Heads up - Wacoal sports bra

alidor

We recently had some long flights to travel on and I wanted a new comfortable bra. Wacoal came out with some new sports bras and I bought the underwire one.

It was comfortable but it also set off security alarms at 2 out of 2 airports. At the first one, I thought it was a fluke after getting a complete pat down. At the second airport, I realized it wasn't a fluke as again the bra set off alarms and I underwent another total pat down. There was no doubt it's the underwire in the bra.

I contacted Wacoal immediately as I thought they should be advised what their new bra was doing. I left a message with their consumer department and no one contacted me. I sent a message via their website advising what happened, again, no response. When we returned, almost a month later, I contacted them again and spoke with someone this time in their consumer relations department who didn't really much care. She flippantly said that's happened to her. I've been wearing underwires my entire life and it's never happened to me because of my bra. This sports bra is the only time it's happened.

I did not wear the bra on the planes home as we had to go through 2 security checks in Asian countries and I didn't want to hassle with their security and the language!

Security is now enough hassle without the added hassle of some bra setting off alarms. But, it's even more frustrating when the manufacturer really doesn't seem to care.

My bras have done this several times, both before and after 9/11. Always a fun time to be standing in the security line with the wand going crazy right over my boobs. My belly button ring has occasionally set them off too, and that makes be happy I don't have any more "personal" piercings. :eek:

I guess some do but the point I was making that even though I've worn underwires my entire life, I never had a problem (and we fly a lot) until I bought this specific sports bra. When notifiying the company about the problem, their attitude of not really caring, really left a bad taste in my mouth about Wacoal.

I too have had my underwire bra set off alarms in airports. I fly pretty often and I have to say that it has happened more frequently very recently. I wouldn't be surprised if they haven't lowered the level of the metal detectors to be more sensitive.

I really don't see how you can blame Wacoal for this one?? I have read for years about underwire bras setting off detectors. I guess you have just been lucky in your choice of bras previously. (Just curious -- what brand did you wear before?)

Not all security machines are the same. Detection levels can be set more/less sensitive as well. So a manufacturer really cannot please everyone, all the time, in all countries.

I wear underwires exclusively. In 30+ years of flying my bra has never set off a machine. And if it did, I'd accept the further screening and get on with my travel....

I wear an underwire and have set off machines every single time while Europe and especially inter Europe flights.

Rarely in the USA ....

it just depends on how sensitive the machine is

I usually say as I'm about to walk through I'm wearing an underwire bra or if English is a problem I point to my bra area...

Also, I should point out to those of you that this hasn't happened to YET..

that only in the USA or a Muslim country will you get a woman to pat you down

just something to be aware of depending on your comfort level

Archived