Trivia/Piano Bar on Solstice? Compare to RCCL?

psuboater

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the Celebrity Boards- I've been on NCL, HAL, and a Platnium member of RCCL, but this year my mom and I are taking our annual mother/daughter cruise on the Solstice (May sailing - Mexico, Honduras). This is both our first times on Celebrity. I'm in my mid-20s, and my mom is in her late 50s.

So a few questions:

1) We love our trivia! Does the Solstice offer a daily trivia contest?(not just a sheet in the library)

2) Is there a piano player/piano bar somewhere on the ship? That's also another favorite of ours on RCCL

3) I know Celebrity is owned by RCCL and is known as the higher tier of brands. What are some differences that we should expect/look forward to compared to RCCL?

Thanks in advance for your answers...we're pumped!

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the Celebrity Boards- I've been on NCL, HAL, and a Platnium member of RCCL, but this year my mom and I are taking our annual mother/daughter cruise on the Solstice (May sailing - Mexico, Honduras). This is both our first times on Celebrity. I'm in my mid-20s, and my mom is in her late 50s.

So a few questions:

1) We love our trivia! Does the Solstice offer a daily trivia contest?(not just a sheet in the library)

2) Is there a piano player/piano bar somewhere on the ship? That's also another favorite of ours on RCCL

3) I know Celebrity is owned by RCCL and is known as the higher tier of brands. What are some differences that we should expect/look forward to compared to RCCL?

With regard to trivia, this is one of my favorite activities as well. There are several trivia events per day on Celebrity (at least, there were on Solstice). There are even themed quizzes (science, geography, music- "name that tune") in addition to general knowledge questions. My voyage had a Canadian couple on board that had been on a zillion cruises. Well, they must have participated in trivia on all of those trips, as they knew all of the answers and won all the time. Kudos to them for that, but, it sort of took the fun out of it. Hardly the fault of Celebrity. We still beat them once (USA!! USA!!!!) and it was a sweet victory. I was a three time trvia champion on my last Princess cruise...the deck was not stacked against me there. :D

There are piano players all over the ship in the lounges. We liked the acapella group as well. In my opinion, these small groups were much better than the stuff in the main theatre. Just my opinion, though.

No idea about how it compares to RCCL. I last sailed on Royal to Bermuda in 1988 on Song of Norway, when I was 11. I think it might be a wee bit different now.

Thanks for letting me know everyone! Good to know we're not missing out on trivia- that's how we meet our friends - actually a couple that we met in our cruise in May is coming with us this year (and came to a cruise I had with my friends in October!)

A couple stories with crazy trivia people -- an older lady named Bettywho we met last May would write down every question and answer to every trivia question and study them -- not so much for her other cruises but for her own knowledge - she did help us win with the question of "Which animal has the highest blood pressure? (A: Giraffe)"

Flash forward to the cruise in October and that question came up - one of our friends remembered the answer because of Betty a few months back. We were the only team who got it right, and this group of women got SO angry at us, they kept talking about how we cheated - we even overheard them talk about it 15 minutes after trivia was over!

It was progressive trivia, and we ended up taking home the gold - the women ended up taking the silver. It was sweet, sweet victory :D

Hi everyone,

So a few questions:

We're booked on the Solstice on the May 23 sailing, which are you going on? Have you gone to the Roll Call thread for your sailing yet?

We're booked on the Solstice on the May 23 sailing, which are you going on? Have you gone to the Roll Call thread for your sailing yet?

We'll be going on the May 9th sailing, and I haven't checked out the Roll Call board, but I will now -- thanks for the suggestion! :)

We are also enjoy trivia on Celebrity. The couple ( actually only the husband) are infamous among X cruisers. I have actually checked boards to see if he will be on a sailing. It just takes all of the fun out of playing.

I totally agree with this. We stopped going to trivia on one cruise when this couple were on board. The husband was way out of line, even arguing with other teams saying things like "Right is right" when people were discussing the answer to one of the music trivia games (it was about the theme from the James Bond movies). The guy was totally obnoxious throughout the entire cruise whenever trivia was played.

I suppose I should have been tipped off when the Cruise Director's staff knew them by name at the first event. When I made my earlier post, I didn't know they were famous among Celebrity Cruises, wow!!...Celebrity Celebrities, I guess...haha.

To be fair, if they take a ton of cruises, they deserve to win a pen or two. They certainly have provided the Celebrity Cruise Line with a fair bit of revenue in cruise fares. It does take the fun out if it for the rest of us, though.

I used to play trivia every cruise. A few years ago I must have found the wrong group. These gals were the WORST:eek:.....you would have

thought it was between life and death:rolleyes:. I guess I am not a competitive person because after that experience? I haven't played trivia in a long,

long time. These women were total ........ and they definitely took the fun out of it.

I used to play trivia every cruise. A few years ago I must have found the wrong group. These gals were the WORST:eek:.....you would have

thought it was between life and death:rolleyes:. I guess I am not a competitive person because after that experience? I haven't played trivia in a long,

long time. These women were total ........ and they definitely took the fun out of it.

Lois, I agree trivia games are just games and are meant to be fun. I know who some people are talking about and they have been on many cruises and love trivia. We played against them and came close so that was good enough for me. I really don't need a pen.:D

Pat

• 2 weeks later...

It is so funny how well- known certain ( less than delightful) passengers can be within certain groups.

I really enjoy the trivia games. We routinely give away the prizes to other teams that have not won, rather than hoard all the loot.

People actually sell this stuff on craigslist, etc. We are talking pens and luggage tags here!

The "battle of the sexes" can get ugly, sad to admit. More often than not, it seems to be the women who can get crazed. Still more fun than the pool olympics to me!

Archived