Chef's table foot attire

CruzinNoony

We've been 3 times and only the Star insisted on closed toe--said you could wear tennis shoes or whatever while in the kitchen--I bought a pair in Aruba for the event--I don't wear tennis shoes either--No problem on the Crown about shoes and can't remember the first one we went to.

Nancy:D

Just got off the Crown yesterday...our tablemates went to the Chef's table...at the pre-dinner selection interview they were told closed toe shoes were required...I would recommend that you at least have some with you- we heard that it was a great meal Enjoy!!!

We have done the Chef's Table twice - once on Golden in Alaska and once on Star Trans-Pacific. Same chef both times, but different Maitre'ds. The form on Golden said closed shoes were required, but the MD said we could wear sandals. On the Star, we were told shoes had to be closed.

So, I guess you need to be prepared with closed shoes.

Fran

Just got off the Crown yesterday...our tablemates went to the Chef's table...at the pre-dinner selection interview they were told closed toe shoes were required...I would recommend that you at least have some with you- we heard that it was a great meal Enjoy!!!

2 weeks ago they didn't care about the closed toes shoes--in fact the guy who talked to us said no one expected to need closed toe shoes so it wasn't necessary. someone else must have had the duty when you went--who knows ?????

Nancy:D

The first time we did the Chef's Table (Ruby Princess) we got the usual printed instructions which said no open toes shoes. My wife (who had not brought any closed toe shoes) bought a cheap pair of Espidrils in Cadiz and when we went for the chefs table she was the only lady with closed toes. The 2nd time we were on the Emerald Princess, but this time she did have some closed toe shoes. Again, she was the only lady not wearing open toes despite the written instructions that open toe was not allowed. The closed toe requirement seems to be a standard company-wide policy but enforcement seems to be miss miss miss.

Hank

It think the problem is,, since Chefs table cannot be booked in advance, not everyone will think to bring closed toe shoes. Many ladies only bring one pair of "dressy" shoes,, maybe two,, and most will be open toed. So ,, perhaps if Chefs table was bookable in advance.. by some sort of lottery it need be,, then ladies could come prepared,, or be refused. As the system is now,, they would have to question you BEFORE they accept you for the dinner.

One solution could be,, those without closed toe shoes do not do the kitchen tour,, but instead will wait for dinner in a lounge,, it would be a shame, but a consequence I guess.

Personally I understand why the rule is a health regulation for any kitchen worker ,, but honestly,, a person just walking through,, and not preparing food,,how bad can it be.. its not like you are staffing the kitchen.

An alternative that Princess could offer is shoe covers, like the ones hospitals use in the OR.

For safety they could disallow very high heeled for ladies, but at least open toe shoes would not be a concern.

It is standard OH and S reqirement to wear closed toe shoes in the kitchen , somewhat like hard hats on a construction site. We were told that closed toed shoes were required but on the night I saw that some of the ladies didn't have the appropriate footwear on . Nothing was said.

How strict are the different ships on the closed toe shoes when attending the Chef's table dinner?:cool:

There may be a health reason for the open toe shoe restriction but I’ve been told that it has to do with safety. There is some uneven decks with grating to walk across in the kitchen tour portion. One woman that took the tour fell and broke her ankle. She was taken off of the ship and returned a few days later with a full ankle cast. I saw her reading on a deck chair much of the time after that. This was on a world cruise.

Cheers, VegasPier

Dear Meredith and Bob, it is Angelo and Junjun here, from the Jan 3 Golden to Hawaii. Hey can you give me your email address so I can write you a note? Finally getting around to catching up with our favorites. Hope you are doing well. We will go to China in June to be with Junjun's mom for a few weeks. Hope to book our next cruise for the holidays. Not sure where yet. Angelo

Archived