Land itinerary try #2– hopefully less ridiculous this time (long-ish)

recker

After being (appropriately) chastised for an unrealistic land-itinerary, I’ve done some more reading and managed to convince my wife that we need to add a couple more days to our vacation. Here’s a second try at a framework - comments welcomed. Some of our constraints follow:

• We’re National Park junkies, so it’s important to us to visit Denali, Wrangell-St. Elias, and Kenai Fjords.
  • Lodging availability dictates what days we can visit Wrangell-St. Elias
  • We’ve taken feedback to heart and tried to minimize daily driving, subject to our other constraints.
  • The cruise departs from Whittier; this is not negotiable
  • We can’t get any more time off work

Thu: Arrive Anchorage

Fri: Anchorage – Denali

Sat: Denali, shuttle to Eielson; abandon shuttle and hike during return

Sun: Denali – Anchorage (or Fairbanks)

(Comment #1: We would look at activity options – such as flightseeing -- for Friday afternoon/evening and/or Sunday morning (both at the park and driving to/from) and plan our driving accordingly)

Mon: Anchorage (or Fairbanks) – Copper Center

Tue: Day trip Fly-in/Fly-out to McCarthy/Kennicott

Wed: Copper Center – Valdez

(Comment 2: no activities defined here yet. Probably mostly land-based rather than water-based due to other planned water activities see below)

Thu: Slow ferry Valdez – Whittier, drive to Seward (short stop at Exit Glacier)

Fri: Kenai Fjords boat tour

Sat: Negotiate transfers/one-way rental car drop off to Whittier, half-day kayak excursion, embark ship.

(Comment 3: worst case scenario is that we have to drive to Anchorage Friday night after the Kenai Fjords tour. Both sets of parents might join us for the cruise, and if so, it would good for family harmony to meet up with them in Anchorage Friday night)

While this might be a more aggressive schedule than some would prefer, I don’t think it’s too bad for us – it includes our most important interests, doesn’t have too much driving in any single day, and has a little bit of time for spontaneity built it in. It would be nice to have an extra day in Valdez, since we’re committed to Wrangell St. Elias, but we can at least see the southern part of the Richardson Hwy and sightsee via the slow ferry rather than backtrack. It would be nicer to not have two “boat” days in a row (ferry + Kenai), and I hope we don’t have to return to Anchorage, but I can live with it.

I’m mostly posting to help get my thoughts in order, but I’d also appreciate any feedback from the veterans.

You need to decide, what direction you are going after Denali Park?? IF you are returning south, I would NOT be going back to Anchorage. I would stay in Wasilla/ Palmer and save an hour in driving.

Otherwise, this is a doable itinerary, for the limited time you have.

This looks pretty good to me. I would second Budget Queen's recommendation of spending the night in the Palmer-Wasilla area if you take the southern route, as it saves not only an hour on both Sunday and Monday, but you are also likely to find cheaper accommodations.

Unless there is something you really want to do on the Glennallen-Fairbanks-Denali portion, I recommend the southern route, as otherwise you are missing a beautiful drive http://www.dot.state.ak.us/stwdplng/scenic/byways-glenn.shtml. Also, the Richardson Highway north of Glennallen can be a slow drive because of frost heaves.

Nice to read you're going to do some hiking in Denali. It really adds a new perspective once you hop off the shuttle and see it slowing driving away leaving you in the middle of nowwhere.

There are areas of the park that are off limits. Last year you had to stay on the road around Sable Pass due to the proximity of a wolf den.

This was taken at East Fork Toklat River.

http://picasaweb.google.com/AlaskaTravelFun/DenaliNationalPark#5362817288577886834

I would stay in Wasilla/ Palmer and save an hour in driving.

Thanks for the feedback. Would you believe that I've looked at a map dozens of times and I should know this, but for some reason I keep wanting to put Anchorage where Palmer is -- no disrespect intended to the good citizens of either place.

We're pretty close to starting to lock in some things. The one decision we still have to make is this: Despite our prior conviction that we have to get to Kenai Fjords on this trip, we're now seriously considering staying in Valdez and extra day instead, so we can do the Columbia Glacier kayak trip. We can ride in a boat long after we're not fit enough to kayak, right?

Thanks to everyone of the board for posting such great information. I would have had ten times as many questions, otherwise.

As time slips by, and suddenly you realize you can't do some of those things you always thought you'd get around to (whether it be time, money, world political climate, or physical capability), it becomes more important (I think) to make difficult choices based on "which is more likely to become less available to me in the future?" I'd go for the kayaking. I've climbed the mountains above Columbia Glacier twice (one of those things I won't be doing again!), and it is a beautiful area. Looking down over the glacier and hearing it is a memory I'll never forget.

Thanks for the feedback. Would you believe that I've looked at a map dozens of times and I should know this, but for some reason I keep wanting to put Anchorage where Palmer is -- no disrespect intended to the good citizens of either place.

We're pretty close to starting to lock in some things. The one decision we still have to make is this: Despite our prior conviction that we have to get to Kenai Fjords on this trip, we're now seriously considering staying in Valdez and extra day instead, so we can do the Columbia Glacier kayak trip. We can ride in a boat long after we're not fit enough to kayak, right?

Thanks to everyone of the board for posting such great information. I would have had ten times as many questions, otherwise.

I did the Columbia Glacier kayak trip a few years ago and its one of the most amazing things I have EVER done. You won't believe how 'up close and personal' you get - even paddling single file between big chunks of ice. Do it if you get the chance. You will not be sorry.

Archived