Samana made my cruise..

CRAMERICA99

Yep, hard to believe but it's true.

You can see I am not a poster on cruise critic only a reader ... but this seemed worth getting the word out to those listening. Maybe like you I was wondering what I would do for Samana.... is this place too scary? And who is this Terry guy. Should I just stay on the ship and skip this one like I have read so many times?

Well, I have been back two weeks now and I am shocked. I went on this cruise to see the Virgin Islands not the Dominican Republic. However.....when I went back to work and answered the "How was your cruise" question I only talked about the experience of Samana.

I am not much of a writer so forgive me. I'll try to get to the point. I booked the horse ride in El Valle with Terry 6 months or so out not knowing what I was getting into. We met up with another couple from NY (that were great people by the way) and were picked up by Domingo (partner and friend of Terry's) at the dock. Yes, it is true you probably don't want to wander around without a plan.... but please don't waste this port.

All the great things you have read about Terry are true. He is one of the most likeable people I have ever met. He was actually having fun showing you this country. He had other larger groups this day but because he gave me his word he took our small group. We bounced around on some back roads in a van and made it to the horses (they are very small almost mule like). It was fantastic... we were in the absolute middle of nowhere as Terry pointed out chocolate, coffee, almonds and bananas. We splashed down the river having so much fun I am still grinning. Terry and his crew were always in control but at the same time I got a real sense of adventure. My wife and 10 year old daughter even had a ball.

Terry took us to a local house/store/hut and we interacted with the people. They had prepared samples of the fruits and coffee. I can't describe how good a cup of coffee made in the middle of the jungle from local bushes 10 feet away tastes...

The rest of the day was one fantastic experience after another.

This was the first port and it was hard for any of the other commercial port experiences to compare.

If you are going to Samana and want to really do something almost life changing book a day with Terry.

Neil

You are not alone in loving Samana. I did, too, although most people didn't. I didn't do a tour with Terry - just did the horseback to El Limon tour offered by the ship. But I absolutely fell in love with the beauty of the DR - kind of shabby, yes, but a beautiful country and awesome (but a little scary) horseback ride!

We were in the DR probably 5 years ago, for a week. We Loved the country and People. Two cruises ago we stopped at Samana, and it seemed like the only thing to do was The Beach Party- and as one of our sons was already badly sunburned, we just stayed on the ship.

This time we're going with Terry. I'll let you know how it went when we get back.

We're still looking for more adventurous people who want to see a beautiful waterfall, ride horses, visit a local school and drop off supplies, eat great food, swim, visit a cigar shop...all at a very reasonable price.

Monday 3/29/10. Please join us.

Someone mentioned earlier that it was life-changing. After re-reading this, I know that our first trip was...and this one will be too, because you will actually meet the people. Not just the beggars and the people hassling you to buy a trinket.

Remember this is the Other side of the island from Haiti. Half was "given" to the the French, half to the Spanish.

All of it to the Corrupt...

This thread is such a pleasant surprise!

Just a few days ago, someone mentioned to me what a waste of time Samana was

and why did the cruise ships even bother stopping there?

But it was the same thing when we were headed for Tunis on our Med. cruise.

Tunis-550.jpg

Part of the ancient semi-circular harbour at Carthage, today.

Doing research beforehand, people were saying.. Oh don't even get off the ship,there! :cool:

Hey, I'm not travelling all that way to stay on the ship like some paranoid WASP.

I looked thru the ship's tours and selected their Carthage and scenic Sidi Bou Said tour

and we had a great time. So glad we went.

Carthage_archway.jpg

An archway among the ruins of ancient Carthage!

Thanks for posting that!! We will be taking the horse/waterfall tour with Terry on March 24th coming from the Explorer of the Seas. There are 9 of us, but the tour can fit more if anyone is interested. Terry has been very prompt in emailing me back and his emails are very informative.

We just returned on Feb 14 from the Feb 5th sailing on the Explorer of the Seas. We did the ATV tour with Terry (Eliseo was our guide). We had a blast and will definately book something with Terry if we get the chance to visit Samana again! :D

Thanks for posting that!! We will be taking the horse/waterfall tour with Terry on March 24th coming from the Explorer of the Seas. There are 9 of us, but the tour can fit more if anyone is interested. Terry has been very prompt in emailing me back and his emails are very informative.

How much will the tour cost per person. my husband and i will be on that sailing and we are looking for something to do!

cramerica99 - thanks so much for posting this info on this excursion with terry. Terry listed it as tour 3b - El Valle waterfall and beach on horseback. Is this the same tour you took? I just booked this tour with him for my upcoming cruise in June. Unfortunately terry will not be available to be our guide but says that his friend will be our tour guide. Can you give a little more specifics if you dont mind?

How long tour lasted?

lunch on beach, was it good food & what kind?

how much time spent on horseback & at the beach?

Were you able to ride the horse on the beach?

Once again thank you so much for posting, I almost gave up hope of finding anything to do while in Samana and was not interested in any of the other tours terry had until I saw this one.

Ok.... again not much of a writer so you were warned...

I will try to answer your questions...

First it does help to get yourself in the right frame of mind for Samana..You will be surprised at some of the living conditions until you realize as I did and Terry pointed out... the people are smiling... they are happy. We are so quick to assume they must be miserable without all the luxuries we have. Maybe this is why this had such an impact on me.

We got a late start as we had to wait for some in our group who did not get on the first few tenders so we started 45 minutes late.... this may have effected the pace of our day.

15 minute van ride into the absolute middle of who knows where. gravel roads up over the hills.

When we met up with the horses I was shocked how small they were .. Almost big donkeys... at first I was a little bummed but Terry assured me these were Dominican horses and had some spunk and were very strong. We jumped on and Terry lead us down some trails and through a few shallow streams... pointing out chocolate and coffee and bananas... and so many interesting things I lost track of time.. Maybe 45 minutes or an hour.

We got to a Dominican house and they were expecting us..gave us a good chance to stretch our legs and walk around for a bit. Terry brought out plate after plate of local fruits to taste and discuss. A cup of delicious fresh coffee. some chocolate in various forms.... I even bought some raw chocolate and coffee from this family. I got the feeling some of the items are part of the show but some things I am not so sure always appear... they brought out some home made liquor/wine that was probably the best alcohol I have ever had..... Can’t say the atmosphere did not have something to do with it. This part ..maybe another 45 minutes...

Back on the horses... more riding through rivers and laughing... more wowing at where you are and what you are doing. I have to say Terry made the day... not that another tour without him would not be great.... he narrated the whole way... another 45 minutes to the beach...

The beach was nice but the surf was extremely powerful and Terry did not want us to get to close. The beach itself is fairly small so you are not going to go off riding. I did get the impression because of time and the surf he modified our trip a bit her and we posed for a lot of pictures and milled around in on the beach for 20 minutes or so...

Lunch.... well....hmmm. I guess I was hungry and it was very authentic. There is a little hut outdoor eating area and we had a large plate of chicken (maybe the skinniest chicken you ever saw) and some fish... lots of rice and a salad.... It was a good memory but can't say I really filled up. I did order a drink in a coconut... because that seemed like a good idea... it was a little too warm for me and again it was fun but not overly delicious...really could have used some ice. Considering where you are these are NOT complaints mind you. Just trying to give you an honest run down.

After lunch... a few minutes on the beach and we had to get in the van for a 15-20 minute ride up to a waterfall area. We parked and walked in... This is a small water fall and a little unimpressive at first but I got in the water and swam but no one else besides Terry and I did. Along the way are a few trail side merchants selling earrings and necklaces. We had to keep moving for Terry to get us back to the van for a 20-30 minute ride back to the ship...

Forgive me if my times don't add up right... it was one of the most amazing days of my life and the time flew by. I had really stressed to Terry how much I wanted to spend time on the horses and how much I liked riding down the rivers so we spent a lot of time doing just that. I am sure if you would like to focus on the beach... more time could be alloted for that.

I hope this helps give a little bit of a feel for how the day might flow.... It has been a month now and I mean it when I said Smana made my cruise.. There is nothing very risky or dangerous about it..... but it feels exciting and unspoiled. If you have been given this port....seriously consider making something of it. I know how leary you are.... I was.

I should also mention that after lunch Terry produced some ice cold Presidente beers. I have since read about them being the famous beer of the DR. I can not tell you how good a few of those went down. I have been on the hunt for them ever since we got back.......

Have one for me...

Once again thank you for taking the time to post this review of your excursion and for answering all of my questions. Btw you are a great writer, you did a much better job than I could have.

Your review was very much needed for this port. I'm sure alot of people out there like myself are hesitant to book anything for this port but after reading your fantastic review of one of terrys tours I am no longer hesitant.

I too will post a review of this excusion once I return from my June 3rd sailing.

Ok.... again not much of a writer so you were warned...

I will try to answer your questions...

First it does help to get yourself in the right frame of mind for Samana..You will be surprised at some of the living conditions until you realize as I did and Terry pointed out... the people are smiling... they are happy. We are so quick to assume they must be miserable without all the luxuries we have. Maybe this is why this had such an impact on me.

We got a late start as we had to wait for some in our group who did not get on the first few tenders so we started 45 minutes late.... this may have effected the pace of our day.

15 minute van ride into the absolute middle of who knows where. gravel roads up over the hills.

When we met up with the horses I was shocked how small they were .. Almost big donkeys... at first I was a little bummed but Terry assured me these were Dominican horses and had some spunk and were very strong. We jumped on and Terry lead us down some trails and through a few shallow streams... pointing out chocolate and coffee and bananas... and so many interesting things I lost track of time.. Maybe 45 minutes or an hour.

We got to a Dominican house and they were expecting us..gave us a good chance to stretch our legs and walk around for a bit. Terry brought out plate after plate of local fruits to taste and discuss. A cup of delicious fresh coffee. some chocolate in various forms.... I even bought some raw chocolate and coffee from this family. I got the feeling some of the items are part of the show but some things I am not so sure always appear... they brought out some home made liquor/wine that was probably the best alcohol I have ever had..... Can’t say the atmosphere did not have something to do with it. This part ..maybe another 45 minutes...

Back on the horses... more riding through rivers and laughing... more wowing at where you are and what you are doing. I have to say Terry made the day... not that another tour without him would not be great.... he narrated the whole way... another 45 minutes to the beach...

The beach was nice but the surf was extremely powerful and Terry did not want us to get to close. The beach itself is fairly small so you are not going to go off riding. I did get the impression because of time and the surf he modified our trip a bit her and we posed for a lot of pictures and milled around in on the beach for 20 minutes or so...

Lunch.... well....hmmm. I guess I was hungry and it was very authentic. There is a little hut outdoor eating area and we had a large plate of chicken (maybe the skinniest chicken you ever saw) and some fish... lots of rice and a salad.... It was a good memory but can't say I really filled up. I did order a drink in a coconut... because that seemed like a good idea... it was a little too warm for me and again it was fun but not overly delicious...really could have used some ice. Considering where you are these are NOT complaints mind you. Just trying to give you an honest run down.

After lunch... a few minutes on the beach and we had to get in the van for a 15-20 minute ride up to a waterfall area. We parked and walked in... This is a small water fall and a little unimpressive at first but I got in the water and swam but no one else besides Terry and I did. Along the way are a few trail side merchants selling earrings and necklaces. We had to keep moving for Terry to get us back to the van for a 20-30 minute ride back to the ship...

Forgive me if my times don't add up right... it was one of the most amazing days of my life and the time flew by. I had really stressed to Terry how much I wanted to spend time on the horses and how much I liked riding down the rivers so we spent a lot of time doing just that. I am sure if you would like to focus on the beach... more time could be alloted for that.

I hope this helps give a little bit of a feel for how the day might flow.... It has been a month now and I mean it when I said Smana made my cruise.. There is nothing very risky or dangerous about it..... but it feels exciting and unspoiled. If you have been given this port....seriously consider making something of it. I know how leary you are.... I was.

I just read your post and really enjoyed it! Thanks so much for sharing, I hope it's okay, I wanted to share this with my fellow roll call who will be visiting Samana the week of Easter aboard the Noordam.

Looking forward to Samana, thanks in great part to you! Kim

Another vote for Terry!! We used his services back in January for the horseback ride to the El Limon waterfalls and it will always be a day to remember for our family. Terry is very likeable and friendly - he is truly an advocate for Samana. It was clear that he wanted to share some of the very best of the island and people with us. It was a wonderful day, indeed. :)

We loved this port as well.

We did not tour. Just walked around, stopped at the local vendors, got some FANTASTIC DEALS! Especially if you buy from one vendor -- the deals just get better. Got everyone something great here.

This was nice and relaxing. WARM but that is why we go south.

I would go back any day. Don't miss out on this unspoiled port.

I also am thinking about emailing Terry for this excursion. Just a question, has anyone heard about malaria cases in DR? It is suggested to wear long sleeved shirt and pants and apply DEET to reduce risk of malaria and dengue(www.travel.gov). Does anyone think this is something to be concerned about? I'm definitely would be staying on the ship!

Oh, you are making me miss Samana! By the way, I found a video on YouTube that someone posted of the horse ride to the waterfall. It only shows a short part of the route, and maybe not the route that people going with Terry will take, but if anyone's interested, let me know and I'll dig up a link. That horse (donkey?) ride was a little scary.....ok, it was a LOT scary...and I don't scare easily!

We just returned on Feb 14 from the Feb 5th sailing on the Explorer of the Seas. We did the ATV tour with Terry (Eliseo was our guide). We had a blast and will definately book something with Terry if we get the chance to visit Samana again! :D

Can you give me some more info about the ATV tour with Terry? I am considering it, but haven't yet read any reviews. Can you tell me what it was like?

Archived