The Legend is "Broken"

albycruisin

For those boarding today and concerned about MDR plans, I bet they will have "your time dining" for everyone. My wife and I were on Inspiration in December 2009 when it was very late to port because of weather. We had late dining but when we boarded around 7PM, they handed out cards stating that the Mardia Gras would be open for all at 8PM. And I am sure the buffet will be available.

We have a Legend cruise booked for December 2010 so certainly hoping that this problem gets fixed. :)

Aircraft measure travel distance in nautical miles and air speed in knots.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5730573_air-miles-vs_-land-miles.html

As a pilot, I can confirm with absolute confidence, that we do measure distances in nautical miles, and speed in knots aboard aircraft. As a matter of fact, I was the first one to question the supposition that they'd probably go to the Bahamas instead of anyplace else, but someone dumped my post??? I guess they didn't want to hear my opinion which was based on the distances from Tampa to the Bahamas, as opposed to the distances to Key West, or any of the other ports in the Western Caribbean.

"SKY"

As a pilot, I can confirm with absolute confidence, that we do measure distances in nautical miles, and speed in knots aboard aircraft. As a matter of fact, I was the first one to question the supposition that they'd probably go to the Bahamas instead of anyplace else, but someone dumped my post??? I guess they didn't want to hear my opinion which was based on the distances from Tampa to the Bahamas, as opposed to the distances to Key West, or any of the other ports in the Western Caribbean.

"SKY"

Am I correct in saying that a nautical mile corresponds with one minute of lattitude?

The repair could be something major such as internal damage to the engine itself which would require drydock. But, it could also be something simple that they just did not have the spare parts to. Possibly a circuit breaker tripping off a pump or something else that supports the engine. Maybe they need a new motor starter or something. It still could be repaired tonight.

What will be interesting to watch is whether Carnival admits that there is a problem or denies it for months like they did the Destiny. All I have to say is, if you are booked on the Legend over the next say, 6 months, for the love of God, check your email every day (preferrably several times a day) and open every danged thing that comes in!!! Especially if it has some random code on it and has nothing to do with Carnival!!! :rolleyes:

So you are telling me that is wrong? Its not miles by ship?

Steve

Nautical miles is a unit of measure not unlike inches, feet, yards, miles, kilometers, etc. It is not an indication of how far a ship must travel between two specific points. 1 nautical mile is 1852 meters:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nautical_mile

As has been mentioned in previous posts nm is also the unit of measure used by pilots. Check out this link that shows L.A. to be 1519 nautical miles from Chicago;

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/distanceresult.html?p1=64&p2=137

You cant possibly think that a ship need only travel 1519 nm to get from Illinois to California.

Im beginning to think we are being trolled here.

The repair could be something major such as internal damage to the engine itself which would require drydock. But, it could also be something simple that they just did not have the spare parts to. Possibly a circuit breaker tripping off a pump or something else that supports the engine. Maybe they need a new motor starter or something. It still could be repaired tonight.

Maybe the gas pedal was made by Toyota and they were afraid to step on the gas because it might stick, and while in port they are going to do the recall.

I heard they will just install some oar stations in all of the lower outside cabins and ask those passengers to remain in their cabins for the entire cruise.

Pull . . . . . Pull . . . . . . Pull

That must be what they were doing on the Miracle when it had the hole in the side,

I am sailing on the Legend in 3 weeks. Last night as I logged on to Cruise Critic I teased my wife that I was checking to see if our cruise had been canceled "due to mechanical trouble". Then today I log on and find this thread. Weird...

I am sailing on the Legend in 3 weeks. Last night as I logged on to Cruise Critic I teased my wife that I was checking to see if our cruise had been canceled "due to mechanical trouble". Then today I log on and find this thread. Weird...

Way to go. :mad:

It is now 'officially' past the scheduled departure time for Carnival Legend. Has anything whatsoever been placed on the CCL web site to indicate potential adjustments for today's passengers??

They should probably just check their emails since that is the only way Carnival communicates, it seems. Oh and make sure that they check everything that seems to have random coding or letters on it. Open it especially if you think it is a virus. It'll be from Carnival.

At least you have enough sense to actually CHECK those things. Sigh. :eek:

Crossing my fingers..... but I am beginning to think we are jinxed! My family is booked on the Legend next week for our very first cruise. First my husband falls on Friday and breaks his foot, now this! :(

Look at it this way- you are getting all the problems and bad luck experiences out of the way before you cruise- everything will be perfect on the cruise itself!

We are also booked on the 2/21 sailing. I am hoping someone will post this week as to whether itinerary changes are made. I have my fingers crossed for everyone boarding tonight. I called Carnival today and was told that at this time, there are no itinerary changes except for the late departure. Still, I don't trust that. When we have had itinerary changes, it seems they have been last minute and we were told at the dock. We are pretty flexible, but I'm not really hoping for a week at Key West or the Bahamas.

Thinking positive thoughts, maybe it is something minor that can be fixed tonight.

OK, good, I thought it was me who jinxed it. I booked yesterday for a September Legend cruise. I was on the Legend last September when it collided with another ship in Cozumel. We also had several medical emergencies on that cruise.

I am sailing on the Legend in April...took a lot of convincing for my hubby,because even tho we have attempted to get to Cozumel quite a few times, we have never made it..hurricanes, swine flu,what have you. My hubby is laughing at me,said"Its the Bonnie/Coz curse again".

Im hoping that whatever the problem is it is fixed by then,but no matter where it goes, I will be on that ship:D

SO this is an RCCL ship that sailed yesterday from Cozumel that I grabbed the statistics for.....

Departure was 18 hrs 53 min ago. (at 19:00 h local time)

Arrival will be in 16 hrs 7 min. (at 07:00 h local time)

Traveled distance since Cozumel: 276.61 nm (512.29 km)

Remaining distance to Tampa: 235.07 nm (435.34 km)

So if I add the totals its 509.67NM

So you are telling me that is wrong? Its not miles by ship?

I don't think so,as it plots the ship even showing the underwater topo.Why would thay show nautical maps,even show a little ship on it and its not ship miles?

Steve

Steve...This would be correct for Coz because it is all ater between Coz and Tampa. The site you are using though is showing the trip to the Bahamas as going straight across Florida....What we need is to find a ship doing the Bahamas to Tampa sail on this system above but no ships sial that route out of Tampa....;)

Am I correct in saying that a nautical mile corresponds with one minute of lattitude?

That's affirmative! ;) That's the way it works out. Aircraft and ships all use the nautical mile because we all use the same type charts, and it makes it much more convenient.

"SKY"

Archived