Celebrity and Azamara compared

uktog

Having just returned from Equinox I thought as well as the quick reflections I have posted elsewhere, it might be helpful to put this comparison on the Celebrity and Azamara boards. The per night cost of our cruises were the same, the Azamara trips were on Quest in January and August 2009 so all are relatively recent comparisons.

I will be using the same headings as are suggested for reviews to help. I will not be coming to an overall view as to who is better than whom because for everyone, some of the headings will be more important than others.

Embarkation (no score)

We had a delayed embarkation on Equinox because of the noro situation and therefore it would not be fare to compare the two events. Whilst the numbers are clearly higher on Equinox, the number of agents handling is also larger.

Stateroom (E)

Here our comparison is between an Azamara Sky Suite and an Equinox Celebrity suite. Equinox wins hands down with great fittings, superb bathroom, reasonable balcony – like having the glass panels back so I can lie and watch the waves go by on the balcony.

Stateroom service (E)

This was a close one; we had a true butler in Arles on Equinox but our stateroom attendants have been much better on Azamara – on balance will give it to Equinox

Dining (Main) (A)

Food on Azamara is in a different league in the Main dining room and the wait staff interact much more with the guests than was our experience on Equinox

Dining (Café) (A)

Equinox has a much wider variety of products available all the time; but the quality in Azamara is higher and lines are shorter.

Dining (Speciality) (E)

Soon Azamara will be charging approximately the same as Equinox in the Aqualina and Prime C; so we are comparing them with Murano and Tuscan Grill on Equinox– it is a very close call but I think Equinox just edges it on the basis that there is tableside service and the cheese cart in Murano

Activities (E)

There is a lot of overlap of daily activities (quizzes; wii; enrichment talks) however the big plus on Equinox was the lawn club and the great daily activities organised up there under the heading the Ryder Cup

Fitness/Spa (A)

For us, the smaller gym and more personal spa is more enjoyable although we do recognise that the range of equipment is greater on Equinox so if you are looking for a specific piece of kit, Equinox is more likely to have it

Pool area (E)

It was far easier to get a lounger in the sun on one of the open decks in Equinox than on Azamara though the Azamara loungers are more comfortable.

Entertainment (E)

We are being really generous to Equinox here because the speciality acts we saw were, with one exception, the poorest we have seen on a cruise. That said the production shows were spectacular and there are so many opportunities to hear music in the atrium area etc. So based on potential Equinox gets it.

Excursions (A)

Azamara excursions are smaller, more personal and the shore excursion staff have real knowledge of the ports of call. Advice on good shopping is impartial, this is not possible on Equinox because they are tied to a port guide company and the sheer numbers going on excursions makes it a different proposition.

Service (A)

This is where in our mind Azamara really scored with highly personal service and regular interaction with all the ships officers. We did not see many officers around on Equinox and by the very scale of things, the service is less personal. There was much less attention to detail on Equinox and the crew seemed more stressed and rushed (interestingly our Azamara experience also included a Code Red noro cruise so we can discount the impact that had on proceedings).

So as you can see there are strengths on both types of sailing experience

Thanks for the comparison. Very Interesting, we were on the quest in July and will be on the Soltice in December and are trying to decide between Hal Neiw Amsterdam, Equinox and Quest for Greece 2011.

Dining (Speciality) (E)

Soon Azamara will be charging approximately the same as Equinox in the Aqualina and Prime C; so we are comparing them with Murano and Tuscan Grill on Equinox– it is a very close call but I think Equinox just edges it on the basis that there is tableside service and the cheese cart in Murano

X have just put their charges up by $5 so I believe Murano is now $35.

ACC (after April 1) if you are in a suite the speciality restaurants are free, where as every one else pays $15

Nice comparison!

Thanks uktog!

I appreciate a fair review and comparison... We sailed the Quest twice in 2009, and have two booked on the Journey for 2010. We debated trying the Solstice Class ship, but the sheer amount of people on board are 'scaring' us a bit!!

I really like the promixity of the staff, officers... it makes for a very personal experience, which is also something you noted as a 'plus' for Azamara!

Again, thank you!

MC

Having just returned from Equinox I thought as well as the quick reflections I have posted elsewhere, it might be helpful to put this comparison on the Celebrity and Azamara boards. The per night cost of our cruises were the same, the Azamara trips were on Quest in January and August 2009 so all are relatively recent comparisons.

Thanks for this. This type of comparison is always very useful.

Stateroom (E)

Here our comparison is between an Azamara Sky Suite and an Equinox Celebrity suite. Equinox wins hands down with great fittings, superb bathroom, reasonable balcony – like having the glass panels back so I can lie and watch the waves go by on the balcony.

The comparison between an Azamara Sky Suite and an Equinox Celebrity Suite is interesting. The reason we have avoid the S-class ships is because we do not think that their Celebrity Suite compare to the M-class CS. You did not mention space. Was the Equinox CS as cramped as it appears?

Service (A)

This is where in our mind Azamara really scored with highly personal service and regular interaction with all the ships officers. We did not see many officers around on Equinox and by the very scale of things, the service is less personal. There was much less attention to detail on Equinox and the crew seemed more stressed and rushed (interestingly our Azamara experience also included a Code Red noro cruise so we can discount the impact that had on proceedings).

I would be interested is hearing others' reaction to this. Until our last cruise, we would have agreed wholeheartedly but the Service on Infinity in November was almost to the standard we experienced on Azamara Quest. Considering the additional size and passenger numbers, the presence of senior officers and attention to detail on Infinity was incredible.

Thanks again.

Sue

The Celebrity suite is really spacious - not as spacious as the Celebrity suite on the M class, but this is offset by having the balcony space. Good large L shaped sofa and another highbacked chair.

If you want an indoor dining table you are limited but this was not something we needed as there was a nice table outside. The walk in closet is very good and there is also a double wardrobe in the entrance hall so we had his and hers hanging space which always makes for a much less stressful cruise :)

There is no walk in shower, just a very nice rainshower head over the bath - again plenty bathroom storage

Hope this helps

The Celebrity suite is really spacious - not as spacious as the Celebrity suite on the M class, but this is offset by having the balcony space. Good large L shaped sofa and another highbacked chair.

If you want an indoor dining table you are limited but this was not something we needed as there was a nice table outside. The walk in closet is very good and there is also a double wardrobe in the entrance hall so we had his and hers hanging space which always makes for a much less stressful cruise :)

There is no walk in shower, just a very nice rainshower head over the bath - again plenty bathroom storage

Hope this helps

Thanks.

Sue

Archived