Live From -Star Princess Antartica 2/2/10

ccrain

I have to say I am enjoying the naturalists a lot on this cruise. (Our last alaska cruise was a bit of a downer.) We have three naturalists, an ice pilot, a couple of other pilots. The three naturalists are really, really good. Dr. Stonehouse....

30-50 knots wind. Captain Perrin is on the horn right now. Hmmm, we had to abort going into iceberg alley. The wind made it difficult to avoid the icebergs. Headed into Admiralty Bay, instead, to drop off a couple of research scientists and pick up a few. Then we will see from there. Oh and its snowing. This is so cool!

...actually was a pioneer in this area in the 40's. Pre-internet, pre-satellite, pre-anything. His descriptions and narrations are interesting, full of information and amusing. All of them are doing a great job and provide a great perspective on the sights we are seeing. And the neat thing is we're getting perspectives from a biological, historical, geological and oceanagraphic point of view all at the same time.

So, that's it for today. Wind is blowing, ship is rocking, snow is falling, its cold, I'm watching ice bergs go by the window and we are having a blast..

Yack at ya later...

Keep up the narration, I'm loving hearing about it. My trip last year was fantastic and its nice to re live it thru you.

Here is a small tip for you. I would have really loved to have the navigation chart they auction off for this trip but knew it was way out of my budget. So I made my own, using a bunch of the stock photos the ships photographers took and placed them surrounding the Antarctic Peninsula map you probably had delivered to your cabin into a big frame. It hangs on my office wall as a really nice reminder of a fantastic cruise

Iceberg alley was cancelled. Darn. But when a ship is blown sideways faster than forward motion, its time to reconsider dodging icebergs. When we awoke this morning I noticed the drastic rudder changes the Captain was making from the wake behind us.

So we tried one approach to Admiralty Bay and the wind speed went up to 50-60 knots. Approach aborted, but we tried around 3pm local and made it in. We've picked up a few researchers and are dropping off a few more, along with some supplies. The researchers are currently ensconced in Vines having pastries and double espressos from the international cafe. I imagine the Captain is picking up the tab.

Not much else happening today. We spent most of the day keeping station out in the strait, away from any ice while it snowed and blowed. Snow is falling on our balcony right now. Snow. Go figure. As you can imagine most of the public areas are full to capacity as people get in from the cold, so we just kept to ourselves in the cabin, watching some TV and taking occassional photos of icebergs as they blew by.

At 4pm we tried the italian flight of wines. Since we missed lunch, we were ready for some sashimi, sushi, tapas and cheeses. A nice snack. The plan for the night is a little dancing, then dinner, then more dancing. We'll see what the captain has in mind for the ship around 5pm as we leave Admiralty Bay. I suspect we'll head south to the Glacier and completely skip the antarctic sound.

At least we don't have to shovel snow...

Our invite to Chef's table tomorrow night came in. Really looking forward to it.

Thanks for this thread, I think the thing I was most looking forward to this coming December was the Falkland Islands, but reading about the fun with Antarctica I think that's now #1 (I loved Glacier bay and College Fjord). Being from MN 30 deg weather sounds just fine and dandy ;)

I am sooo enjoying your thread. Someday I really want to see Antarctia!! I am concerned about the sea conditions. I don't get seasick -- just would have problems sleeping through lots of ship movement.

Your description of the Antarctic sound was amazing. Everything you wrote was exactly the reasons I too want to see it. Someday!!

THANKS for taking the time to write your thread! :D:D

We were on the prior two cruises (1/5 Santiago to Buenos Aires and 1/17 Buenos Aires roundtrip inc. Antarctica). The weather is always a wild card. We missed the Falklands on the first cruise but had sunny and warm (for the Falklands) weather on the second cruise. We got to see a lot of Antarctica although we left a day early due to an approaching storm. We really lucked out in going through Iceberg Alley on a sunny day. Bundled up, we could sit on our balcony.

Captain Perrin is a sweetie and very friendly. The prior captain - William Kent - is now on vacation. He really needed it since he was Captain Crabby.:)

I am enjoying your live posting. I"m looking forward to hearing about the Chef's Table. We're not familiar with that - please explain. Is it by invitation only, or do you sign up? Is there a charge/how much?

Nancy

Wow! your descriptions today really fueled my interest more for this trip! Right now it looks like 2012 before we embarke on this great ride. Thanks for sharing your visuals on the ice bergs, landscapes and wildlife. Can't wait to hear more.

I am enjoying your live posting. I"m looking forward to hearing about the Chef's Table. We're not familiar with that - please explain. Is it by invitation only, or do you sign up? Is there a charge/how much?

Nancy

yes, there is a charge of $75 pp but it is well worth it!!! The amount of food and wine pairing is amazing:D

When you get onboard you must call the dine line and give them your name. Depending on the length of the cruise will depend on how many they offer.

If you check some of the princess threads you'll find very detailed descriptions. I've done it twice and plan on signing up on my next cruise:)

The posts from people planning to take this cruise in the future (me included!) just reminded me of something: am I remembering correctly that there's a law change and the Antarctic cruises this upcoming Dec./Jan. (2010/2011) on Princess will be the last ones they can do? Or did I dream this?

The posts from people planning to take this cruise in the future (me included!) just reminded me of something: am I remembering correctly that there's a law change and the Antarctic cruises this upcoming Dec./Jan. (2010/2011) on Princess will be the last ones they can do? Or did I dream this?

Dreaming the same thing:p Or is 2011/2012 the last one???

We are booked 2010.2011. Yes there has been several posts about this, but do not know the definite end date.

Dreaming the same thing:p Or is 2011/2012 the last one???

We are booked 2010.2011. Yes there has been several posts about this, but do not know the definite end date.

Hmmm, maybe I'll be joining you then -- wouldn't want to wait and miss my chance! By the way, I'm bright green with envy over your proposed itinerary: the TA from Rome and then the Antarctic for a 36 day cruise. That totally rocks!

Some Housekeeping Items:

this will be our 4th Chef's table and can hardly wait. it is $75 per person and worth every penny for an 11 course meal with 4 different paired wines. Quite an experience.

The 2011 cruises will be the last for princess for the forseeable future as the treaty that takes effect in March 2011 prohibits ships that use heavy fuel oil, as does all the princess ships. They need new ships basically.

yesterday was a bust as far as weather goes. Fog, snow, wind. After Admiralty bay we basically set course for the Neumayer Channel and its 3 glaciers.

We made it to the 65th parallel today via the Gerlache Strait. One incredible ride with sunshine, blue skies and the brightest white snow and deepest blue ice you will ever see. Whales, penguins, seals, icebergs, you name it. The cold foggy air flowing down off the plateau of the antarctic penninsula was an incredible sight. After freezing up on deck, we hotfooted to our aft, and relatively wind free, balcony with sunshine to keep up warm. From there we spotted the whales, the penguins, the seals, the huge icebergs, really, really neat.

However, we got to the end of Anvers island, turned to go into the Bismark Strait and then into the Neumayer Channel and hit 80 knot wind gusts coming down off the plateau - catiabatic I think its called. Never felt a Grand Class ship get blown around like that. rudder was hard over, the propeller wake going off to one side, and we were headed sideways, blown by the wind. About a 5-10 degree list.

So the Captain called off trying to manuver into the Channel with that kind of wind. So he did a 180 and we headed back up the Gerlache Strait, dodging icebergs as we went. We're now about 60 nm back north up the strait and not having to dodge nearly as many icebergs as further south in the narrower part of the channel.

We're headed to Deception Island for a 0700 look see tomorrow morning. then its off to the Drake Passage. The Capt just came on the PA and said the weather doesn't look too good for the passage, but not as bad as a couple of days ago or a couple of days from now. Oh well, it will be what it will be.

so, have to go to Chef's table now. We will be drinking as much wine as we can hold.

See ya all later...

You make Antarctica sound so special I'm sorry we did not see it.My son had to be back in college end of January now I'm tempted to try again next year ...Wasn't I the person who said South America NEVER again !!!!! go figure!!!

I would love to experience Antarctica ,see the icebergs and wildlife but TItanic images creep back into my head ...Just how far are you from them .Were you ever in any danger? Could you have been /

What are todays hulls like /Were you ever scared Do tell more .I love reading your transcripts

Wishing you calm seas and blue skies

Michele

Hmmm, maybe I'll be joining you then -- wouldn't want to wait and miss my chance! By the way, I'm bright green with envy over your proposed itinerary: the TA from Rome and then the Antarctic for a 36 day cruise. That totally rocks!

Still some good pricing available. Jump in, the water is fine!:D

You make Antarctica sound so special I'm sorry we did not see it.My son had to be back in college end of January now I'm tempted to try again next year ...Wasn't I the person who said South America NEVER again !!!!! go figure!!!

I would love to experience Antarctica ,see the icebergs and wildlife but TItanic images creep back into my head ...Just how far are you from them .Were you ever in any danger? Could you have been /

What are todays hulls like /Were you ever scared Do tell more .I love reading your transcripts

Wishing you calm seas and blue skies

Michele

The have an ice captain, an additional pilot and a regular captain who is not going to as much get a scratch on the paint of this ship. In fact we just sailed past an iceberg as big as a house about 150-200 feet away. These guys know their business.

The biggest danger, IMHO, is a loss of power while in gale force winds. The Grands are not known for a loss of power, the Sun class has known a power failure or two. But it would be catastrophic to have lost engine power yesterday while in the winds. We would have been driven onto the rocks in a matter of minutes.

The captains on Princess ships have been criticized in the past for not docking, or - wow, that berg is about 300 feet long and 75 feet high - it just floated past the internet cafe windows - being too carefull. They are extra carefull, but they haven't lost a ship yet. They simply won't put the ship or the passengers at risk. That's why the trip into iceberg alley and the trip into neumayer channel yesterday was cancelled.

Antarctica is special, its Alaska cubed. with a whole different ecosystem and relatively untouched. The only other experience similar is my trip to Thule Greenland. I've had the opportunity to climb ice bergs locked in pack ice. But that was a relatively small area compared to the area we covered over the past few days.

Everyone who says it is right, no photos, no pictures, no video does the sights justice. The scale is simply too large, the light changes minute by minute and so does the colors, the shadows. A picture one minute is simply out of date within the next 60 seconds. In a land of ice, snow and rock the color palette is simply incredible, but subdued with blues, browns and whites.

The trip is now half over, but we still have Cape Horn and the end of the world to see in a few days.

So to catch you all up...

Will we ever see your pictures .The way you describe makes me think you are a painter .I love subtle changes in colour when I paint .I loved Alaska and the Glaciers .I could imagine what Antarctica would do for me I'm glad Captains are careful

Enjoy

If you can post pictures

Michele

when we last talked Judy and I were headed to Chef's table. Right now the captain is tooling along deception island. We got right up to the entrance. This is one cool place. An ancient, yet still active, caldera. Think oregon's crater lake with one entrance and a perfect natural harbor. If not for the big rock just under the water in the center of the channel, we could have just tooled right in and had a great time.

So we went to our favorite dining experience on the ship - Chef's Table. And we were not disappointed. Crab ceviche, steak tartare, faus gras and goat cheese tart appetizers in the kitchen with Champagne. then to the table for a lobster, scallop and shrimp risotto. (The wine presentations by Jack, the onboard sommelier, were very nice and informative.) The white wine perfect with the risotto. then our favorite, spicy bloody mary sorbet with grey goose vodka - oh, yum. Then the veal, and the red wine. three different cuts of veal, all prepared wonderfully with an aus jus that was just incredible. Easily the best meat course of all of our chef's tables. And then the dessert wine, with the goat cheese tart with port wine reduction and pine nuts. Oh yeah! the sugar plate dessert was also a great presentation. Everything was edible, topped off by a few more glasses of the dessert wine and a cappicino. A three hour cannot miss experience on any ship. Highly recommended.

Several of the people at the table were newbies, including some of the CC members. They're now converts. Which does make for a very crowded chef's table list. Princess is going to have to think seriously about making it a permanent nightly fixture - something I think would be a great idea.

Last night was simply Chef's table and that was it. we danced a bit before, but not too much and afterwards we just went back to the cabin to watch some TV. We had quite a buzz from all the Champagne, Red, White, Dessert with some Vodka mixed in.

We're not sure about today. The prediction is for rough seas. If so, Judy will be down until we get across the Drake passage. Tonight is a formal night and three Captain's Circle parties. We will see what the weather is like.

So that's it for right now. We'll yak at you tomorrow....

Nice to hear the Chef's Table was yet another great success! I'm hoping that if we get to participate again in a couple of weeks we have a sea day afterwards. Last time we had a full day tour if Iceland which was tough considering how I felt after the dinner and wine the night before:eek:, but I managed.

I also think there may be an opportunity here to allow more to take part in this great experience, but then it may lose it's exclusiveness.....wonder what Princess can come up with?

Enjoy your day!

Archived