Best way to book?

Dog Drool

p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; } I found a cruise I want to go on but not sure how to book

I want to go on the Westerdam in Jan or Feb 2011 looking for an inside cabin

the last cruses I have been on I always book less then 90 day out using an on-line discounter or direct with Carnival

Do I use a local TA on on line TA or direct with HAL? Should I wait until closer?

Also Dinning the only available is open both the main and early is closed I enjoy eating with other people. Just confused

p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; } I found a cruise I want to go on but not sure how to book

I want to go on the Westerdam in Jan or Feb 2011 looking for an inside cabin

the last cruses I have been on I always book less then 90 day out using an on-line discounter or direct with Carnival

Do I use a local TA on on line TA or direct with HAL? Should I wait until closer?

Also Dinning the only available is open both the main and early is closed I enjoy eating with other people. Just confused

Is there a reason you're thinking about changing how you usually book?

For dining, my understanding is that for the open anytime dining, when you show up at the dining room you simply let the host know that you'd prefer being seated with other people. That's what we plan to do.

I just this week booked a cruise on the Zuiderdam for January, 2011, Panama Canal, using an online discount TA. In obsessing about prices, I've noticed that on this cruise, historically, the balcony and suite prices stay pretty firm (few or no last minute great deals) while the inside and outside cabin prices often get discounted 60% or more in the few months before sailing. So, while I decided to book now on a splurgy suite, if I were looking at inside or outside cabins, I might wait until Fall.

Book the same as usual. There is no difference in dining assignments. I usually find online TA prices are the same as HAL's for inside and outside cabins. If there is a difference, it is small and doesn't make up for added TA fees or the nuisance of having to use the TA as a middleman for any changes or questions.

I just booked our Oct Zuiderdam Cruise. We have a verandah. I was getting rates from both HA and a local internet TA. The TA was $500 cheaper ($250 each) and we got a $100 SBC. HA just gave me their online prices. Nothing extra.

Dan

I wouldn't wait too long to book a Jan or Feb cruise next year..Those are the months most Northerner's want to travel & get away from the cold..I believe those months tend to fill up faster than cruises in the off season months..

Yesterday went on the HAL WEB site looking for a 20 day Caribbean cruise in Nov. this year...Requested a "C" cabin.. Only thing available in "C", was a guarantee, which we don't want..There was a "D" cabin available, which is fine since it was forward (very close to mid-ship) rather than aft..

We have HAL's Mariner Price...Now waiting for several quotes from on-line TA's..Perhaps one of them might have blocked space with an couple of "C" cabins for us & our Friends...

Cheers...:)Betty

I've found that if you don't want a particular stateroom and aren't wed to a particular category of stateroom, you might save some money by waiting until 90 or 120 days before sailing to book.

However, if you are looking at a high-demand cruise, there is some danger that it might sell out.

IMO, it is just a matter of whether or not you're willing to risk waiting to shave away some of the cost.

As to how you book, do it the way with which you're most comfortable. We use a large reputable on-line agency where we find the cruise and the price on the internet, then book it on the phone with one particular agent in this company.

We have also booked with a HAL PCC in the past.

I've found that if you don't want a particular stateroom and aren't wed to a particular category of stateroom, you might save some money by waiting until 90 or 120 days before sailing to book.

However, if you are looking at a high-demand cruise, there is some danger that it might sell out.

IMO, it is just a matter of whether or not you're willing to risk waiting to shave away some of the cost.

As to how you book, do it the way with which you're most comfortable. We use a large reputable on-line agency where we find the cruise and the price on the internet, then book it on the phone with one particular agent in this company.

We have also booked with a HAL PCC in the past.

I just booked directly with HAL. The TA couldn't get me a cabin in the front of the ship where we wanted to be. The PVP put me on hold for 1/2 hour while he negotiated the cabin location we wanted. He also told me that the online or TA cannot sell cabins cheaper then HAL, something recent that came about. Any discounts or onboard credits were coming from the TA's commission.

I can track my own rate decreases and deal directly with the cruise line. Otherwise the TA would have to be involved and I didn't have much luck with them passing on price drops on past cruises. It was a constant battle.

ive been looking at cruises .. have sailed 3 times with hal and alot with other cruise lines .. HAL doesnt seem to discount alot that being said , i watch what offers the online TA,s give .. keep in mind if they charge you to make changes . that could offset the savings. when i do book a cruise like 6 months out.. i never look at the price again .good luck

We saved a significant sum by booking an online TA ($894 per person vs. $1099 on HA site, plus an additional $150 obc per cabin and pinnacle dinner for 2, we were also able to add OBC from HAL).

Now, to get that pricing we sacrificied some flexibility-- any changes cost $39 per booking (one cabin per bookins, so that our family of 5 in two cabins has two bookings).

To us, it was definately worth it--

We view a cabin on a ship as a commodity. No matter where we buy it the product is the same. Only thing left for us is the 'service wrapper' Most of our travel is DIY type. The savings afforded to us by booking on line allow us add additonal time for pre or post cruise vacationing, to get a better cabin, or simply to take more vacations. Others like the white glove TA service and are happy to pay for it.

I just booked directly with HAL. The TA couldn't get me a cabin in the front of the ship where we wanted to be. The PVP put me on hold for 1/2 hour while he negotiated the cabin location we wanted. He also told me that the online or TA cannot sell cabins cheaper then HAL, something recent that came about. Any discounts or onboard credits were coming from the TA's commission.

I can track my own rate decreases and deal directly with the cruise line. Otherwise the TA would have to be involved and I didn't have much luck with them passing on price drops on past cruises. It was a constant battle.

I tried both two weeks ago when we booked our Oct Panama Canal Zuiderdam Cruise and found my local TA much cheaper than what HAL's PCC would give us. In fact the HAL PCC gave us the exact price that I rang up online via HALs web site.

Plus we also got a $100 SBC. All the PCC offered to do was that if I noticed that the price dropped, and if I let her know it, then she would lower the price as long as it was before final payment. That's when the best deals are.

Dan

I just booked directly with HAL. The TA couldn't get me a cabin in the front of the ship where we wanted to be.

The PVP put me on hold for 1/2 hour while he negotiated the cabin location we wanted. He also told me that the online or TA cannot sell cabins cheaper then HAL, something recent that came about. Any discounts or onboard credits were coming from the TA's commission..

Sorry, but the PCC was not totally honest with you..;)

Yes we've also heard that TA's will not be able to give future discounts..There is another thread on this..It also depends on the length of cruise you are booking..

However, your PCC did not take into account those TA's which have blocked space ie Group space on HAL at their normal HAL group discount & OBC's plus the little extras that TA's can give you..Believe me HAL does not want to cut out their high producing Travel Agents..

For instance, right now we are looking at a "C" guarantee cabin (only guarantees avail) on the Noordam for Nov. 13, Collector's cruise. (20 days) .Hal's Mariner price is $2706.82 per person Total $5413.64 per cabin incl taxes & Port Chrgs..

We can get that same cabin with a TA which has blocked space for $2361.82 per person, Total $4723.64 incl port chrgs & taxes.. In addition our TA will throw in dinner at the Pinnacle (2 @ $25.00 pp) & $100 OBC..

That's a total savings of $840 per cabin (including the OBC & Pinnacle)...

We can do a lot with that savings, which is certainly not chicken scratch to us...:)

Cheers..Betty

Sorry, but the PCC was not totally honest with you..;)

Yes we've also heard that TA's will not be able to give future discounts..There is another thread on this..It also depends on the length of cruise you are booking..

However, your PCC did not take into account those TA's which have blocked space ie Group space on HAL at their normal HAL group discount & OBC's plus the little extras that TA's can give you..Believe me HAL does not want to cut out their high producing Travel Agents..

For instance, right now we are looking at a "C" guarantee cabin (only guarantees avail) on the Noordam for Nov. 13, Collector's cruise. (20 days) .Hal's Mariner price is $2706.82 per person Total $5413.64 per cabin incl taxes & Port Chrgs..

We can get that same cabin with a TA which has blocked space for $2361.82 per person, Total $4723.64 incl port chrgs & taxes.. In addition our TA will throw in dinner at the Pinnacle (2 @ $25.00 pp) & $100 OBC..

That's a total savings of $840 per cabin (including the OBC & Pinnacle)...

We can do a lot with that savings, which is certainly not chicken scratch to us...:)

Cheers..Betty

I agree, it's not chicken scratch, but here's another point that I found out by accident. On our October 2007 cruise out of New York it was a repositioning cruise before our's, from the west coast and they had a code red before they got to NYC. Everything was a bit confused and while we expected to board at around 12 to 1 pm, it was almost 3 before we finally got onboard. While we were waiting in line, those that had used TA's, were directed to the suite check-in, all others (HAL direct bookers) continued to traverse a long line. A young lady we had van pooled with was in that line and she told us later it too another 2 hours for her to get on-board. The trip did leave later on than evening, well past the normal 5pm exit.

Do HAL direct bookers get a better deal? So far, not that I have seen or have received.

Dan

I agree, it's not chicken scratch, but here's another point that I found out by accident. On our October 2007 cruise out of New York it was a repositioning cruise before our's, from the west coast and they had a code red before they got to NYC. Everything was a bit confused and while we expected to board at around 12 to 1 pm, it was almost 3 before we finally got onboard. While we were waiting in line, those that had used TA's, were directed to the suite check-in, all others (HAL direct bookers) continued to traverse a long line. A young lady we had van pooled with was in that line and she told us later it too another 2 hours for her to get on-board. The trip did leave later on than evening, well past the normal 5pm exit.

Do HAL direct bookers get a better deal? So far, not that I have seen or have received.

Dan

That's interesting..Wonder if they do that in every port?:confused:

We've seen people who have completed their on-line check in being re-directed to another line..But, just because you booked directly with HAL, does not seem fair that you would be in a longer line..:confused:

Betty

That's interesting..Wonder if they do that in every port?:confused:

We've seen people who have completed their on-line check in being re-directed to another line..But, just because you booked directly with HAL, does not seem fair that you would be in a longer line..:confused:

Betty

wow, that doesn't sound right. Our last cruise we checked in early, went out exploring, came back through security, and boarded with the VIP's and we just had a normal veranda room.

My cruise buddy just tried to get the same area as us through her TA and couldn't get it. so she is wondering if the back of the Eurodam is going to have a lot of noise with the engines?

Archived