Friends spending extra for RCCL

Lakesilly605er

We booked a cruise recently on the Valor. Our friends, who book primarily with RCCL booked a cruise for the same week we are going except that they did so on a RCCL cruise. I looked to see what it would cost us to go on the Allure that same weekend, and for the cheapest inside room, it would cost us 1700 dollars more. I just cannot justify that sort of price differential. We love to cruise and take vacations, but we have to watch what we spend. Anyone had anything similar happen to them? They are our friends, but unless they want to pay the difference, we will just have to compare vacations when they are over.

DH and I have cruised on RCCL and NCL. Each cruise line has some good things about it but we really love Carnival.

We have been talking about a back to back and while we were looking at Carnival prices, RCCL sent me an email about booking an inside and they upgrade you to an oceanview or booking the oceanview and they upgrade you to a balcony etc.

Well, when I looked at similar times and ports, the cost for Carnival was under $60 per person per day and the cost of RCCL was about $125 pp pd.

I just can't justify that right now either.

However, at some point I would love to sail on Royal's Oasis of the Seas and we may do NCL to Alaska. We may even do a Disney cruise some day. Again, different lines offer different things that we want to experience at some point.

OP- your friends have selected a brand new ship, her first sailing is December 2010. Maybe they want that "new ship smell."

I am a huge RCI fan, but I won't pay the new ship premium. Or, I should say I can't pay the new ship premium. I'm sure it will be a wonderful experience but I will wait until prices come down a little.

Have a great vacation.

As our funds are limited, we would rather maximize our vacation dollars. Hopefully at some point in our lives, we will have the option of choosing a new ship, or even a balcony! Right now, we go with a great location inside room, and use the difference in price to go on excursions and pay for our tab at the end of the cruise.

We booked a cruise recently on the Valor. Our friends, who book primarily with RCCL booked a cruise for the same week we are going except that they did so on a RCCL cruise. I looked to see what it would cost us to go on the Allure that same weekend, and for the cheapest inside room, it would cost us 1700 dollars more. I just cannot justify that sort of price differential. We love to cruise and take vacations, but we have to watch what we spend. Anyone had anything similar happen to them? They are our friends, but unless they want to pay the difference, we will just have to compare vacations when they are over.

We just had a similar experience. My best friends were going on their first cruise, but were sailing on Royal. Like you, and as much as I wanted to see their faces when they first boarded the ship, we couldn't justify spending the extra money for a comparable cabin. As it turned out, we did meet up with them on Grand Cayman. They had a great time on their cruise and we had a great time on our cruise. Maybe someday we'll get to cruise together.

I had several friends that had booked a cruise on RCI Radiance about a week before I sailed on Carnival Elation. At the time they were trying to get me to go on their cruise instead of the Elation, it would have cost me twice as much money so I stuck with CCL. When it got close to sailing time after final payment was made, RCI still honors price drops so that same cruise dropped in price to the same as the CCL cruise. CCL only offers price drops after final payment if you book early saver which I NEVER do. Just something to consider. However, $1700????? It won't come down that much I guarantee it. I would also stick with Carnival for that. I'm trying my first RCI cruise this May just to see what all the hooopla is about but so far from what I've been reading, it won't be any better than I usually get on Carnival. I'll report back on my experience end of May.

Why compare anything? Have fun and let them do the same.

Exactly! I'm sure they'll have a great time and the new ship is lovely, but there NO WAY I would pay that much. Give it a few years for prices to go down. My husband wants to try the larger RC ships; I'm indifferent, but rates like that aren't currently in our budget. (we'll be sailing on Dream in June.)

Archived