NCL-7 day Greek Isles v Adriatic, Greece, Turkey

dalgirl

NCL just released their Greece 2011 schedule and as we have a cruise credit, we will be cruising with them out of Venice in May 2011. We have two itineraries to choose from - pros and cons please:

Venice, Split, Corfu, Santorini, Mykonos, Iraklion (sea day) Venice OR

Venice, Dubrovnik, (sea day) Athens, Ephesus, Nafplion (sea day) Venice

This will be our first cruise in the region and we love history. What do you think?

I realized I had chosen the wrong dates! Here is the correct line up:

Venice, (At Sea), Corfu, Santorini, Mykonos, Katakolon, (At Sea), Venice

OR

Venice, Dubrovnik, (At Sea), Athens, Ephesus (Izmir), (At Sea), Venice

Any insites are appreciated.

Thanks, after looking thru the other posts and seeing some of the photos posted, the second cruise does look the most interesting. We love history, ruins, museums and stunning scenery and this cruise appears to have it all. And our first trip to Venice! Now I just have to figure out how many days we will need before the cruise - everyone should have these problems:p

Thanks, after looking thru the other posts and seeing some of the photos posted, the second cruise does look the most interesting. We love history, ruins, museums and stunning scenery and this cruise appears to have it all. And our first trip to Venice! Now I just have to figure out how many days we will need before the cruise - everyone should have these problems

Given your stated love of history, then I agree 100% with fellow Ohioan Pam and the others that the Venice, Dubrovnik, (At Sea), Athens, Ephesus (Izmir), (At Sea), Venice line-up would probably be best. Going to Ephesus from Izmir is not ideal, but you can get there and see what you need to enjoy. Not sure what pictures you have seen, but here are some from Ephesus and Athens. Venice is super and one of my favorite cities. No cars, trucks and motor scooters there to ruin the historic environment.

Any cruise options that be a little longer and include maybe finishing your trip in Istanbul and flying out of there?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

At Ephesus, here is the famed outdoor theater that hosted Saint Paul preaching, plus rock stars, etc. At this site in the 1st century AD, the Apostle Paul spent over three years in Ephesus preaching the Gospel. This included a sermon condemning pagan worship in this theater:

Amphitheatre.jpg

Starting the tour at Ephesus:

EphTourStart.jpg

At night for a concert, the Ephesus library is dramatically done in its lighting and visual impact:

EphNightLibr.jpg

Outdoor dining in the Plaka. Lots of music and fun, plus good food:

PlakaDining.jpg

National Arch. Museum treasures from Greece’s great history:

NatMusTreasures.jpg

Examing relics with our guide near the Parthenon:

AropWithGuide.jpg

I actually saw some of your photos Terry - and you made up my mind:) I booked last night for the Athens, Ephesus cruise. My DH also agreed that it looked the most interesting. Wish we could do a longer cruise, but unfortunately, I am pushing to be out of the office for the 7 day cruise. We now have 3 pending cruises - everyone thinks we are crazy, but we really love the variety we get from cruising - two a year seems just about right:D Now where will I go in the fall of 2011????

I actually saw some of your photos Terry - and you made up my mind:) I booked last night for the Athens, Ephesus cruise. My DH also agreed that it looked the most interesting. Wish we could do a longer cruise, but unfortunately, I am pushing to be out of the office for the 7 day cruise. We now have 3 pending cruises - everyone thinks we are crazy, but we really love the variety we get from cruising - two a year seems just about right:D Now where will I go in the fall of 2011????

Great choice; enjoy your trip! Extra time in Venice always is wonderful. If you run out of things to see there, a day trip to Padua or Verona is very easy by train.

BTW, after working our way across the Med (Istanbul to Athens in 2008, Athens to Rome in 2009, and Venice to Barcelona in 2010), my husband says a Baltic cruise will be our next cruise, with several days in St. Petersburg.:)

Glad that the pictures and other comments helped you get it booked.

As a suggestion for the future, a longer cruise and/or travel to Europe becomes more time efficient given the long distance for flying to get there, making your body clock adjust, etc., compared to two separate, one-week cruises. Most cruise ships have decent Internet connections. Take along your laptop and you can more easily stay in touch while gone for a longer period. Checking e-mail works well and there are lots of pretty cheap phone access plans allowing easy shore calling back to your base, if needed. Let us know any added questions now that you are "full speed ahead".

BTW, after working our way across the Med (Istanbul to Athens in 2008, Athens to Rome in 2009, and Venice to Barcelona in 2010), my husband says a Baltic cruise will be our next cruise, with several days in St. Petersburg.:)

Hi, Pam! Glad you will be ready, NEXT, to focus on the Baltics. We loved our visit there in the summer of 2008, including three days in Russia. Things are really spectacular there in St. Petersburg, Copenhagen, etc. Look forward to sharing more with our Cincinnati neighbor.

We were also undecided between these two itineraries for 2010 and decided to go with the Athens-Ephesus, etc one for all the history. Keep an eye on your role call --- it's early yet, but many role calls organize small , private group tours to some of the main attractions in Athens and Ephesus. We have done this for our cruise this May, and all reports are that we will get better access and information for less money than the cruise line tours. Most of the private ones limit their numbers to keep them smaller and more personal, so you'll want to keep your eyes open for this opportunity if you are interested.

Archived