Balcony worth the cost on an April transatlantic?

INeedaVacationNow

I have only been on Celebrity once, so I have limited experience. The cruise I took was a transatlantic, and I would say the smokers were considerate and smoked in designated areas by and large. However, it must have been in the cabin next to us that people were smoking on their balconies. The ship was moving, but the cigarette smoke was noticeable, and one day quite strong. Must have been more than one smoking at the same time. I called the pursers desk, but unfortunately the person who answered the phone was not willing to send out any crew to address it. And I did not feel comfortable yelling across the barrier for whoever to knock it off. I hear other passengers who have called to report a smoker received a much more helpful response, so perhaps I just had the bad luck of having an apathetic crew member take the call that day.

Just off Solstice Eastern Caribbean and pleased to report no smoking in any interior spaces except one - port side Sky Lounge, a huge room that non smokers can enjoy without any worry.

Others in my family who do smoke were pleased to report that a few smoking passengers who attempted balcony smokes followed by evidence flushed down the toilet were caught and billed $250 each (for cleaning?), the amount previously advised in the "no smoking" letter sent to all as you board.

Allegedly, one of those fined was part of the family of the "famous celebrity" who had a large group booking.

This might well be nothing but hearsay but the main point is that Celebrity IS enforcing their smoking policy!

Dave

First let me acknowledge that I have never done a transatlantic cruise, although I want to do one.

We are recently off of a Panama Canal cruise on the Constellation. The two week cruise had seven days in port and seven days at sea. We loved the sea days, relaxing on the balcony with coffee and fruit in the morning before we went up for breakfast; in the afternoon, reading a book; in the evening enjoying the stars and gentle breeze. We also like to leave the balcony door open and sleep with the sound of the sea.

Thus, I anticipate that I would thoroughly enjoy a balcony on a transatlantic cruise PROVIDING that the weather was conducive to its enjoyment, namely a comfortable temperature and humidity. So, I guess it would depend upon the season.

We loved our balcony on our Solstice TA last April. Pricing for TAs are so good- why not splurge! The weather was great for our crossing. A little windy on deck..about in the 60s mid Atlantic. We felt we used the balcony quite a bit plus I love cracking the door and hearing the ship cut through the water at night. Do it and enjoy. TAs are fantastic!

We were on this cruise with Gail and we loved the balcony...in fact...I guess I'm one of those balcony "snobs"...just can't go without it! Love the option to just walk out there, take a look around...keep the door open for awhile...check out the ports as we sail in etc etc etc!!

It was rather windy on this particular TA...but the seas weren't rough ...I think each crossing is the luck of the draw...but we've done the Southern TA's twice now (each direction...one in April and one in early December) and have "lucked out" with the weather! LuAnn

Archived