Balcony worth the cost on an April transatlantic?

INeedaVacationNow

We are thinking about doing a transatlantic cruise on the Equinox in April and wonder if booking a balcony room is worth it. The cruise leaves on 4/19/10. If the weather is cooler, would we even get much use out of the balcony? What kind of weather have you had in April crossings and did you get to use your balcony very much?

We loved our balcony on our Solstice TA last April. Pricing for TAs are so good- why not splurge! The weather was great for our crossing. A little windy on deck..about in the 60s mid Atlantic. We felt we used the balcony quite a bit plus I love cracking the door and hearing the ship cut through the water at night. Do it and enjoy. TAs are fantastic!

We are usually inside cabin cruisers, but for our TA on Solstice last December the price of a balcony was too good to turn down. We did not anticipate getting much use out of it in December, but we had wonderful weather and sat outside every day. It was very cool in the evenings though. You can never tell what the weather will be like. We loved the balcony, but generally would rather cruise more often in a lower priced cabin. We are back inside for our upcoming Mercury cruise, but next time we see a bargain balcony we will snap it up!

Sheila

Even if it's too chilly to be on your balcony a lot, you can have your drapes open and you've got a glass wall to the ocean. Unless you're only in your cabin to sleep, I'd say definitely get the balcony. Especially since TA rates are such a great deal.

We also did the Dec Solstice TA, and loved our balcony. Especially for a TA. We had breakfast out there a few times, and just really enjoyed the sound of the sea, the special views of looking forward and aft during sunrise (well, not that many times!) and sunset. fantastic.

trouble is, you may become addicted and like us, get a balcony for all cruises.

It's an economic decision, but if its within your budget, go for it - TA's are perfect times for Balconies with so many Sea Days.

Denny

Traveling as a single I booked an inside for a TA across the hallway from my family. I figured I would enjoy their balcony. Then the prices came down and I got a balcony for just $12 more than I originally paid. I ended up really enjoying it. Having a glass wall makes a big difference compared to a porthole or even a window. I like to pop outside to check the weather or catch a view coming into or leaving port. It is nice to do that on your balcony without having to quickly dress to go on deck. Just throw on a pair of shorts and no need for shoes.

I read my Kindle out on the balcony on the crossing even when the weather was cool. If you can afford the balcony and are not one of those people who spend every waking moment in the public areas, go for the balcony.

We did the inaugural transatlantic crossing on Equinox in November. Even with the unpredictable weather at that time of year (or any time of year, for that matter:rolleyes:), we were still able to make quite a bit of use of our balcony. Just do your homework before choosing a cabin. We were able to get cabin 8279 (thanks to a fellow CCer who upgraded to a Concierge level cabin) and that is the first cabin past the "hump". That means that the balcony is always "downside" or away from the wind. We were able to use the balcony every day -- reading, breakfasting, fresh air without extreme wind, simply enjoying the view.

If you are considering an eastbound TA (US to Europe) in April and like morning sun, pick a cabin on the starboard (right) side of the ship. If you like sun in the late afternoon, choose port (left) side.

Enjoy whatever cabin you choose:D

We went Concierge Class balcony on the April 2008 Summit TA. We could use the balcony only maybe 3 days out of 12.

If you decide to get one, I would go for the cheapest one. However, you do get an extra cruise credit for CC class and higher, if that's important to you.

I believe you have a higher chance for better weather on an October TA.

We crossed in Dec and only had two days of rain/cruddy Wx. Our TA on the Constellation on '07 was in Apr and it was like glass. Smooth, warm (70's) and beautiful all the way.

On USN ships, I've done 10 Atlantic crossings: the wx is usually better in the Spring, but our Cruise Ships stay on the Southern route out of the Caribbean and stay a bit South till coming up on the Med, or slips up to UK if that is their destination to stay out of the N Atlantic which can get sporty, but is also usually nice in Fall/Spring for these crossings.

But making Wx predictions is like saying what the Market is going to do: if I actually could predict beyond 10 days or so let alone months, I'd own my own cruise ship.

Denny

The time to try a balcony is on a trans-atlantic cruise because the pricing is usually a bargain for the upgrade. We've tried balcony, oceanview, obstructed, and inside. Have settled on inside cabins because we use it only to sleep, shower and dress. We don't like to spend time in the cabin. Prefer to spend the time & money elsewhere on the cruise. No matter what you decide, your cruise will be a great lasting memory. Have fun.

With a TA, the opportunity to just sit and enjoy the peace and quiet on a balcony and gazing out at the sea, just the two of you is priceless.

Plan breakfasts there when ever you can, a nice mid afternoon snack, some reading, some relaxing in the nice sun, closing your eyes and napping and every now and then seeing another ship.

Its bliss.

I'm hoping I can afford a balcony cabin on my next transatlantic. There are so many sea days, so to me there is more chance to make use of the balcony than on a port intensive itinerary. It was great to have a little more space, be able to pop out and take a look at the sea at night without changing back into street clothes. You can't count on the weather, but our crossing was warm and smooth water most of the time.

If you are considering an eastbound TA (US to Europe) in April and like morning sun, pick a cabin on the starboard (right) side of the ship. If you like sun in the late afternoon, choose port (left) side.

:D

If the ship is heading eastbound and is in the northern hemisphere (north of the Tropic of Cancer), wouldn't the sun always be on the starboard side, although forward in the morning and behind in the afternoon? :confused: The sun would be on the port side in the evening only if the ship were heading more north than east. And it would always be on the port side if the ship were heading westbound, as on a Europe to US trans-Atlantic crossing.

If the ship is heading eastbound and is in the northern hemisphere (north of the Tropic of Cancer), wouldn't the sun always be on the starboard side, although forward in the morning and behind in the afternoon? :confused: The sun would be on the port side in the evening only if the ship were heading more north than east. And it would always be on the port side if the ship were heading westbound, as on a Europe to US trans-Atlantic crossing.

That's exactly what I was thinking too!

We never go without a balcony, so we're a bit jaded here. However, our last TA was with an Aft balcony, and it was in April - an eastbound crossing from Miami to Rome. That gave us gorgeous sunsets every evening - so we spent a lot of time on the balcony. If you can get it - do an Aft balcony.

That's exactly what I was thinking too!

Our cruise last port were The Canary Islands in November. The direction of the ship was pretty much south and west heading toward Nassau for a point of reference during the 6 day cross.

So with the bow heading down from the Med and across the Atlantic toward the Carribbean, much of the sun was going from the stern of the ship to the bow most of the day along the port side.

We are thinking about doing a transatlantic cruise on the Equinox in April and wonder if booking a balcony room is worth it. The cruise leaves on 4/19/10. If the weather is cooler, would we even get much use out of the balcony? What kind of weather have you had in April crossings and did you get to use your balcony very much?

YES, YES AND YES We sailed from New York to Southampton last April aboard the QM2 and while my wife was enjoying the balcony, I was aft in the hottub!

I believe you have a higher chance for better weather on an October TA.

I have sailed two WB TA's (November) and the best weather I've experienced by far was the April 2008 EB TA. The weather the majority of the cruise was sunny, and warm (think caribbean). I find a balcony to be enjoyable and a nice luxury. Transatlantics are the best and either would be very enjoyable. It is nice to have breakfast on your balcony and have that large floor to ceiling window as well as a reading spot and your own semi-private outdoor space.

With the current price spread from an inerior to a balcony on that TA ($600 ppx2=$1200), I would opt for the interior cabin....but I'm on a budget and that is the price of another cruise for me.

We took the TA on Solstice on that same date last year. It was a little chilly and windy (mid-60's) the 6 days crossing the pond, but once we got into the Med, the weather was great -- mid-70's. We got a lot of use out of the balcony.

We are RCCL cruisers and just read that Celebrity does NOT allow smoking on its balconies. We are now considering switching to Celebrity because of that. My question: is this true? Do the pax follow that rule? We balcony spoiled and are excited about the possibility of sailing on a ship with non-smoking balconies.

We are RCCL cruisers and just read that Celebrity does NOT allow smoking on its balconies. We are now considering switching to Celebrity because of that. My question: is this true? Do the pax follow that rule? We balcony spoiled and are excited about the possibility of sailing on a ship with non-smoking balconies.

Yes, it is true. I have not observed any violations.

Archived