Personal question for females**help**

Almost Packed

Ladies,

"Aunt Flo" may be visiting a few days in to my cruise. Since how the timing of the monthly visit for me is never a guaranteed time, I really have no idea...just a guesstimate.

My family and I were planning on a discover scuba in Grand Cayman and a snorkel trip in Cozumel.

I want to book the excursion but I'm not sure. If i book, and the unwanted Aunt Flo visits, do I cancel? Can I cancel w/out penalty? Is it okay to go anyways? What are your thoughts/experiences.

thanks in advance

I never scuba'd before but why couldn't you go? Personally I use birth control to help regulate mine. If I know I have something going on I'll change up my pill schedule so my time isn't during the trip :) Tho I don't see why you wouldn't be able to enjoy your excursion. Just take lots of Midol if you have cramping issues!

i will feel fabulous regardless of how i actually feel! lol. I'LL BE ON VACATION...ON A CRUISE! :D

i didn't know if there were any concerns about it...other than the obvious.

someone i work with said his wife absolutely will not dive during that time because sharks can smell something like 8 miles away...lol...so i wasn't sure if there should be other concerns as well.

i am no longer on the pill so that's not an option any longer for me. :o

hard to believe it is the men answering this post

stated another way . . . if you would feel comfortable swimming with your method of 'flo control' then I'd see no reason why not to dive . . . spousal unit has for years.

If you are feeling fine, dive. I dive 2 to 3 times a month from May to December as I live in Florida. Lots of women go with "Aunt Flo" and we have never had sharks come. I have only seen 3 sharks in 55 dives of the Florida East Coast. They saw us, took off, and some of the divers never did get to see the shark.

Terri

My personal experience has been that tampons would leak, and I had to spend the day in my wetsuit. OB Silk-glide tampons worked better than others, but I was still locked in my wetsuit until I could get to a shower.

A couple of years ago, I found the ladies community over on ScubaBoard, and ladies on there recommended the DivaCup (http://www.divacup.com) or Instead (http://www.softcup.com).

I ordered a DivaCup that very night, and I'll never go back to tampons or pads. Ever. No leaks, no cramps, no problems. I just wish I had had something like it 25 years ago!

Wendy

A couple of years ago, I found the ladies community over on ScubaBoard, and ladies on there recommended the DivaCup (http://www.divacup.com) or Instead (http://www.softcup.com).

I ordered a DivaCup that very night, and I'll never go back to tampons or pads. Ever. No leaks, no cramps, no problems. I just wish I had had something like it 25 years ago!

Wendy

A female dive buddy of mine also recommended that "device" to other female divers on the http://www.scuabdiving.com message board. I'd trust her recommendation.

• 4 weeks later...
My personal experience has been that tampons would leak, and I had to spend the day in my wetsuit. OB Silk-glide tampons worked better than others, but I was still locked in my wetsuit until I could get to a shower.

Wendy

I will second the Diva and Instead. I use both of them. Instead would be great for this because they are disposable.

Personally I use birth control to help regulate mine. If I know I have something going on I'll change up my pill schedule so my time isn't during the trip

Me too!! and DH is even fixed!! I learned from my female friend who is also a pharmacist how to manipulate TOM's with those fabulous pills. I will adjust before hand to "change" my TOM so it won't even THINK about visiting me during MY cruise. When she told me about this method I immediately wondered why this wasn't a topic of conversation among ALL women and why hadn't anyone ever shared this info with me before??

Me too!! and DH is even fixed!! I learned from my female friend who is also a pharmacist how to manipulate TOM's with those fabulous pills. I will adjust before hand to "change" my TOM so it won't even THINK about visiting me during MY cruise. When she told me about this method I immediately wondered why this wasn't a topic of conversation among ALL women and why hadn't anyone ever shared this info with me before??

yep, i learned about that years ago. however, i'm no longer on the pill and have no plans to take it anymore.

but you are correct, most women have no idea that they can change up their pills, have it to where they start on mondays and finish up by the weekend.

AP,

I have been diving for 5 years. And of course, had to deal with the same issue. I use Tampons and have never had a problem. The only problem that would possibly stop me is cramps. And I take Advil for them. But I've never had tampons leak or be an issue. So don't worry and go have fun.

yep, i learned about that years ago. however, i'm no longer on the pill and have no plans to take it anymore.

but you are correct, most women have no idea that they can change up their pills, have it to where they start on mondays and finish up by the weekend.

Not just changing the days but also can manipulate the week. I don't take them anymore either but have about a 3-month supply that I keep around for manipulation reasons. I will no longer have this interfere with my long awaited vacation.

You can dive with Flo visiting.

I saw somewhere that women are at an increased risk of DCS during their menstrual period. I don't remember where though. Since this is a discover dive and not like a tech dive, I wouldn't worry about it.

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of years ago, I found the ladies community over on ScubaBoard, and ladies on there recommended the DivaCup (www.divacup.com) or Instead (www.softcup.com).

Wendy

I 100% agree!! I love my Diva Cup! I ordered mine several years ago and have never gone back to tampons. There is no problem with leakage or mess plus it saves you tons of money because you can use the same one for something like 10 years (unless you have children and need to order a different size. I swim, snorkel and dive in mine and have never had a problem :)

• 10 months later...

Great advice on the cup-I'll have to get one since it seems without fail I end up bringing auntie along with me on vacation! I've had a few issues when the trip back to the shop is long (heck most folk pee in their suits though so I do t think it's the end of the world if there was an accident). As for sharks-I've been in the water with sharks during that time and have yet to be eaten :)

I love sharks, but couldn't manage to attract any back in the days when I had to deal with leaks and stay in my wetsuit all day. Not even when we dove with folks that were spearfishing.

Had to give up the pill many years ago - too old and a smoker as well. Wish they had the new one they're advertising now back then, where 'Auntie' only comes 4 times a year.

We're heading out on a B2B in a couple weeks, and I'm going to be doing 5 sets of dives over the two weeks. NO worries at all - I'm taking my Diva, because 'Auntie' will be showing up for the trip as well.

Have a great and comfortable time in the water!

Wendy

Archived