Tops optional deck on Summit or an Celebrity Ship

sarahc78

I recently purchased a book on cruising. It reviews most cruise lines and their ships. I noticed that the author mentioned that there was a tops optional deck on Celebrity Cruise ships.

From what I have read on these boards that just seems a little odd and that it may not actually be true.

Is there a tops optional deck on the Summit or any Celebrity ship?

It has been my experience from cruising with Carnival the last 2 years that the "topless" decks are no more. Sorry, guys! :)

I have read recent reviews on Celebrity that indicate the topless decks still exist. Maybe someone who has cruised on Celebrity can chime in and confirm?

From the Celebrity FAQ:

".... Topless sunbathing is permitted on selected vessels in designated areas (contact the Guest Relations Desk for details)."

I have sailed with Celebrity four times now and have yet to knowingly be on a cruise with them where topless sunbathing was permitted but I guess one would have to check with guest relations for details.

I recently purchased a book on cruising. It reviews most cruise lines and their ships. I noticed that the author mentioned that there was a tops optional deck on Celebrity Cruise ships.

From what I have read on these boards that just seems a little odd and that it may not actually be true.

Is there a tops optional deck on the Summit or any Celebrity ship?

Last March on the Infinity (same class as Summit) it was available on a small deck area behind and one level above the Sports Deck - the highest spot a passenger could go on the ship. On that South American cruise only a small handfull of women were topless anytime I walked by there. It was very isolated, and you would have to go out of your way to find this spot. However, there was quite a bit of toplessness around the pool area, but it was confined to men only :D

Mary

The Mercury has one on deck 14 forward (there's only a forward on deck 14). There are small signs posted at the stairways on deck 12 leading to deck 13/14 "warning" you about it.

On the Constellation they had the same sign as you went up the stairs port side foward.

Just spent 2 weeks on Summit ending Jan23.... Saw no topless bathing nor signs for it.

Sarahc - How old is that book? When we first went on Millie in 2003 there were "topless bathing" signs for that Deck 12 forward area described above. That sign was gone by 2006 and I haven't seen it again since.

Just spent 2 weeks on Summit ending Jan23.... Saw no topless bathing nor signs for it.

Sarahc - How old is that book? When we first went on Millie in 2003 there were "topless bathing" signs for that Deck 12 forward area described above. That sign was gone by 2006 and I haven't seen it again since.

It says it is from 2008.

I have never topless sunbathed before.... but I wouldnt be against it.:D

We've seen the signs on all the Celebrity M-class ships - so I do think they hve them. Not sure about the Equinox ships. On the M-class it is the highest forward deck.

When I think of topless sunbathing I think of the following commercial:

The signs are not SIGNS, but rather small bronze ones maybe 3" x 6". You would have to be looking to notice them. And yes, they are usually on the highest deck.

Europeans have such a much better attitude towards any type of nudity! Some times we Americans can just be too uptight!:cool:

The signs are not SIGNS, but rather small bronze ones maybe 3" x 6". You would have to be looking to notice them. And yes, they are usually on the highest deck.

Europeans have such a much better attitude towards any type of nudity! Some times we Americans can just be too uptight!:cool:

On our first cruise on Ruby Princess last year, DW says she saw such a small sign at the stairs to the small top deck. I hadn't noticed it, and she didn't mention it until we were off the ship (:mad:-- just kidding, dear). We were on Solstice a few weeks ago. I wondered if that was the norm on cruise ships, so I looked for a similar sign at the steps to deck 16 on Solstice but did not find one. At one point we were berthed next to Oasis of the Seas and I went up there to get the best possible angle for a snapshot (jeez, that's a big tub), and it happened there was no one there at the time, au naturel or not.

Where it is allowed, I would think there'd be some sort of restriction or taboo to keep immature, curious (all right, horny) twelve-year old boys out. If you have to be looking for warning signs to notice them (and if there was one on Solstice, I didn't see it while I was looking for it), I wouldn't think they'd be very effective. If DW should choose to sunbathe topless, she should not have to be concerned about such an intrusion. Apparently, either it's not a issue, or it may be part of the reason the signs are disappearing. If it is, maybe a gate requiring an adult Seapass card to activate it would solve the problem.

On a related note, I wish someone would come up with a privacy screen for the veranda, so one could enjoy it without being concerned that a neighbor could peek around. Maybe a small wing extension that could be folded back when it's unneeded.

These topless decks are becoming a real problem-it is quite a distraction when I am trying to get to the highest vantage point with my binoculars in order to spot whales or land. It is particular problem near St. Lucia;).

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

PS, there was a sign on the Mercury indicating deck 14 was topless.

Archived