Dress Code Solution!

Cindy-Sue

What do you think of doing away with the semi-formal/informal dress nights? I'm all for keeping the casual nights up to "country club" standards, but those in-betweener nights drive us a little bit crazy. Also, no one is going to get upset by someone who dresses to the informal standard on a casual night, as they might if the situation was reversed. So, what do you think?

Bon Voyage!

Cindy Sue :)

Celebrity knows how to do Formal nights, with the Captains Party during it no casual loudmouth night. Informal is still keeping the dining room beautful instead of a McD's on water.

There are plenty of "Casual" lines out there to go enjoy if it is so awful to dress up & look "famous on the red carpet" nights. At home, even NYE is jeans night.

What do you think of doing away with the semi-formal/informal dress nights? I'm all for keeping the casual nights up to "country club" standards, but those in-betweener nights drive us a little bit crazy.

Sounds like "us" are wardrobe challenged, perhaps because of gender?

For guys, you wipe out any need for sportcoats and "non-dark" suits, and for some, that could represent most of the available stock to pack for a cruise. We're reduced (give or take) to "tux or Dockers" nights.

What drives you crazy? If you were going out to dinner at a nice restaurant that didn't require your really serious formal wear, what would you wear to that event? That's your "in-betweener", is it not? Have dined in San Diego, and think I would recognize the appropriate attire.

What do you think of doing away with the semi-formal/informal dress nights? I'm all for keeping the casual nights up to "country club" standards, but those in-betweener nights drive us a little bit crazy. Also, no one is going to get upset by someone who dresses to the informal standard on a casual night, as they might if the situation was reversed. So, what do you think?

Bon Voyage!

Cindy Sue :)

I'm with you.Country Club Casual is the way to go.I just completed my 17th Celebrity Cruise and can't stand dressing up.i wonder if those that oppose the dress "guidelines"dress formal when they go to dinner at home.

I'm with you.Country Club Casual is the way to go.I just completed my 17th Celebrity Cruise and can't stand dressing up.i wonder if those that oppose the dress "guidelines"dress formal when they go to dinner at home.

The OP didn't ask about Formal Night - her problem seems to be with the Informal Night attire. Then again, I've spent time in Staten Island, and wouldn't dress up to spend a night at the Victory Motor Inn.

If we plan to go to a really nice restaurant, a suit is appropriate for me, and my wife dresses accordingly. I don't show up in a pair of Dockers and a Polo shirt (i.e., "Casual Night" attire).

There are rare events, but once or twice a year, where truly formal attire is appropriate, and we seem to be able to handle that as well.

Depends where I'm going. If I were going to a lovely dining room and having a five course meal served to me, you bet I'd dress up.:)

See, even you guys from the desert Southwest clean up pretty good! Coupla three decent places to eat in Scottsdale, too! If it weren't 61 degrees up here today, I'd be jealous.

What IS the problem here? Each line caters to a specific demographic, and those who prefer a different cruising style can certainly find something that fits their particular needs. There's certainly enough diversity out there. Why ask everyone else to change?

I don't insist that the best sushi restaurant in town serve me a decent rack of lamb dinner just because I prefer it. If I want that, I dine elsewhere.

Ladies, vote with your feet!

quote:

"I just completed my 17th Celebrity Cruise and can't stand dressing up".

Please don't flame me for asking this question.....but if you know there are formal nights and hate dressing up why do you continue to choose Celebrity? I know there are cruiselines that do have "Country Club" Casual, they are more than I can afford but I know they are out there.

I am not trying to be sarcastic, honest.

I love getting dressed up...actually I enjoy getting dressed for the casual and informal nights too.

But that is just me.

The OP didn't ask about Formal Night - her problem seems to be with the Informal Night attire. Then again, I've spent time in Staten Island, and wouldn't dress up to spend a night at the Victory Motor Inn.

If we plan to go to a really nice restaurant, a suit is appropriate for me, and my wife dresses accordingly. I don't show up in a pair of Dockers and a Polo shirt (i.e., "Casual Night" attire).

There are rare events, but once or twice a year, where truly formal attire is appropriate, and we seem to be able to handle that as well.

I live on SI and go to rest.all over the city.casual is the way we go.Dress in a tux you are giving your daughter away or you are honoring some phony.

quote:

"I just completed my 17th Celebrity Cruise and can't stand dressing up".

Please don't flame me for asking this question.....but if you know there are formal nights and hate dressing up why do you continue to choose Celebrity? I know there are cruiselines that do have "Country Club" Casual, they are more than I can afford but I know they are out there.

I am not trying to be sarcastic, honest.

I love getting dressed up...actually I enjoy getting dressed for the casual and informal nights too.

But that is just me.

I go on Celebrity because I want to.Look at your cruise passenger contract the next time you cruise and no where does it say anything about dress codes.The dress codes that appear in the ship daily states "recommended."

I live on SI and go to rest.all over the city.casual is the way we go.Dress in a tux you are giving your daughter away or you are honoring some phony.

Dress in a tux on an "informal night" (that WAS the topic, I think) and I'd look a bit out of place at 2nd seating, too. Again, I don't believe formal nights were the original poster's problem.

Are you saying that apart from weddings, there are no events in "the city" where a tux is appropriate these days? My, things sure have changed since I lived in that part of the world.

I go on Celebrity because I want to.Look at your cruise passenger contract the next time you cruise and no where does it say anything about dress codes.The dress codes that appear in the ship daily states "recommended."

So long as you don't feel offended when you're turned away by staff at the entrance to the restaurant for "dressing down" on formal night, and sometimes get the odd look from your fellow passengers.

If you want to be a contrarian, you'll have to learn to take the heat that comes with it.

If cruisers 'dressed down too much, in the long run I believe it might backfire! The crew would loose respect for us and service might drop off. Recall that I asked Cruise Employee about dress in the theater, his reply was that the performers liked to see us well dressed. In life we all try to make an effort, why not on a cruise ship? john taylor

Cindy-Sue, I will give my opinion to your original posted question:

Yes, we (my husband and myself) would be in favor of doing away with the informal nights with the jacket and dress pants (tie optional) so that we would only have to bring one suit for formal nights. With all the airline restrictions (weight and number of bags), it is getting harder and harder to pack two suits (or a suit and a jacket and dress slacks) when flying to the port of call.

Everyone: The OP is NOT suggesting doing away with the formal nights, just the informal nights.

With all due respect to the others, I am in 100% agreement with "thmsmcdnld" - If someone wants to choose Celebrity for other reasons / factors, and chooses khakis and collared shirt on formal night (and if he/she is brave enough to chance the looks), then, that is his/her choice!

Sorry, but that is my true opinion.

I am not psyched to dress up (and yet I chose Celebrity - for other reasons). I may eat in the informal areas and hang out in the thalass. pool on the formal nights if I feel like staying casual.

I live on SI and go to rest.all over the city.casual is the way we go.Dress in a tux you are giving your daughter away or you are honoring some phony.[/QU

She's not talking about the formal nights. Did all the men wear tuxes when they were honoring you?;)

........nude crusing. no no no wait a minute!!!! before you bash me listen up. its real practicle. a lot less luggage is required. just bring toiletries and a barrel of sun tan lotion. formal night would be

men- wrist watch

women- necklace/earings

i see no downside in this people. denimin is not an issue. no place to smuggle liquor. cant pocket a cell phone. i am a genius.

........nude crusing. no no no wait a minute!!!! before you bash me listen up. its real practicle. a lot less luggage is required. just bring toiletries and a barrel of sun tan lotion. formal night would be

men- wrist watch

women- necklace/earings

i see no downside in this people. denimin is not an issue. no place to smuggle liquor. cant pocket a cell phone. i am a genius.

That you are Duck !!!!!!

Oh no....the minute I would walk on deck.....well, everyone would be running the other way......so It wouldn't matter what anyone was wearing........it would "CLEAR THE DECKS"...she is scaring everyone..........:eek: :confused: :rolleyes:

Archived