How do I get a Lounge Chair by the pool?

Beaches n cream

I heard it's impossible to get a chair by the pool because people put stuff on the chair than leave for the day and it sits unused. It was rediculious on NCL and was wondering if it's the same on X. If you have any suggestions I would love to know.

Celebrity has pool butlers that monitor these things. If it is only towels they will remove them. If a chair has been sitting with stuff but no people for along time you can ask them to remove the stuff and sometimes they do this on their own. We have never had a hard time finding a chair. We had one pool waiter who would move chairs for us to prime locations.

happy sailing

Claudette

Sometimes, you might have to settle for a chair on the upper level if all the pool chairs have just stuff (or cruisers) on them.

If many are not used but obviously being "held" , keep an eye below for chairs that aren't seeing anyone's butt ;) Then go to the pool attendant and tell him the chairs are still empty after 30 min. and he will remove all belongings. If someone returns to what's now your chair, direct them to the attendant for their stuff. The rule is 30 min. Gives a person enough time to run in for a bathroom break or grab a snack. The chairs should not be held for an hour lunch and beers and conversation indoors.

Too, you can always have the attendant move a chair up or down as needed.

It seems to be an issue no matter which cruise line you are on. There are always inconsiderate people who wake early, put a book or belonging on a chair or chairs and then not show up for hours. The above posters are correct. Celebrity is trying very hard to be proactive and the pool butlers will remove belongings if the chair remains empty for over 30 minutes. It is interesting to watch as small fights break out over this issue. I have even seen large fights where security has to be called. If I cannot find a lounge near the pool but there is room for one or two, the butler will be happy to move them for you. If not, there are usually open lounges on the level above....

I heard it's impossible to get a chair by the pool because people put stuff on the chair than leave for the day and it sits unused. It was rediculious on NCL and was wondering if it's the same on X. If you have any suggestions I would love to know.

Wake up between 8:00 a.m. and 8:30 a.m.:D

On Equinox i had to complain more than once. they did nothing.. I did sit on the deck and was going to wait 30 minutes. one of their friends first was upset that i did that and then removed their thing.. no one ever came.. one the other side was playing cards etc.. i was there about 45 minutes when they showed up. i spoke to them.

i sent emails to celebrity and did hear back.

outside upper deck was just as bad. i made sure everyone looking for seats knew there was four empty chairs but for books etc. i should of tossed them into the wind but did not. I had a chair!!

next cruise I will!!

Wake up between 8:00 a.m. and 8:30 a.m.:D

On a November Connie cruise we noted just about every lounge on the pool deck - sun, shade and in between - was spoken for well before 8am. Most, however, were not actually occupied in the truest sense of the word - unless you consider halved paperbacks, flip-flops and bananas/apples occupants!

Just follow me around as I walk amongst the pool chairs tossing books and towels to the wind. Some people read to relax, me, I love aggravating the chair hogs. Ahhhh...I can already feel the relaxation coming on!

LOL:D We must be related!!!

I see nothing wrong with getting up early & getting a sun lounger....provided you use it. Anyone removing another guest's belongings is asking for trouble, which could result in both parties & their travelling companions being kicked off.

This has been an issue for my wife on past cruises, so I'm pretty sensitive to it. I've got no problem with someone reserving lounges as long as they are not unoccupied for longer than 30 minutes (per the ship's rule).

I wouldn't personally remove someone's belongings, but I've got no problem going to one of the staff and letting them know if a particular chair or set of chairs has been unoccupied for longer than this and asking them to have the belongings removed.

I see nothing wrong with getting up early & getting a sun lounger....provided you use it. Anyone removing another guest's belongings is asking for trouble, which could result in both parties & their travelling companions being kicked off.

However, if your body is not in the chair for 30 minutes, it is no longer "yours". A cruise ship is not a theatre or sports venue with paid-for reserved seating. If I was up at 8 to get a lounge chair, my butt would be in the chair at 8. Leaving only for a quick cup of coffee. Trying to hold a chair at 8 and leaving it empty until 10. Ridiculous rudeness. And they should be called on it.

I have no problems asking the pool attendant to remove the items and store them safely somewhere else. It's THEIR job. And you can insist they follow X policy.

Unless punches are thrown, I doubt any chair hog arguments would get someone thrown off the ship.:rolleyes:

This has been an issue for my wife on past cruises, so I'm pretty sensitive to it. I've got no problem with someone reserving lounges as long as they are not unoccupied for longer than 30 minutes (per the ship's rule).

I wouldn't personally remove someone's belongings, but I've got no problem going to one of the staff and letting them know if a particular chair or set of chairs has been unoccupied for longer than this and asking them to have the belongings removed.

Quite agree, & many a long running thread on forums too!

Actually it's been our experience that most chairhogs are non-combative - darn rude and inconsiderate but not necessarily combative. They usually do a few passes past their "territory" trying to look casual, eyes darting from lounge to lounge in search of their (usually worthless) belongings and then give up, too embarrassed to approach someone who has already occupied the previously hogged lounge for what they know all too well has been hours. For those who are nervy enough to engage, a simple "I have no clue where your empty suntan lotion bottle/empty packet of Kleenex/half-eaten muffin/copy of yesterday's daily or whatever is...the lounge was empty when I got here an hour ago."

Unless punches are thrown, I doubt any chair hog arguments would get someone thrown off the ship.:rolleyes:

I would say this would be most likely if passengers start taking the "law" into their own hands. I also think that people are very brave knowing nobody dare respond to them being totally offensive whether they are "hog" or "chair liberator"

at 2 to 3 hours of a chair with junk on it and no human in sight-pool butler doing nothing- I would remove it if people needed a chair but some peopel are afraid to remove books etc.

when i have to write celebrity because their help not doing their jobs it becoems a prolbem for me.

We were on Equinox last August and it was an absolute nightmare to get a sun lounger by the pool. The Pool Butlers clearly had a good trade and were doing very well out of 'finding' sunloungers for people and then putting them out wherever that person wanted, whenever they wanted them. One day, a 'gentleman' arrived by a very busy pool approx late morning, 8 sunloungers were immediately found by a butler and were placed right across the foot of our loungers, leaving us no room whatsoever to get out. He was then the only person on these 8 loungers for well over an hour and when his companions did turn up, he was so very loud about how well he did and to 'stick with him' if they wanted 'proper service' :mad::mad:

The lack of personal space has actually made us re-think cruising for a while

Could someone define "chair hog"?

Chair Hog: -noun

1. An inconsiderate person on a cruise ship who stakes a claim to a lounge chair in a preferred location by depositing personal effects (towel, book, food) on the chair, then leaves the area with no intention of immediately using the chair, thus denying the use of the chair to fellow cruisers (who have paid good money for this cruise and should have equal access to the chair), and who may (or may not) return several hours later, expecting to be able to plunk their rear end down in the chair, oblivious to the inconvenience caused to his or her fellow cruiser, who would have been more than happy to enjoy the chair at the time of their visit to the deck or pool, but couldn't because of the actions of some boorish, discourteous, impolite, rude, self-centered, selfish, thoughtless, unthinking moron who didn't get the lesson about sharing when in kindergarten. "The chair hog was upset when she came back at 3:30 to the chair she had dumped her book and towel on at 8:00, only to find that a knowledgeable Cruise Critic member had asked the pool attendant to remove the hog's personal effects, after the member had to stand around with a stopwatch waiting for a half-hour to elapse to make sure the chair wasn't actually being used by someone who was in the pool or on an extended bathroom break."

2. Same as above, but one who hogs a chair in the theater.

3. A porcine animal that has been trained to sit on a chair.

Let's hear it for run-on sentences!

Celebrity's policy states that "deck chairs cannot be saved". There is no 30 minute grace period! (of course you can tell if the chair had been occupied and the person(s) were in the pool, buffet...,)

I make a general sweep of and area I would like to sit and head back to the cabin to get my "stuff"; when I return I gather up all the books, sandals, towels, personal effects in the area I've chosen and place them where the owners can find it. Done!

They are breaking the rules! Period!

Ask Host Joe, there is a bunch of us in the "underground chair hog patrol" --

Happens on every ship! Oceania was the worst.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Chair Hog: -noun

1. An inconsiderate person on a cruise ship who stakes a claim to a lounge chair in a preferred location by depositing personal effects (towel, book, food) on the chair, then leaves the area with no intention of immediately using the chair, thus denying the use of the chair to fellow cruisers (who have paid good money for this cruise and should have equal access to the chair), and who may (or may not) return several hours later, expecting to be able to plunk their rear end down in the chair, oblivious to the inconvenience caused to his or her fellow cruiser, who would have been more than happy to enjoy the chair at the time of their visit to the deck or pool, but couldn't because of the actions of some boorish, discourteous, impolite, rude, self-centered, selfish, thoughtless, unthinking moron who didn't get the lesson about sharing when in kindergarten. "The chair hog was upset when she came back at 3:30 to the chair she had dumped her book and towel on at 8:00, only to find that a knowledgeable Cruise Critic member had asked the pool attendant to remove the hog's personal effects, after the member had to stand around with a stopwatch waiting for a half-hour to elapse to make sure the chair wasn't actually being used by someone who was in the pool or on an extended bathroom break."

2. Same as above, but one who hogs a chair in the theater.

3. A porcine animal that has been trained to sit on a chair.

Let's hear it for run-on sentences!

Well said!!!:D

Celebrity's policy states that "deck chairs cannot be saved". There is no 30 minute grace period!

True enough, but there has to be some sort of standard to separate chair hogging from temporarily vacating the chair to use the pool, get a quick bite, or use the rest room. I know if I were gone for five minutes, came back to find my stuff gone, and someone sitting in the chair, saying, "Well, YOU weren't using it!", I'd be a little upset. Thirty minutes would seem to be the consensus on the line to draw, as I believe other cruise lines that specify a time use thirty minutes.

I would never, under any circumstances, touch someone else's property. Rude behavior does not justify rude behavior. Such an action might be prohibited by the cruise line under the catchall of disruptive behavior, and there might even be legal issues involved. Since Celebrity provides a pool attendant, better to point it out and let them take the heat for it. If the attendant is unwilling to deal with the situation, get their name and mention it to Guest Services.

Archived