RCCL gift certificates

Are there RCCL gift certificates.

https://www.royalcaribbeancertificates.com/

Can they be purchased to be given out as gifts.

Yes

Do the recipients have to be known at the time of purchase?

No

Can you only purchase them for people only booked on a cruise?

No

Thank you in advance

Your welcome

:)

My parents called the cruise line and bought OBC for us for Christmas. There's supposed to be something waiting for us in our stateroom when we board. I'm fairly sure that there's two ways to go about this-either the website mentioned above, or calling and buying OBC for someone. The downside to the latter is that my mom had to do some sneaky detective work to track down our reservation number in order to keep it a secret till Christmas. Also, gifet certificates can be used either to pay the cruise balance or as OBC, so they're a little more flexible. There was a strange redemption process the last time I used one, though.

If you give or get one of these certificates...PLEASE immediately register with RCCL. I waited until I got aboard and went to guest services and they could do nothing for me. After great angst and an hour of whining and crying, the ambassador finally got approval from corporate to give me the OBC, but it was really nasty. You have to register the certificate something like at least 10 days out from the cruise you're going on and then the OBC will be in the computer system when you check in. Otherwise, you are taking your chances. I was in the wrong because I didn't read the fine print on the certificate and I never dreamed it wouldn't be a simple matter for guest services to just "get" the info on their computer.

My parents called the cruise line and bought OBC for us for Christmas. There's supposed to be something waiting for us in our stateroom when we board. I'm fairly sure that there's two ways to go about this-either the website mentioned above, or calling and buying OBC for someone. The downside to the latter is that my mom had to do some sneaky detective work to track down our reservation number in order to keep it a secret till Christmas. Also, gifet certificates can be used either to pay the cruise balance or as OBC, so they're a little more flexible. There was a strange redemption process the last time I used one, though.

It's the registration process. I would NOT count on an OBC certificate in my room!!!! You should have gotten or received the certificate itself by now and you Must register through RCCL or you may end up like we did, begging for credit at Guest Services. Better to call them and discuss in detail and have the certificate number when you call.

It's the registration process. I would NOT count on an OBC certificate in my room!!!! You should have gotten or received the certificate itself by now and you Must register through RCCL or you may end up like we did, begging for credit at Guest Services. Better to call them and discuss in detail and have the certificate number when you call.

There is a difference between buying OBC for someone & giving someone a gift certificate...my sister called RCL and purchased OBC for my dad for Father's Day and he had a card waiting in his cabin...for my 10 yr anniversary at work they gave me an RCL gift certificate...I DID have to go online & redeem it, but I thought the process was very easy...I used it as a deposit for a cruise I had booked.

We were given a gift cert. for On Board Credit and it came through the mail to us. Yes, you do have to redeem it at least 10 days prior to sailing. Since I didn't, that is what caused the trouble. So I guess the gifter must specify exactly what they want to give.

I got a gift certificate and redeemed it online for OBC. When I got onboard, there was a card in the cabin showing that I had OBC from the gift card. HOWEVER . . . by day 3 it still hadn't shown up on my onboard account. I went to the customer service desk with the card and the confirmation that had been emailed to me when I redeemed the certificate online. At first the customer service people didn't want to help at all. They told me they had no record of the OBC despite the card that was left in my cabin and I needed to contact the Miami office. UNACCEPTABLE! I insisted on getting it resolved because I wasn't going to spend my money on a long-distance call to the RC office in Miami because of an RC error. I eventully got to call Miami from the customer service desk with the customer service rep listening. The Miami office had a record of my OBC but it wasn't showing up on the shipboard system. Computer error. The Miami rep faxed a copy of her screen print to the ship rep who added it to my account.

There is a difference between buying OBC for someone & giving someone a gift certificate...my sister called RCL and purchased OBC for my dad for Father's Day and he had a card waiting in his cabin...for my 10 yr anniversary at work they gave me an RCL gift certificate...I DID have to go online & redeem it, but I thought the process was very easy...I used it as a deposit for a cruise I had booked.

For those interested, the OBC code is #651, just call RC's Bon Voyage department at (800) 722-5443 with passenger name and reservation number. You can ask the rep to send you a confirmation of the OBC purchase.

The Gift Certificates are nice, I purchased one and donated it to a United Way auction fundraiser. The winning bidder put it toward their balance of a cruise already booked.

My husband and I were going on a cruise on Voyager of the Seas January 10, 2010. My sister purchased two $100 gift certificates for us as a Christmas present. The actual certificates did not show up until January 5th. We took them on board, and on day 2 I went to the purser's office with them. The woman on the desk had no idea what they were, so took them in the back, and was gone for 10 minutes. When she returned, she informed me that they needed to be redeemed 10 days prior to the sailing. As we had received gift certificates for other cruise lines, which do NOT have this requirement, I was shocked. One does not have to redeem a gift certificate for a department store, or a restaurant 10 days in advance of using it. She said simply that there was nothing they could do. I explained that I didn't even have the certificates ten days prior to sailing, but she maintained that there was nothing to be done, I could use them on another cruise, they didn't expire. I called the corporate office, getting the same response, nothing could be done. Even though they had my sister's $200 in their hands. Even though we didn't get the certificates 10 days prior to sailing. Even though they were fancy, official gift certificates from RCCL, with no doubt of their validity. I was, to say the least, furious. Yes, we cruise fairly frequently, and yes, we will probably cruise with RCCL again, so we will get the $200 at some point. But what about the person who gets a gift certificate for what may be a once in a lifetime cruise? My big question to RCCL is how much money have they received for unredeemed gift certificates, how much money do they have in their coffers that goes unclaimed, the amount is probably staggering. It is a travesty of the gift certificate program and to my mind very nearly criminal for them to accept money and then refuse to allow the recipient to use it unless their narrow and ridiculous criteria are met. Shame on you, Royal Caribbean!

My husband and I were going on a cruise on Voyager of the Seas January 10, 2010. My sister purchased two $100 gift certificates for us as a Christmas present. The actual certificates did not show up until January 5th. We took them on board, and on day 2 I went to the purser's office with them. The woman on the desk had no idea what they were, so took them in the back, and was gone for 10 minutes. When she returned, she informed me that they needed to be redeemed 10 days prior to the sailing. As we had received gift certificates for other cruise lines, which do NOT have this requirement, I was shocked. One does not have to redeem a gift certificate for a department store, or a restaurant 10 days in advance of using it. She said simply that there was nothing they could do. I explained that I didn't even have the certificates ten days prior to sailing, but she maintained that there was nothing to be done, I could use them on another cruise, they didn't expire. I called the corporate office, getting the same response, nothing could be done. Even though they had my sister's $200 in their hands. Even though we didn't get the certificates 10 days prior to sailing. Even though they were fancy, official gift certificates from RCCL, with no doubt of their validity. I was, to say the least, furious. Yes, we cruise fairly frequently, and yes, we will probably cruise with RCCL again, so we will get the $200 at some point. But what about the person who gets a gift certificate for what may be a once in a lifetime cruise? My big question to RCCL is how much money have they received for unredeemed gift certificates, how much money do they have in their coffers that goes unclaimed, the amount is probably staggering. It is a travesty of the gift certificate program and to my mind very nearly criminal for them to accept money and then refuse to allow the recipient to use it unless their narrow and ridiculous criteria are met. Shame on you, Royal Caribbean!

Love how Royal Caribbean is the bad guy because you failed to read.

That's harsh. I wouldn't expect one had to register a gift certificate 10 days before using so I've learned something new. Just reinforces my belief that gift cards are dumb and much easier and versatile to just give cash.

That's harsh. I wouldn't expect one had to register a gift certificate 10 days before using so I've learned something new. Just reinforces my belief that gift cards are dumb and much easier and versatile to just give cash.

I don't know why one has to register it, but let's remember that this is a ship not just any retail outlet. The registration requirement is clearly noted and it isn't even fine print:

Cruise Vacation Gift Certificates

s.gif

The Gift of Adventure: Purchase a cruise gift certificate for a friend or relative to be applied toward the cost of a cruise or onboard credit for spa treatments, gift shop, bar, specialty restaurants, and more. Amazing new places, unforgettable experiences, innovative onboard activities... Be ready for a giant bear hug and a slew of thank-yous.

If you would like to purchase an On-board credit for an existing reservation, please call 800-722-5443. (Gift Certificates cannot be applied to sailings within 10 days.) (emphasis added)

After clicking to the next page in red it says:

Your cruise vacation reservation(s) must be made at least fourteen (14) business days prior to the sail date and/or the gift certificate must be redeemed before the final payment date (at least ten (10) business days prior to the sail date).

An inch below that:

How to Redeem Your Gift Certificates

Gift certificates can be redeemed as a payment towards your cruise vacation or may be used as an onboard credit. Gift certificates must be redeemed prior to your cruise vacation. Gift certificates can not be redeemed onboard.

Click on the Redeem button and it says twice that they cannot be redeemed onboard.

The same thing happened to me on our last cruise...we couldn't redeem the gift certificate because we failed to register it on-line 10 days prior to sailing. Please forgive me, but what other company/store/etc...requires you to register a gift certificate 10 days prior to using it? That is just ridiculous! The only fine print that I have been told to notice on a gift card is the expiration date...not a registration process!

I would not recommend a RCCL gift certificate. They are just not user friendly. Give cash!

I don't know why one has to register it, but let's remember that this is a ship not just any retail outlet. The registration requirement is clearly noted and it isn't even fine print:

Cruise Vacation Gift Certificates

s.gif

The Gift of Adventure: Purchase a cruise gift certificate for a friend or relative to be applied toward the cost of a cruise or onboard credit for spa treatments, gift shop, bar, specialty restaurants, and more. Amazing new places, unforgettable experiences, innovative onboard activities... Be ready for a giant bear hug and a slew of thank-yous.

If you would like to purchase an On-board credit for an existing reservation, please call 800-722-5443. (Gift Certificates cannot be applied to sailings within 10 days.) (emphasis added)

After clicking to the next page in red it says:

Your cruise vacation reservation(s) must be made at least fourteen (14) business days prior to the sail date and/or the gift certificate must be redeemed before the final payment date (at least ten (10) business days prior to the sail date).

An inch below that:

How to Redeem Your Gift Certificates

Gift certificates can be redeemed as a payment towards your cruise vacation or may be used as an onboard credit. Gift certificates must be redeemed prior to your cruise vacation. Gift certificates can not be redeemed onboard.

Click on the Redeem button and it says twice that they cannot be redeemed onboard.

Maybe someday I will grow up to be as smart as you are.

Archived