Why does Ocho Rios, Jamaica receive so many negative reviews????

vacationchic1

Curious..blond, blue eyed and not large? How did that figure into the equation?

So in her situation race doesn't matter....

They don't have the luxury of being a big white american like you who can afford a cruise.

But in mine it does.... :rolleyes:

And how do you know I'm white?

Anyway, it's none of your business if I don't want to pay asking price for their stuff.

Because your attitude reeks of it.

So in her situation race doesn't matter....

But in mine it does.... :rolleyes:

And how do you know I'm white?

Anyway, it's none of your business if I don't want to pay asking price for their stuff.

We were in Ocho Rios last Wednesday - I must admit I was a bit worried after reading a lot of the reviews about going there but I have to say it was a great day.

We booked a tour with Phil Lafayette and his daughter Tammy took us to Dunns River Falls, Fern Gully etc they weren't brilliant - I wouldn't book with anyone not recommended on CC by previous cruisers!

We felt no more unsafe than we have in other ports that we have visited - the port area where we got the tour bus was only open to tour operators and really well monitored.

We weren't offered any drugs or "frisked" on our way back to the ship as some people reported they had been - and if we had time there was a shopping area just outside the port which I would've been happy to walk back to for shopping!

I think it is true to say that different people obviously have different experiences and I guess if you have a bad one then you're very unlucky but ours was great and we wouldn't hesitate in going back.:D

I wasn't going to comment on this thread as I thought it had all been said, but Sunseeker, you said it all so well, thank you for that. I have been to Jamaica six times in six years on land vacations (for a total of 60 days), not as part of a cruise. Whenever I see the posts on this board, I think "What Jamaica are these people talking about?", it's so different from our experience there. We just got back last week, and it couldn't have been better.

When we went to Vancouver last year, our hotel concierge scribbled out the Lower East Side section of the city map and said "Under no circumstances should you enter this area." Based on that, do we tell people to not visit Vancouver, or better yet, don't visit CANADA? That's the kind of logic I see from a lot of posters on this board.

Anyone visiting Ocho Rios would do well to book a private excursion with one of the many reputable guides recommended on this board and get out to see the rest of the country.

Thanks Ottawa... and Gathina, for all your efforts. Some are just a lost cause though I'm afraid.

Ottawa, sadly though it isn't just the lower East side. It's all of downtown. Once I had to go downtown to the passport office. It's in an ok neighbourhood. and as I tried to dodge a homeless guy he purposely cut in front of me and wouldn't let me pass. Of course he begged for money. They all do, but he was scary and threatening and my heart was pounding. I vowed no more downtown alone for me. Another time I was with people, and one was a big, tall guy. We'd crossed the road and I was steps behind and some homeless chick grabbed my arn and was begging for money. I had to PUSH her off. Sorry... it's the big "white elephant in the room" in the middle of downtown Vancouver.

Anyway... point is, scary people everywhere, usually motivated by the need for money to feed their family (Jamaica), or to feed some disgusting drug habit (Vancouver... which btw is in part so bad because we have the mildest weather in the country, and because our government LETS them act the way they do... as I guess they also do in Jamacia)

Just wanted to add a couple of things for those who seem to think Jamaica is the only place where bad happens....

In Barbados (which is a place I love), someone pulled the "strap jewelery on you fast" trick.... I was nervous at first, but he was ok. Just looking to make a buck like everyone else, and we chatted it all became more social really. So I bought the necklace.

Mexico... don't even get me started about pushy vendors in Puerto Vallarta. That place takes the cake. I was there on a land vacation and it was non-stop everyday all day. They'd stand in your sun on the beach and harrass. But... I did make some good deals.

St. Kitts we we warned about the monkies thrust upon you and them insisting on money or calling the cops. I averted all the money guy's glances and taunts and walked quickly.

In St. Lucia we had a guy on a canoe try to sell my DH drugs as we swam beside our catamaran.

In San Juan our cabbie tries to rip us off and I was worried, as he was rather large.

Oh, and in Grand Cayman on a beach alone (but a few ohter people around) when we lived there, a guy came ourt of the bushes and was... coming onto me. I was just friendly to him, (and told him about my DH. lol) but I admit I was glad for the other people around.

Its everywhere....

I have been to Mo Bay twice. First time we booked thru Carnival and we ziplined and were driven almost to Ocho Rios. We he had no problems at all. I really enjoyed the ride and the scenery. Same day we also went to The White Witch's House and a couple of places shopping. No problem really. A few people with us did not like how pushy some of the people trying to sell you stuff, but hey they didn't bother me.

Second time we did Dunn River Falls thru a private tour company. Afterwards they took us to eat at an open air place and it was ok.

Both times were fine. Jamaica actually reminded me of Hawaii, but dirtier. You have to get passed the military presence, but then I see that in Mexico much more than in Jamaica. All in all the people there were just as nice as anywhere else I have been on a Carnival Cruise Ship.

The only place I don't ever want to go back to is Progresso. :(

When we were there in Jan 2009, we went on an excursion and then back to the ship for lunch. After lunch, wife and i walked to the shopping village ( a few blocks away ) We did NOT experience any problems at all. Living in Michigan, i feel more intimidated when going to Detroit...:rolleyes:

We just got back yesterday and it was our first time there and cruising, we used Marva Shaw's tour guide and I would highly recommend her service. She was exceptionally kind and made us feel very safe. They even went into the shops with us and stood close by, also my kids loved the falls!!

We were in Jamaica this past week. We really enjoyed our visit there. We went to Dunn's River Falls and then the Reggae Beach. Our guide was very nice as were the workers at the bar on the beach. That being said, we never felt truly safe there. The venders were quite pushy and the general feel of the island was bleek. The poverty there is terrible so you can understand the persistance of the locals to obtain money from the tourists, still, it is a bit unnerving. I would not want to venture around the island without utilizing a tour guide of some sort.

We have been to many caribbean islands and in our experience we felt the least at ease in Jamaica.

Ocho Rios is great!! I arranged a private tour with Peat taylor tours prior to my ship arriving. Peats driver Clifton was there on time to meet us and take us on a tour of the island. We first went to Dunns river in the morning when it was least crowded. He walked us in and set us up with a guide to climb the falls. He gave a pointers on how to handle the craft market after we left. He gave a time and place to meet him and he was waiting for us at the exit. The craft market waas interesting to say the least. Then we were free to tell Peat whever we wanted to go. It was great. We even wnet to a place were the locals eat. They are looked at us like what are they doing here!! But the food was awsome!! Curried goat and Fried chicken to die for!! Plus the fruit punch was like no other I've ever tasted. Plus the price was 43 USD for 7 people!! Peat even took us to a kindergarden school and we got to meet the children. That was really special. There were several stands on our trip and Peat said to say stop if we wanted too. We chose to drive on and see as much as we could. He dropped us at a secure location within the shops and recommended a spice and rum shop for the best deals. then we walked back to the ship which was interesting also. People looking to sell some wears but respectful when you said no thanks mon, or no problem mon.

Most of the people is jamacia are loving , kind people. They are just trying to make a living. Their living is tourism and it very competative!!

Most will bargan and practically give their stuff away.

I saw in one of the stores a wooden item and my mom said if you wanted to buy that you should of bought it from someone off the street cause they need it more that that store does. Jamacia is a great island that counts on us to tour so go and enjoy and be safe!!

Why did you feel so ill at ease there?? what made you feel unsafe there? I'd think Mexico would be worse?

We were in Jamaica this past week. We really enjoyed our visit there. We went to Dunn's River Falls and then the Reggae Beach. Our guide was very nice as were the workers at the bar on the beach. That being said, we never felt truly safe there. The venders were quite pushy and the general feel of the island was bleek. The poverty there is terrible so you can understand the persistance of the locals to obtain money from the tourists, still, it is a bit unnerving. I would not want to venture around the island without utilizing a tour guide of some sort.

We have been to many caribbean islands and in our experience we felt the least at ease in Jamaica.

Why did you feel so ill at ease there?? what made you feel unsafe there? I'd think Mexico would be worse?

I can't say exactly what made me so ill at ease. I think some of it had to do with the way the vendors approached us and tried to swindle (and yes, I do mean swindle) sales out of us. They were very persistant.

I have been to mexico 3 times and never felt unsafe there nor had bad run ins with those selling their wares.

The travel chanel did a segment on Jamaica that aired last night. It was very interesting and showed how Jamaica has come a long way but still has the reputation of being shady.

that happens in a lot of countries, especially poor ones. Nobody can swindle anything out of you unless you let them. Those people are no dummies, if they see you fumbling for words or hestiating or if you act nervous then they will swindle you more. I haven't been to Mexico before but in Brazil (where I am from) and Nicaragua when they see an American, they flock to them becasue they think you have money, period.

If you look at it objectively the Indians who run the stores in the tourist area are WORSE. I feel like I'm at Radio Shack at home when I encounter them in Jamaica :)

I can't say exactly what made me so ill at ease. I think some of it had to do with the way the vendors approached us and tried to swindle (and yes, I do mean swindle) sales out of us. They were very persistant.

I have been to mexico 3 times and never felt unsafe there nor had bad run ins with those selling their wares.

The travel chanel did a segment on Jamaica that aired last night. It was very interesting and showed how Jamaica has come a long way but still has the reputation of being shady.

Hi all! Our family is scheduled to take a cruise on the Carnival Liberty this year. One of the designated ports is Ocho Rios, Jamaica. We have been really excited and looking forward to going on this itinerary. It will be our very 1st cruise!!! ; ) HOWEVER after reading some of the posts on various threads I'm starting to think we should have chosen a different itinerary. : ( I've read so many different horror stories about Jamaica. . . . from drugs being planted on tourists. . . . . to feeling unsafe in the port. What gives? I'm sure there must be some good aspects about Jamaica. I know that Jamaica is a poor country and they rely heavily on tourism as their livelihood. Can someone reassure me that I will have a good time. I don't want to stay on the boat. . . . I want to go and explore and have fun in each port.

Because it's a horrible port. It is shady, seedy, low-rent, dangerous, and the only port I've ever been in the Caribbean which I will NEVER go back to. Jamaica is pretty much a pit in the first place, Ocho Rios is the pit of the pit. Many cruise lines are cutting down or simply stopping using Jamaica in their itineraries and for good reason. If you can't change your itinerary, either stay on the ship or go with a large group tour. DO NOT walk off the ship and just explore on your own.

We were just in Ocho Rios on the Navigator on 2-2-10. We have been here several times before. We have swam w/the dolphins, climbed the falls twice, done ziplining, and just walked around. First, we got off the ship, and walked to the shopping areas. Along the way, there were many Jamaican tour guides and taxi drivers that wanted our business. I just gave them a polite "no thankyou" and they left us alone. It was DH and me. After the shopping areas, we ventured to the downtown "craft market". The Jamaicans were very nice there. They all want your business. It is their livlihood. I walked through the area at least twice before I decided what I wanted to buy. Then, I went back to the vendors that had what I wanted and negotiated a price with them. We enjoyed our day. Then, we walked back to the shopping area right by the ship, and went to Margaritaville. We enjoyed our day in Jamaica. I never felt threatened in any way. We are always careful where we go, and are used to the islanders trying to sell us their stuff. They can be very pushy, as this is how they make their living. They all want your business.

As some others have stated, it can go on at many of the island ports. The poorer the island, the pushier the vendors. Tourism is over 70% of the islands income. They depend on us. I love the islands, all of them. I can't wait to go back.

I dunno about that..I felt safer in the the dead inner city of Chicago than I did when I was in Baltimore. I thought Baltimore was a shady, seedy, low-rent dangerous city.

I would never walk alone in Baltimore. I'm glad I don't have to travel there anymore. I can't imagine how you can stand living there.

Because it's a horrible port. It is shady, seedy, low-rent, dangerous, and the only port I've ever been in the Caribbean which I will NEVER go back to. Jamaica is pretty much a pit in the first place, Ocho Rios is the pit of the pit. Many cruise lines are cutting down or simply stopping using Jamaica in their itineraries and for good reason. If you can't change your itinerary, either stay on the ship or go with a large group tour. DO NOT walk off the ship and just explore on your own.

Just got back from our first cruise...Jamaica was the last port we visited. I have to say, it was definitely an experience! I know how message boards can be, so I took a lot of the griping to be exaggeration, however, my husband would definitely agree with the complaints.

We did a tour of Prospect Plantation, which was great, very informative, our guides were friendly and laid back, like the commercials :o. From there we went to Dunn's River Falls. My husband is tattooed, and he is used to people commenting on his artwork and talking to him, so he didn't think anything of it when the people at the craft market approached him.....he ended up getting talked out/intimidated out of some money before I noticed and intervened. We have not been out of the country before, so the aggressive selling techniques are a bit unnerving to those who are not used to it. It did ruin my dh's day and opinion of the entire country, which is a shame.

He also was approached numerous times to buy drugs...at the market about five times, and later on at the shopping plaza three times. I was left alone, probably because I look preppy and not like I would be buying. We ended up going back to the ship earlier than I planned, simply because he was so uncomfortable and did not like my suggestion that he go back and leave me to shop (as I was fine!).

If we ever did go back, I don't think I would stay on the ship, but would probably just go to Margaritaville or one of the all inclusives. Hubby would stay on the ship.

When we exited the port area we walked to the left after the information center down a long fenced in walkway alongside a beach area. We were bombarded with offers for tours and drugs. It made us feel uncomfortable. I was fine with stating no thank you and restating it again so they got the point. My boyfriend on the other hand doesnt like the hagglers and pandering and was really offset by the experience. We walked back to the ship and I convinced him to try it again and lets just book an excursion from the port info area..It was great.. Went to Mystic Mtn and such fun.. When the excursion was done they took us back to the port area inside a fenced area where the hagglers, etc arent allowed. Also asked the security if we can walk to the right and go outside the port gates to do some shopping and was told yes. We did that and while there were some offers.. not nearly as bad as when we walked to the left.

• 3 weeks later...
LOL Swap your word "travelers" for "tourist" and what you said might be correct. Travelers know how to go with the flow, politely say "no" and not be offended by people just trying to make a living.

Well said!!!! There is a huge difference between being a "tourist" and a "traveler". My DH and I hope to teach our dd (8) to be a traveler - respect a country, it's culture and it's people.

Can someone tell me if there's a safe way to get to the Island Village? We will be going there in 3 weeks. I would like to go to some of the shops close to the ship but I must admit I am very scared of the hagglers.

Archived