Bitter End Yacht Club

MICHE99

I hope you get some other input, but I'll share what little I know. I stopped at Bitter End for a short period from ACCL's Grande Mariner. We only made about a 2-hour visit there which was fine for sightseeing and shopping, but I don't remember much in the ways of beaches or activities. I believe at this stop you have a choice of Virgin Gorda or Bitter End, and think you'd find more to do at Virgin Gorda.

I have both stopped at the Bitter End on a windstar crusie and stayed there for a land vacation. It's a very sailing oriented resort without much in the way of a beach. However, it is located in the back of the sound, in a really beautiful spot.

As I recall the Windstar stop -- it was simply a stop there late in the day, with an on-deck barbeque. You can then tender over to the Bitter End for drinks and a walk around -- there's usually a pretty fun "salty sea dog" night life going on.

The Wind Spirit anchors in the bay at Bitter End Yacht Club. You arrive early evening and can take the tender to the resort and walk around and enjoy either of their restaurants one is a sports pub with pool tables, large screne TVs and nice outdoor seating. The other is a step or two nicer and has covered outdoor seating. On board there is a BBQ at the pool which included lobster and everyone raived about (we opted for a wrap and beer at the sports pub at BEYC).

The following day (8am - 5pm?) the tender does a triangle every 15 minutes from the ship to bitter end to Prickly Pear Beach then back to the ship. All are just a few yards via water from each other. PPB is a private beach that Wind Star rents out for the day with lots of beach loungers, tables and chairs with shade and a large shaded cabana. The ship brings over all of the water sports equipment and lunch which included burgers, hot dogs, chicken, beef, lots of salads and other stuff I don't rememeber. Of course they have a bar set up as well.

We were unable to because of weather, but if you want to do the Baths you must take the ships tour as it is difficult to get to from the BEYC. The tour drops you off at the beach so you can enjoy lunch on your own "private island". It was a great relaxing day at the beach.

Panam22 has given the same explanation of the BEYC/PricklyPear Island situation that I gave in answer to one of your previous questions. (I believe we were on the same cruise in Jan.) BEYC is not a "yacht club" in the traditional sense but rather a large resort which caters to those interested in a sailing vacation. There is no need to use their beach as you have access to the beach on Prickly Pear which Windstar rents for the day. There is a wide beach, lounge chairs, tables with umbrellas and, of course, the beach barbecue.

To get to the Baths from BEYC involves a taxi to the ferry, ferry to the other side of Virgin Gorda and then another taxi to the Baths. If you search this forum, you'll find a review of someone who did it using a rental car. It can be done but it's not easy. My advice is to go to BEYC for a look around and a little shopping (beautiful but expensive boutiques) and enjoy the rest of the day on Prickly Pear.

We've been to BEYC before and I don't think their food is so special that I'd miss the on-deck barbecue for it.

Thanks, riverroad.

I think there is another stop that we could do the Baths trip if so inclined but I like your advice. Especially since my mom is 83 and I just had hip surgery. We need to relax this trip.

Thanks, riverroad.

I think there is another stop that we could do the Baths trip if so inclined but I like your advice. Especially since my mom is 83 and I just had hip surgery. We need to relax this trip.

Are you going to be able to handle all the stairs, and getting into and out of the tenders? It's especially tricky getting down the stairs to the tenders when the seas are a little rough.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

The excursion to the Baths is only available from the anchorage at Virgin Gorda. The ship's excursion is the easiest and most practical way to go to the Baths. Unfortunately, on our trip in January this excursion was cancelled due to high seas.

I had already mentioned the ladder to the tenders and the sometimes tricky entry to the tenders on one of my previous responses to MICHE99. I hope she also realizes that the Wind Spirit doesn't have elevators.

Archived