Dress Code Solution!

Cindy-Sue

So, Duck, then would we have to have formal accessories, informal accessories and casual accessories? I guess you could just match the jewelry to your own particular skin tone. And photography??? Full frontal or from the chest up? Gawd, the thought of it, I don't even like to see myself nekkid.

I would, personally, rather see the formal discontinued and all nights be informal with the exception of first and last nights. Of course, that is for me, DH would rather have country club casual and do away with the rest of it. I loooove to dress up nice, maybe we could have the dressed up wives on one side and the casual husbands on the other side of the dining room. But the glittery gowns and beaded jackets, nah, I can do without them. Give me a dressy pants outfit or cocktail dress any day.

A better idea might be to do away with casual nights in the DR. Just formal and informal nights, with those not wishing to conform given the option of a set table and time in the alternative casual restaurant.

On the M-class ships, the specialty restaurants could be always formal, the DR always informal and the casual venue, um, casual. Seperate venues to meet everyone's desired dress standard.

This is one of the few areas where women have it easier. I can wear the same basic dress to

a)formal - little black dress with glittery jewellery and fancy high heels. -

b) Informal - little black dress with plain silver necklace and flats

c) casual - little black dress with colourful batik wrap and sandles.

The men have it much harder - tux, dark suit, light suit, sports jacket, dockers, tie? no tie? I say men have it too easy in most areas so - let's keep making them jump through hoops and bring at least five different degrees of dressiness on each cruise! At least they don't have to pack hair gel and cosmetics:D

Yes, we men do have it tough. I'm bringing my tux anyway. I own it, I better use it! But I'll ditch the black tie in favour of something more colourful. It is the Caribbean, after all! "Informal" night don't sound too informal; but I'll draw the line at bringing a suit for those. A dressy lightweight linen or woll-blend sports jacket and linen slacks should do. This is my first cruise :cool: and I'm not sure how much closet space the staterooms offer. (We are in a verandah room (171 sq ft); I hear it's not too bad if you're efficient in how you hang up stuff, and use youir suitvase under the bed to stow stuff too.

A sports coat and linen slacks was my answer to the one informal night we had on the Century over the holidays. According to Celebrity's website, we should have had two informal nights and three formal nights on our 9-night cruise. We ended up with just one informal night and two formal nights--and six casual. If I had to do it over again, I might leave the sports coat at home. About half the men weren't wearing jackets on the informal night.

Most people who cruise don't obsess over what everyone else wears as much as the people on Cruise Critic do.

Amen to that!

Ditto, Happy ks.

Reading this Celebrity board, you'd think people were describing a royal function at Buckingham Palace instead of the evening meal on a mass-market cruise ship. It's time newcomers to this board got an accurate picture of Celebrity, so they are no longer intimidated by all the nonsense about "passengers who know how to dress for the occasion" and the supposed "sophisticated" and "refined" atmosphere--and, worst of all, how out-of-place they'll feel if they aren't dressed "to-the-nines." Poppycock.

Cindy Sue.....

As 'Older Cruisers' move on (lol) and Younger cruisers 'infiltrate' Celebrity, Dress codes will loosen (they are only reccomendations, anyway), the Internet will be more readily abound, and cell phones will be more in use.

Celebrity will continue to evolve, just like they will continue to build newer ships. It's a fact of life.

Though, there will always be 'older' cruisers who will yearn for the sea faring traditions of Celebrity past, as time goes on, even more will change. Good or bad.

but you can take umbridge with the fact that those traditionalists can cling to american politics, about the only thing in this world looking back instead of ahead.

Yes, I think Formal and Informal will eventually go the way of the dodo bird, but will be kept in the alternative speciality restaurants. But I agree, while Formal on sea days is a nice touch, for those who enjoy dressing up on a vacation, the informal will be relaxed. I hear Millenuim just cut it back to one day on it's Carribean Tours as of Jan 1...

JC

Toronto

Now it's American politics. Unbelievable! You should only be so lucky to be an American, especially one who got to grow up in the 50s. There are lots of wonderful new things happening in the world, but not everything "new" is great. One of the few advantages of growing older is that most people develop a sense of perspective. Maybe you will too someday.;)

i am confussed. i dont mean to bash anyone i just need an explaination. i am 39 and have been cruising since i was 26 (first ship was horizion). so i dont think i am "old".

why is it that "younger" cruises need to infiltrate and celeb must evolve. i picked celeb because for 1 week a year i enjoy the atmosphere and the elegance. i like putting on a tux, the wife likes wearing a gown and we like the feel of others around us doing the same. if that makes us and others like us faux aristocrates that so be it we are. if this is all pretend and make up let........fine i can live with that. and dont tell me to cruise crystal because i have and do not care for it much.

there are cruise lines out there that give the same itineraries, same quality service and the same quality of food and drink but in a much more relaxed and casual atmosphere. home come the infiltrators feel a need to cruise celeb and try to change it by ignoring what others value about it.

i am not saying anyone is better or worse than me for having a particular taste in cruising we all like what we like. i am just curious as why these people continue to bad mouth us (present company on this thread excluded but the trash talkers are out there) and our way of cruisng instead of finding a cruiseline that completely suits their needs? i found a cruiseline that suits me 100%. do the same and we will all be happier for it. happy cruising to all

........nude crusing. no no no wait a minute!!!! before you bash me listen up. its real practicle. a lot less luggage is required. just bring toiletries and a barrel of sun tan lotion. formal night would be

men- wrist watch

women- necklace/earings

i see no downside in this people. denimin is not an issue. no place to smuggle liquor. cant pocket a cell phone. i am a genius.

DUCK33 - I see (fantasize?) about 'unintended consequences" of the 'naked cruising' proposal. However, I do want to give you credit for 'thinking outside the box (clothes?)

If naked, all the X-diehards would have to have their "DIE Nit-Pickers DIE!!!" tatoos removed. With everyone wearing the same 'outfit', finding your picture in the Photo lounge would be more difficult (especially time lost to 'dawdling' over the lookers).

To be balanced - a plus for, in one swell foop, eliminating the horror of 'visible panty line'. And no more dirty inuendos like "Is that an X breadstick in your pocket? or are you just glad to see me?" No more 'color faded suits' from the T-pools. Waiters would have to cautioned however, about the inexplicable urge for 'napkin snapping' at bare tushes (Hey - it's a guy thing!). The phrase 'belly up to the bar' would shift from figurative to literal meaning.

I will dispense with any Staten Island jokes, but I agree with whoever said that informal nights were dispensed with by those on board. It may only be during holiday or school vacation time, but I a notice very few people wearing jackets in the dining room on so called Informal Nights. The Olympic requires jackets on the Millie, but otherwise on informal nights my husband will wear a long sleeve button down shirt, and usually wears those on the casual nights as will. Alot of men go with the dockers and golf shirts, which is what my boys do, but what I really don't like are the ones wearing t-shirts on any night. Now, as far as restaurant dining goes, there are certain restaurants in Manhattan that require jackets, and Alain Ducasse requires jacket and tie, but they are very limited in number. You can find them listed in Zagat's, but there are only about 20 of them. Most of the restaurants, whether well known, pricey, whatever, do not require jackets.

I just wanted to say that I think it's a shame that dress codes are going downhill. My fiance and I were looking forward to getting dressed up for dinner. C'mon, how hard is it to dress up for dinner? It's part of the ambiance and enriches the dining experience for everyone.

Before anyone asks, I'm 22 and my fiance is 23. He bought his own tuxedo for our wedding and plans to bring it with him on our cruise. He also bought a sports jacket and suitable shirts and ties to wear with it. He didn't own any of this before but purchased it because he was looking forward to spending just 10 days in a totally different experience than we would have at home. Same with me- I bought a formal dress and a black skirt I can pair with different shirts for formal night. I do own many suitable things for informal.

Sure, when we're at home, going out to dinner generally means jeans and a nice sweater. But even then, if we go somewhere really nice, I'll wear a skirt and dressy top and he'll wear dress pants and dress shirt, if not a suit.

Part of the whole experience of a cruise is to take you away from your regular life, to a place where everyone is treated like a king or queen, and to dress the part. Where else can you do that? I think I will sorely regret it if the dress code falls by the wayside, and I am sure I'm not the only one.

Don't blame it on all us youngsters!

I would like to see Celebrity go back to the dress codes from its early days - just one or two casual nights per 7 day cruise. Even the first night was informal or semi-formal as they called it back then. A seven night cruise had 2 formal, 1 or 2 informal (now called casual), and the rest of the nights were semi-formal (now called informal). But that is my opinion and that is what the OP asked.

Newt missed this one but you were right there to throw us all off on a laugh!

........nude crusing. no no no wait a minute!!!! before you bash me listen up. its real practicle. a lot less luggage is required. just bring toiletries and a barrel of sun tan lotion. formal night would be

men- wrist watch

women- necklace/earings

i see no downside in this people. denimin is not an issue. no place to smuggle liquor. cant pocket a cell phone. i am a genius.

I have been following this post (as well as a few others on other message boards). I really dont understand why people get so upset over the dress code thing and let it ruin their cruise. My DH and I are in our mid 20's he does not like to dress up I do. We have been to many many 5 star restraunts and we have stayed at many many 5 star hotels, and yes DH has gone dressed in just a polo and a nice pair of pants and NEVER gotten a second glance from anyone. He does agree to dress up when it is called for (ie formal night he will be in a tux because i asked him to) but I will not ruin both of our vacations by having him not comfortable in clothes hes not use to. (He works in the tech industry and his dress to work everyday is shorts and a t shirt even the CEO and CFO come in dressed casual--and everyone out there has heard of the company it so it is a highly respectd company) It is a big deal to him to dress in a sports coat. Will I give it a second look if he comes in dressed in a *gasp* polo and chinos on informal night?? No--Will I give it a second thought if our table mates come in with out a sports coat? No I will be more excited to see the new friends I have made and to hear all about their day. It is not the end of the world if someone choses to not wear a sports coat and/or a tie on an informal night. My advice?? Sit back, relax, grab a drink, enjoy the food and conversation, and enjoy the beautiful scenery of the ocean. Im sorry if this has stepped on some toes but i had to vent (and DH is tired of me stressing over it :) )

~Carolyn

See, even you guys from the desert Southwest clean up pretty good! Coupla three decent places to eat in Scottsdale, too! If it weren't 61 degrees up here today, I'd be jealous.

What IS the problem here? Each line caters to a specific demographic, and those who prefer a different cruising style can certainly find something that fits their particular needs. There's certainly enough diversity out there. Why ask everyone else to change?

I don't insist that the best sushi restaurant in town serve me a decent rack of lamb dinner just because I prefer it. If I want that, I dine elsewhere.

Ladies, vote with your feet!

Well, (voting with my feet) I LOVE shoes, So, I'm going to vote

1. Keep formal nights for pretty clothes with pretty shoes and lots of bling

2. Do away with casual.

3. All nights other than formal will be smart-casual. Men-shirt/tie/jacket optional. No dockers/no jeans/dress pants.

Us girls/dress slacks with dressy tops or dresses or skirts/dressey tops/dressy heels/ lots of bling

4. Casual would be the dress for breakfast and lunch.

5. Tea would be smart casual. No shorts and no swimsuits with covers.

I would like to see 'us' women go back to looking like women. Men look great in a tux and even better in their dark suits:)

Carolyn,

You give this relaxed response and then at the end you tell us your husband is tired of you stressing over this. None of this is important in the grand scheme of things...we're all lucky to be able to cruise. The truth is the cruiselines each have their own style. Why not just choose one that fits your style instead of trying to change the others. I like Celebrity's style, that's why the majority of our cruises are with them. If I go on another style cruise, I fit in and do what's expected there, I don't try to get everyone else to change. What a dull world this would be if everything was the same.:) The problem with that is that everything gets changed to the lowest common denominator. Travel the world now and see McDonalds everywhere.

I love your post. Your last paragraph (take you away to) reminded me of the Calgon bath commercial-Calgon take me away....(always loved that commercial):)

You go ahead and plan on dressing UP and bring that tux for hubby.

I was surprised in December when our documents came for Panama Canal/Grand Princess/10 nights/stated 2 Formal Nights/ 8 Smart-Casual Nights. Was even more surprised to see that most people dressed what I would call 'classy' ALL 10 nights. Added a lot of ambiance to the ship.Of course it was Christmas, Santa was onboard, and we were all trying to impress HIM!:D

Archived