Does anyone remember the Norway?

newjerseygeorge

We only sailed on the Norway once, but it is well remembered. We happened to board early and noticed that we were on the same deck as the "Presidential Suite". We tried the door and were surprised that it was open. WOW what a beautiful suite that was with a huge dining room table, king size beds, and basically all the comforts of home. But the best part was that we were not sailing on a cruise ship per se, but were on a grand "ocean liner" whose days were numbered unfortunately. But I guess time marches on and all good things have to come to an end sometime. We still have our memories, don't we??

We sailed on her 7 times from 1996 to 2003 and had every cabin category from tiny inside to Sundeck suite. George, the maitre'd was wonderful. He's still with NCL but I forgot which ship.

We liked the Sports & Fitness theme cruises. Not that I participated in any thing, except for alcohol related sports, but looking at the athletes and Sammi's hairdressing entourage was fun! :D

I do miss the ship very much, but even if the accident didn't happen, she'd be withdrawn with the new SOLAS rules in place.

I sailed on Norway twice and loved her. Her crew seemed to lover her too. Recently on the Spirit, I was wearing a Norway t-shirt and two crew members commented they had served on the Norway and she was a great ship and one of their favorites. This is kind of surprising since the new ships have better crew quarters. There was something special about that ship.

I had the priviledge to sail on the Norway 3 times. The first was for my honeymoon, July 1980. It was the 3rd sailing as the Norway. Back then the cruiseline made you feel special and there was no more special of a feeling then sailing on the Norway. Top entertainment, great food and service and the envy of all other passengers from other ships. Hearing the saound of her horn as she departed Miami. Being large enough to board from 2 piers. Having to put blue and pink carpet on board so people would know what side of the ship they were on. Classy is the word I would describe the Norway.

We took a family cruise in February 2003; our first cruise. I can still picture my son, who was 18 at the time, rushing up to the Sports Bar at 4:00 everyday to partake in the Mexican buffet for his pre-dinner snack!

I, too, remember the waiters parading through the dining room with the Baked Alaska. What a sight...she sure was a beautiful ship.

-Joanne

lucky to have sailed her once....had a room on the lowest passenger deck and found a "shortcut" to the dining room through a doorway and small set of stairs-quirky-nothing you'd find today. fell in love with dancing on cruises in Club International-again, nothing like that special venue today, on mainstream ships at least. Youtube has an old 1986 Today Show series on the Norway-Bryant Gumball, Jane Pauley...back when they actually had time to tell stories.

My first cruise too! Loved it. Very different from today, but very elegant. Didn't miss all the perks of today. Would like to have the choice to sail an old ship like that or today's megaships! I like both. Next cruise is on the Epic, can't wait!

Yes, lots of the nails at your local home improvement store used to be the hull of the Norway.

My parents went on her, and had a great time. I had an opportunity to go on her but opted for two weeks in Dubai, a decision I will never regret! Nothing like hearing the wail of the mosque ...

Anyway, the Norway, after the fatal explosion, was towed first to Bremerhaven, and finally to Port Kelang, while she was put on the market, as a flaoting hotel in Dubai, ironically, but no one would pay the cost to refit her.

She was beached and cut to pieces at Alang.

I was on the Norway too! We really loved her elegance! I for one will never forget our first experience in Le Bistro. We honestly loved it so much, we only ate one evening in the dining room! Our cheap cruise fare is what got us booked onto this lovely lady, $666 for 2 pp in an inside bunkroom! We really didn't mind much bc we only used the room to sleep and shower. I made a wonderful scrapbook of our cruise week! I even have the room key still (I stole it) and there were no credit card plastic sail and sign cards on the Norway. They gave out this paper cc sized tri-folded brochure that had your cabin number, dining table number and a small scale of the seperate decks. I still how that as well.

I really loved our time spent on this ship, so much so we were planning to return in the fall for our 3rd time but that summer she sadly passed before we had another chance too.

• 1 year later...

Hello,

as an ex crew member (photographer) I lived on this beautiful liner 86-88, and I can confirm that she was loved by the crew. At the time she was the best ship afloat and people had a sense of pride in her.

I was transfered from the Dolpin to the Norway and it was like moving from the sticks to the big city!

The staff were close and I still hear from some of them, 25yrs later.

Hello,

as an ex crew member (photographer) I lived on this beautiful liner 86-88, and I can confirm that she was loved by the crew. At the time she was the best ship afloat and people had a sense of pride in her.

I was transfered from the Dolpin to the Norway and it was like moving from the sticks to the big city!

The staff were close and I still hear from some of them, 25yrs later.

That's cool! I was just looking at my pictures from the Norway (7/86), so maybe you took those photos!

800px-ShipNorway.JPG

Description: Ship Norway anchoring in Bremerhaven, Germany

Source: Photographed in february 2004

Photographer: Thorsten Pohl Thpohl

Great photo .... thanks for posting it. I too miss this great ship. Celebrated my birthday on her and it was the best one every.

OceanDreams

That is so funny. I had my album of pictures out--yes, a whole album because it was my first cruise--in February of 1986. Maybe you took my pictures too!!

LOL--we had an inside room on the lowest deck possible and had bunk beds!!! It was a great experience--but when people complain about how things are now--I remember it a little differently. There was no TV, only ship to shore phone, and long tedious dining with very little choice. Beautiful ship for sure--but I'll take cruising today for sure!!

Our First cruise was on the Norway. We were hooked.

Our room gave small a new meaning. Lowest level, inside, bunk beds. Of course since I was not yet married that made my mother very happy.....:rolleyes:

I remember it took the entire cruise to figure out the elevators since not all of them went to every level.

My first cruise was aboard the Norway in 1990. It was a family trip with my folks and my brother (he and I were teens at the time).

My father had wanted to pleasure cruise for years and my mother finally gave in on the one condition that he book us on the largest ship afloat. Funny how by today's mega-ship standards, the Norway would look almost quaint in size.

What I remember most was the formality of the dining experience, the beautiful enclosed promenade deck and enjoying the cruising experience on her pool deck. Wonderful memories of a unique ship!

We are all avid cruisers now thanks to that fantastic first cruise experience.

Awww, this thread brings back such great memories. I was on the Norway in 1984, on my first cruise, and it was during a college summer break. Our whole family went on her and my younger sisters and I were in the bunk rooms (inside of course) with our parents in a balcony. We used the spare bunk for our suitcases. I remember the midnight buffet, having a cocktail on board (drinking age was 18 or 19 then, can't remember), and my dad coming to get us out of the disco every single night. Wonderful cruise! We knew NOTHING about itineraries, shore excursions, or to be picky about anything. We just went to all the dance classes during the afternoons, laid on the deck until we were crisp, and dressed to the nines each night (as college girls are prone to do). What a delightful memory and what a beautiful old dame.

What was the stat everyone was so proud of? Was she as long as two football fields?Three?

Thanks for mentioning this!

Liz

We sailed on the Norway July 26th 1981. It was our honeymoon cruise. This July we will celebrate our 30 year wedding anniversary. The ship was pure class to a couple of young newlyweds. Rita Moreno was on the ship as an entertainer, the stage production of My Fair Lady was in the main theater.

The food was great, the people we dined with as well as people we met were also fun. The Norway was our first ship, and we have sailed a total of ten times in our lives. I still can remember this sailing like it was yesterday. I display 4 souvenier hurricane glasses in my Man cave from the Norway. They are real glass not the neon plastic type they have these days. Memories are great, but never stop looking forward to the good times yet to come. My wife and adult children are sailing the Epic in January 2012. This will be our 10th cruise. We will toast the Norway for starting it all.

Dan

Our very first cruise for our 25th anniversary was on the Norway it was 1995!! My Mom gave it to us for making it to 25yrs. (Just had 41 yrs) We had a balcony bk'd but landed up in an owners suite--(bad thing as now all we can do are suites;)) LOL Loved the Norway--nothing like her--just beautiful!!

So sad to think of her as being junked--but we have awesome memories and pictures!!!

Archived