My name changed... need ID help

runamuc

I got married and of course changed my last name. Now, what I am curious about.... I am using my drivers license and BC for my ID. When I changed my name with the state they just issue a card ( with the name change) to carry with my license. They do no issue a new drivers license until it expires. Will I have any problem using this as ID? My passport recently expired , and that also has the old last name, and I was not going to bother to renew it. Now second guessing if that was a bad choice.

Names on Travel Documentation

It is important that guest names on travel documents (passport, birth certificate, etc) and Government-Issued Photo I.D be identical to those on the cruise and airline tickets. In the event of a different name (name change), documentation supporting this change is required.

Current, valid driver's license with a photo

Government-Issued identification card with a photo (city/state/federal)

Legal Name Change court document

Marriage Certificate: original or copy

If a guest is on her honeymoon and a marriage certificate is not available, the name on the booking should read: maiden name followed by the married name; do NOT hyphenate the names.

The above from Canrnival might help......

I got married and of course changed my last name. Now, what I am curious about.... I am using my drivers license and BC for my ID. When I changed my name with the state they just issue a card ( with the name change) to carry with my license. They do no issue a new drivers license until it expires. Will I have any problem using this as ID? My passport recently expired , and that also has the old last name, and I was not going to bother to renew it. Now second guessing if that was a bad choice.

I would do the passport - or change the booking name to your maiden name.

If you take only DL + BC then you might need your marriage cert too.

Your ID, which I'm assuming is a state ID, is considered your "government issued identification," so that along with yout birth certificate and marriage license should be plenty of identification. Also, you'd be best to renew your passport with your married name now, it may save you a few bucks if it recently expired rather than getting a whole new one.

I am using my drivers license and BC for my ID. When I changed my name with the state they just issue a card ( with the name change) to carry with my license. They do no issue a new drivers license until it expires.

You can always go to MVA and just get a new license before it expires...new picture/ new name, etc. Of course you'll have a to pay a fee, but if you are flying into port and the flight is booked in your married name, you may have a problem showing your license with maiden name. You will need to have the name matched exactly from your photo ID to your airline ticket. Since you aren't leaving until May this leaves you plenty of time. If your flight and/or cruise were booked in your maiden name, I would probably just leave it alone.

TSA has gotten very strict regarding names matching identical to photo ID- for example if the name on your drivers license was Robert Jones but you booked your flight in the name of Bob Jones...you would have a problem...

What name did you book with?

I would also suggest that you check how your cruise documents read. If you booked the cruise before you were married and used your maiden name, then you need to have ID to match or change the name on the reservation. If you used your married name then what all others have replied is the right answer.

Just make sure you have proper ID to match your cruise documents

No married woman's name will match her BC...mine doesn't and I've never had a problem using my BC and DL for cruising....as long as the birth date is the same, it's not a problem! And no, I've never brought a marriage cert. along, either!

Since your cruise documents are booked with your married name, update the passport with your new last name. I had to update my passport after I got married. I sent it in January 12 and got it back on January 29--pretty quick.

They also return all your documents (marriage license) and your old passport (cancelled of course).

I wouldn't trust them to accept the card the state issued you showing your name change unless it has your photo on it.

Like the rest, I'd suggest you renew your passport. You have plenty of time and it makes everything so much easier!

JMHO,

I would go the the BMV and tell them you are traveling and need a new DL with new name. If they won't do it wait a few days go back tell them it was lost and get a new one. That is wierd they won't issue you a new one with a name change. Get a new passport also. You'll need one sooner or later.

I just got married and sailing at the end of this month. I booked under my single name. I was told by Carnival that my booked name has to match my id. I was told that if I want to travel under my married name that I would need to bring my marriage license with me or I could just travel under my single name since my passport is still in that name.

I am planning to take my passport (single name since did not have time to get a new one), drivers license (married name cause I had it changed day after I got married) and my marriage license. I was told by Carnival representative that if I did this I would have no problems.

Everyone keeps saying get a new passport with married name but when I checked it would cost me $112 for me to get name changed on it and my passport is still good for 5 years. Therefore, I hate having the name changed and paying all that money when I can just use my marriage license to show why the name does not match.

No married woman's name will match her BC...mine doesn't and I've never had a problem using my BC and DL for cruising....as long as the birth date is the same, it's not a problem! And no, I've never brought a marriage cert. along, either!

Mine does. I didn't change my name when I was married. It is not a legal requirement. I realize many women do for a variety of reasons but you don't have to.

I would go the the BMV and tell them you are traveling and need a new DL with new name. If they won't do it wait a few days go back tell them it was lost and get a new one. That is wierd they won't issue you a new one with a name change. Get a new passport also. You'll need one sooner or later.

Great idea...just report it as lost. That way I will get a new one with the name change. Our state does not issue a new license. It gives you a legal card to carry with your license. Everything is booked in my new name as I was married in 2008. I just never gave it any thought until the other day as to wether or not they would allow that card.

I agree with many of the others - just bring along your marriage certificate and everything will be fine. Here are my past experiences:

- I have had my passport in my maiden name, booked with my married, and brought my marriage license - no one asked to see it.

- After 9/11 when they actually started looking at these things - I had my passport revised. At that time it was free of charge - all they did was type on the last page that the passport was revised and my married name. Unfortunately, they did not train many agents on this, and I constantly had to point it out to them. One cruise - it was fine. The next cruise, the agent didn't pay attention to what I was saying, and simply changed my name back to maiden while we were checking in. Never thought anything about it - until I booked my most recent cruise, and tried to access my records - they still had my Past Guest number with my maiden name.

I was actually happy when my passport expired, and I could get a new one. Apparently they do not revise them anymore - you have to get a new one - not really fair that you have to pay for it though.

Archived