Princess allows non-cruisers onboard for embarkation day

Infi

A great marketing idea. Princess already have a very stringent security process for guests of crew and for the TAs. I really like the $39 FCC which really means a free lunch for those visitors lucky enough to be in a home port. As crew I have brought family and friends on board and I know that at least 4 friends are now hooked on cruising having been so impressed by the port visit.

Not to sure about this....Time will tell.

~

So many complain about not being able to have lunch on embarkment day in the main dining room yet with this new "Bon Voyage Experience" non-paying guests are entitled to a four-course dining room lunch with wine. :cool: Just don't get it.

Well, I read there was a $39 charge.

Also, have you been disrupted by non-cruise pax yet to date?

Los Angeles has lots of 3 day cruises, but they are different types of cruises than a Princess and less refined. We rarely have short Princess cruises out of LA.

I would not say the 3 day cruises are less refined. Except for not having lobster served, these cruises actually offer more for your buck. 2 production shows, lots of activities offered, same menus as 7 day or longer cruises. What more can one ask for?

I would not say the 3 day cruises are less refined. Except for not having lobster served, these cruises actually offer more for your buck. 2 production shows, lots of activities offered, same menus as 7 day or longer cruises. What more can one ask for?

I believe the poster is referring to Carnival vs. Princess, not 3 nights vs. 7 nights.

There is a big difference in the passenger mix between a three night cruise and a seven night cruise.

I just got my e-mail from Princess for our upcoming cruise. I think it's a great idea. We live in LA, so leaving from San Pedro, I already have a few ideas of people who have always wondered why it is we like cruising so much. They can't imagine being "stuck on a ship" for 2 weeks. They might just get to find out!

I was told that "the longer the cruise, the better the food" and i am not sure this is really true but it seems true to me based on my experiences. My thought was that in coming on board for 4 hours on a ship that is departing for a longer cruise might yield better food!

I was told that "the longer the cruise, the better the food" and i am not sure this is really true but it seems true to me based on my experiences. My thought was that in coming on board for 4 hours on a ship that is departing for a longer cruise might yield better food!

Now, I have to admit, I have never heard or read that statement before. We have sailed on short cruises and longer cruises and the food has always been the same on both. :confused:

Not my experience.

Now, I have to admit, I have never heard or read that statement before. We have sailed on short cruises and longer cruises and the food has always been the same on both. :confused:

Likewise.

I agree, the coastal and repo cruises that we have taken have had the same food quality of all of our cruise. I find that puzzling too. :confused:

Based on experience and not hearsay.

I am assuming this is only allowed ONCE at the beginning point of the cruise??

In other words, if I'm leaving Los Angeles and cruising to Hawaii, I probably couldn't have my family in Honolulu join us for lunch... right?

In other words, if I'm leaving Los Angeles and cruising to Hawaii, I probably couldn't have my family in Honolulu join us for lunch... right?

Who knows? I don't think it would hurt to ask.

You assume correctly......

The roll-out schedule for the launch of the Bon Voyage Experience is: Sapphire Princess -- March 6 in Los Angeles

Crown Princess -- March 6 in Fort Lauderdale

Coral Princess -- March 7 in Los Angeles

Emerald Princess -- March 7 in Fort Lauderdale

Island Princess -- March 10 in Los Angeles

Ruby Princess -- March 10 in Fort Lauderdale

Golden Princess -- March 14 in Los Angeles

Royal Princess -- March 27 in Fort Lauderdale

Star Princess -- April 10 in Fort Lauderdale

Caribbean Princess -- May 18 in New York

Sea Princess -- June 1 in San Francisco

During the Alaska season, Sapphire Princess, Golden Princess and Royal Princess will offer the program in Seattle, beginning in May.

Here in NYC, NCL and Carnival both have done one night cruises "to nowhere" that return to their port of origin. These are good ways for someone who has trepidation of taking a longer cruise to test the waters, so to speak.

I will admit that these cruises attract crowds that tend to be "party hardy" types that are aboard to eat, drink, and gamble like there's no tomorrow (which there isn't of course), and they may not even use their cabins.

But the food, entertainment, and all aspects of a cruise (except shore excursions) can be sampled.

I do not like it either from a security perspective. I agree it is a nice idea but unfortunately not in the times in which we live.

The following agencies oversee cruiseline security and I am surprised that they would allow this. These agencies include the U.S. Coast Guard, the Department of Transportation, Customs and Border Protection, Office of Naval Intelligence, the Department of Homeland Security and the FBI, among others.

I agree.

Well actually I heard this on my 2nd cruise--on the 3 day Mariner OTS Mexico cruise. The food was not great, and I was told it was better on the longer cruises.

Well actually I heard this on my 2nd cruise--on the 3 day Mariner OTS Mexico cruise. The food was not great, and I was told it was better on the longer cruises.

That would be a bit difficult to compare on Princess, as there are very very few 3 day sailings on Princess. It might be true on RCI, but I have never noticed a difference on a Princess cruise comparing a 7 day sailing to a 30 day sailing. The food has always been consistant on both. ;)

I think people need to understand that they will not get gourmet food-it is banquet food pure and simple. I have to wonder what people eat at home that they complain about ship food and they couldn't find "anything" to eat.:rolleyes:

That would be a bit difficult to compare on Princess, as there are very very few 3 day sailings on Princess. It might be true on RCI, but I have never noticed a difference on a Princess cruise comparing a 7 day sailing to a 30 day sailing. The food has always been consistant on both. ;)

Good to know, I've never been on anything shorter than a 7 night on Princess.

I did think the food on my 28 day Ruby TA last year was much better than the food on the Mex Riv ships (Golden/Sapphire), or was that because of Generoso?

Based on experience, food on 3 day cruises vs 7, 10 or 16 day ones were also consistent.

Good to know, I've never been on anything shorter than a 7 night on Princess.

I did think the food on my 28 day Ruby TA last year was much better than the food on the Mex Riv ships (Golden/Sapphire), or was that because of Generoso?

Shouldn't the food quality be attributed to the Chef and his team? I agree that Generoso deserves all the accolades for the service in the dining rooms but giving him credit for the food quality is really reaching, don't you think?

Shouldn't the food quality be attributed to the Chef and his team? I agree that Generoso deserves all the accolades for the service in the dining rooms but giving him credit for the food quality is really reaching, don't you think?

I dunno about that. He is pretty magical. :p

If the $39 is given back to them essentially how much money will the cost the ship with food and what not........will this then raise the prices for those of that are sailing??:confused:

You're worried that 50 extra lunches will raise the price of sailing? :rolleyes: This won't even make a dent in the normal provisioning for a cruise. It'll be a money-maker for Princess and I wouldn't be surprised if other lines start doing it too...

I do not like it either from a security perspective. I agree it is a nice idea but unfortunately not in the times in which we live.

The following agencies oversee cruiseline security and I am surprised that they would allow this. These agencies include the U.S. Coast Guard, the Department of Transportation, Customs and Border Protection, Office of Naval Intelligence, the Department of Homeland Security and the FBI, among others.

I agree.

To you and the other worry-warts... as many have pointed out, this is done all the time and the cruise lines have it down to a science. In your world, maybe no one should ever sail or fly... they might get hurt! :p Oh sure, something might happen, but something might happen at any time. No use worrying about something that is beyond your control. Trust that the line makes your safety and the security of their ships a matter of utmost importance.

Based on experience, food on 3 day cruises vs 7, 10 or 16 day ones were also consistent.

I swear I have never had food like that, it was definitely Generoso! Positive about this!

my niece who lives near los angeles will be one of the first visitors aboard when i sail to mexico on mar 6. she has been given a booking number and must fill in all the info on the cruise personalizer, the same as we do.

as for the cost--she's driving us to the port, so we're saving money: the $39 is cheaper than transfers would have cost us!

Archived