Why does Ocho Rios, Jamaica receive so many negative reviews????

vacationchic1

Can someone tell me if there's a safe way to get to the Island Village? We will be going there in 3 weeks. I would like to go to some of the shops close to the ship but I must admit I am very scared of the hagglers.

Take a red license plate taxi. They are allowed in the compound.

Can someone tell me if there's a safe way to get to the Island Village? We will be going there in 3 weeks. I would like to go to some of the shops close to the ship but I must admit I am very scared of the hagglers.

You can walk. It is about a 5 min walk from the ship. You have to go along a fence and there will be people outside the fence, but they won't attack you or anything. They will try to give you a ride some where. Once inside Island Village there won't be any of that. Or as Pete mentioned you can take a cab to the entrance from the pier. Will they even drive you that short distance?

These are some shots from ships of the pier and then Margaritaville within Island Village.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=151547&highlight=island+village+picture

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=178510&highlight=island+village+picture

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://image62.webshots.com/62/8/83/99/2756883990012477515rCqEzU_fs.jpg&imgrefurl=http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2756883990012477515rCqEzU&usg=__ZLxL7ZsdAazsTv6I6jz-yArDU9I=&h=960&w=1280&sz=190&hl=en&start=2&sig2=omLumFoHSFXcnTxOEJi2iA&itbs=1&tbnid=VFpFzjOjJS0GCM:&tbnh=113&tbnw=150&prev=/images%3Fq%3Docho%2Brios%2Bpier%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26gbv%3D2%26tbs%3Disch:1&ei=oIWnS57jLouOjAeglKSSAQ

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://image16.webshots.com/17/3/39/68/190833968NASyJq_fs.jpg&imgrefurl=http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1190833968059242420NASyJq&usg=__ew3v4jQ46GE5V5QKCZU92gy8f4A=&h=1536&w=1024&sz=272&hl=en&start=18&sig2=xbpo_vq6FHoY5V59pfKGgQ&itbs=1&tbnid=F8ZxkcchN-OXhM:&tbnh=150&tbnw=100&prev=/images%3Fq%3Docho%2Brios%2Bpier%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26gbv%3D2%26tbs%3Disch:1&ei=oIWnS57jLouOjAeglKSSAQ

Just came back from Ocho Rios. Because our weather.com told us it would rain there, we did not book any tour and planned to stay on the ship.

But the weather was fine. So we decided to walk around in "downtown" area. Yes, right after we walked off the ship, there were many people trying to sell us tours, not drugs. The price was incredible low and we were surprised that our tour guy did not recruit more people to fill his van. He just took 4 of us (2 adults and 2 children) and we were on the road. It was like we had a private tour at group price :cool:. (Now, when we think about it, it might not be a good idea.)

There were 2 or 3, say, uncomfortable moments when some locals tried very hard to sell us something. And one time, the tour guy stopped in middle of nowhere. And a dirty looking local guy holding a knife suddenly appeared to show us the "real Jamaican":eek:. Wife and kids were a little scared. But he just showed us some spices and herbs. We were asked to give him some "donation" :confused:.

Per our request, our tour guy dropped us in the market area, and we walked back to the ship. Considering the hours he spent on us and the distance we traveled, we gave him extra tip. Overall, we had a good time (and some sun burns because we were not prepared for that tour). :)

In one of the shopping plaza, wife and daughter went to shopping, me and 9-year-old son were standing there waiting. A local guy approached and asked us try something in his hand:eek:. Certainly I hesitated. He laughed and said: "Don't be afraid. This is Jamaica." (yeah right)

It turned out it was the peanut (with shell) he roasted. :D

In one of the shopping plaza, wife and daughter went to shopping, me and 9-year-old son were standing there waiting. A local guy approached and asked us try something in his hand:eek:. Certainly I hesitated. He laughed and said: "Don't be afraid. This is Jamaica." :D

That's exactly why I WOULD be afraid. :rolleyes:

Cool it with the Detroit comments!!!!!!

Jamaica is a beautiful!!!!! yes the hagglers get on your nerves but tell them No thank you! and by the way Detroit is not that bad you just dont know how to relate!

Contact Marva Shaw at knowjamaica she will take great care of you.

Thank you, as long as there is a fence between us and them, I will make the walk to visit the area.

The fence won't be between you and "them" until you get to the entrance and into the Island Village complex. You need to walk up to that entrance. A no thank you mon will allow you to get to your destination and you will be fine.

The last time I was in Ocho Rios was probably 10 years ago, so I'm sure things haven't gotten any better. I recall walking through the port gates and being hassled right away by vendors or taxi drivers...not a big deal though, say your "no thank yous" and continue walking, they don't really press, as there are more people coming behind you. It is a pretty poor country, you'll see people bathing in creeks, while others are obtaining drinking water from the same creek, pretty disturbing. I absolutely loved Jamaica though, the land is so beautiful, the locals that you meet on tours are really fun. I'm from Chicago, so all of the hasseling and poverty, or being asked to buy drugs, isn't really something out of the ordinary for me. Take it for what it's worth, enjoy your time there...make sure to buy a bottle of Appleton Rum...it's delicious!

We have been to Ocho Rios 3 times. You will experience "peddlers" trying to sell you their goods and some will be more a pain than others. This is a part of their culture that sometimes we are not experienced in. The Country is very poor and the people just see the tourists as a way to get some money...it can be discouraging! but then you get to the beauty of the island and you realize that some haggling is certainly worth the effort to enjoy their island. There are many more Jamaicans that show respect and love the honor of showing their island to you than there are peddlers, so if you can get past the port area and on into the island you will be more relaxed. I would advise to either hire a private tour (which is much cheaper than the cruise lines and much more personal) and your guide will keep the peddlers to a minimum. If you go in a group you will experience much less of the peddlers due to the fact that they have more people to harrass. It is best to keep in mind that these people live on little of nothing and the opportunity to gain some monies from the tourists is their culture and way of life, and do not take it personally. If you are going it alone stick close to the cruise ship areas but you will incur much more peddling in the port areas than going into the island. The beauty and respect and culture of the island is much different than we Americans are use too, but that is the beauty of traveling to different Countries to experience their cultures not ours. Dont wear any expensive jewerly or clothes and you will not look like you have alot of money which will reduce your risks. I love the Jamacian people and I always let them know how honored I am that they welcome me to their island and as long as I let them know respect that is generally what I get in return....go and have fun and dont worry! just plan a good safe plan and your trip will be awesome!

We just returned from the Liberty cruise to the Western Carribean. Ocho Rios was the highlight for us. We went to Mystic Mountain and took the bob sled ride. It was great. We had to wait about20 minutes for the bus that took us there, but there was no line at the mountain itself, the chair lift ride was wonderful with some great views, and the bob sled ride was a nilce experience. We didn't use the [pool but it looked good with a smallish water slide. On the way back, the bus dropped us off, we went shopping in the store that the driver recommended and we bought some sangster;s rum cream and some blue mountain coffee for very reasonable prices. All the people we met were extemely friendly and I wasn't once approached to buy drugs. As I said it was a great day.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow.

I have done two mission trips to Jamaica in the past two years - both times, staying in the sleepy (but not for long!) village of Falmouth. There, I worked in a medical clinic assisting the locals.

During our "down" time, we would visit both Montego Bay and Ochos Rios. At no time, did I ever feel unsafe...I loved the Jamaican people and wouldn't hesitate to go back again.

I have a blog - and some of the blog is devoted to my Jamaican adventures. You can visit this: http://couponsherri.blogspot.com/search/label/Jamaica, and see where I've posted photos and stories of some of the things we experienced while in Jamaica - including Dunn's River Falls, the new port in Falmouth, the food, the culture, and the amazing people.

I love Jamaica...and I'm just a mom who lives in the midwest. Nothing special. No tough guy. :o

Jamaica is BEAUTIFUL - one of the most scenic Carribean destinations I have been to, and I think I am well over a dozen. It is just extremely poor with lots of crime.

I agree with other posters - book through the cruiseline. Perhaps an AI beach? I think Dunn River Falls is over-rated as it gets so crowded.

We had fun doing Dunn River Falls....but when its crowded boy do you get some butts in your face...or your butt is right near someones face..then you have the folks who never should have tried to climb the falls...did make for some great laughs..I didnt feel overly comfy there , constant trying to braid hair, selling drugs...ect..I really dont care to go there again, even though it really is beautiful on the beaches. We even got to see the car wash...which was a big big puddle of water where they were selling car washes!

• 2 weeks later...

Returned a week ago from the Freedom. There seems to be a problem with ship time and island time. We were told (by email) to meet on the dock for 9:00 and the tour would leave at 9:15. Once on the dock we told staff that we had booked with Marva Shaw. They told us to wait in a certain spot, a few minutes later another family came for the same tour. We were told that no one from Marva Shaw was there yet. There was a lot of going on with all the tours trying to get going. We asked a couple of times because we were waiting so long. After about ½ hour we were told to wait in another spot. Again we waited while other tours left. Finally after about 45 minutes Marie came to take us to Dunn’s River Falls. She said she sometimes works for Marva and that we had waited long enough. The bus was nice and clean and air conditioned. Once at the falls Maria told us that someone else would probably be at the van when we came out to finish our excursion. The falls were a great time. Not as easy as I remember 20 years ago and 30lb. lighter. It is a hard climb. I think holding hands makes it more difficult to climb. We went right up the middle at times.

After the climb we did go through the market place instead of going out the entrance. Not a big problem we just kept saying no thank you and moving along. Once back at the van Jarvis was there to finish our day. He is a great guy, very informative. He took us to Carl the Spice man. That was different and fun. Carl showed us the different spices and fruits on the island and had us taste some of the fruits. Jarvis also took us to a spot high on a hill for picture taking of the town and our ship. It was a great spot. Again people selling things but never too pushy and a no thank you always worked. We did buy a handmade bird feeder from one person. Than off to river tubing. This was a blast. Our guide was singing the whole way and there is a platform that you can jump off into the water half way down the river. After that Jarvis dropped us off at a jerk chicken outside restaurant for lunch and took the other family back to the ship . We had a very nice lunch and Jarvis came back and sat with us and told us more about himself and the island. Jarvis than took us to do a little shipping before we headed back to the ship. We had wanted to go to Raggee beach but with the lost time at the beginning of the day and the stop for lunch we decided earlier that we would rather do lunch and skip the beach. We really enjoyed our day and did not feel uncomfortable at all. Everyone was very nice and never felt unsafe. We were never offered drugs or anything unappropriate. Note: Make sure you bring a few dollars for tipping at the falls and river tubing. Also there was an issue that the other family thought that Marva would take credit cards. They do not, cash. Again even with the late start I would use Marva Shaw again and confirm through email closer to sailing date.

Javis you are the best, we had a great time:D

"No problems, just situations"

• 3 weeks later...

Came back from cruise last week.

Definitely, last time I'm going there. The problem: dishonest people.

1) Booked a tour with Orville Taylor: $60 for the day, to Dunn's River Falls, Fern Gully, and Cayoba Gardens.Mahoe Falls. His email said "$60 for the day, fees included are: Dunn's River Falls $15, Cayoba Gardens $10..." But once in the car, his driver was not aware the entrance fees were included, called Taylor...he insisted that I "misunderstood" but his email stated in black and white " fees included are..." Driver says it's not his fault, because he's NOT associated with Orville Taylor, just doing him a "favour"????? Fishy, fishy.........

2) While waiting inside the fence at the docks, waiting for Orville Taylor (waited 1 hr), the groundkeeper started talking to me. I said I'm waiting for orville Taylor; he said he'll help me..then he talked to some guys outside the fended dock compound, and he said Orville Taylor is outside the gate, and tells me to go outside. But, the tour director in the compound says no, if he is there, he has to come in the compound to pick up because they have to check that he's legitimate. Apparently, the groundkeeper was lying, because I still had to wait another 1/2 hr before the "real" guy shows up.

3) In the afternoon, we decided to walk to downtown, looking for "mama's restaurant" and an internet cafe on the 2nd floor. Stopped at the Soni mall, asked a taxi driver where it is, he said "Oh , I can take you there" I said how far is it, he said "very far, about 20 minutes walk".

Turned out, it was just across the street, 3 minute walk!!!

Doesn't give me a good impression of the place.

It's pretty amazing reading these posts as I sense 2 different places. I've been there 4 times and have thoroughly enjoyed them all. I could do without the gauntlet after Dunn's River Falls however. These people in Ocho Rios are extremely nice and care deeply about their children. Let's not kid ourselves,drugs are everywhere.So don't make a fuss about someone in a sewer, I've been to New York,Baltimore,Philly,etc. We are heading back in August and can't wait. If you don't want to get of the ship ,then don't.

We've been to Jamaica once and took a RCI excursion out of Mo Bay to Negril. It was a small van excursion, maybe 12 people (3-4 families). The ride was long - about 90 minutes. We went fast on small roads through a lot of small towns (villages, really). The people seem poor, I felt bad. But never did anyone make us feel uncomfortable. Our driver was great. The hostess who accompanied us was informative. When we got to the resort, each family had there own thatched umbrella with picnic table right on the beach. A cabana boy took care of us. We tipped him well, and he was very attentive. Folks walked down the beach offering all manners of things for sale. My husband and I agreed early on to say a firm No thanks, and to "mean it". They accepted it, and never bothered us again.

We had a wonderful day. The most beautiful beach, jade green water, and a terrific authentic jerk chicken lunch spread. Other than the long drive, it was a perfect excursion. -- I'd do it again in a heart beat. Loved it.

We went ziplining then walked around one of the markets and downtown, got hassled a bit but it wasn't scary.

Detroit is scary, Jamaica's just got pushy locals that will try to sell you stuff.

Have you actually been to Detroit? How about New York, Chicago, any other big city? If you go to the wrong place, it's scary, but why pick on Detroit? I would rather spend a week in Detroit than an hour in Ocho Rios. This is based on experience with both cities.

• 2 weeks later...

The reason there are so many negative reviews among cruise passengers for Jamaica is largely because of the Ocho Rios craft market. Nothing prepares you for it. We stayed at Couples Ocho Rios (now Tower Isle) for our honeymoon in 1986, went to the craft market, and I stood in the middle of it weeping, because I couldn't handle the relentless "Come in, no charge to look -- by about 150 people. That said, we went on to visit Jamaica 18 more times, and loved it each and every time. You really have to go there and stay; stay at the hotels, get to know the staff. The Jamaica Tourist Board also has a "Meet the people" program where you can spend the day with a local family.

Your best bet is to hire a driver. Not sure if we're allowed to do recommendations on this board, but there is a guy who operates out of Club Ambiance in Runaway Bay (we've stayed there 3 times and loved it) who my sister used on her last cruise. She said it was great.

The reason there are so many negative reviews among cruise passengers for Jamaica is largely because of the Ocho Rios craft market. Nothing prepares you for it. We stayed at Couples Ocho Rios (now Tower Isle) for our honeymoon in 1986, went to the craft market, and I stood in the middle of it weeping, because I couldn't handle the relentless "Come in, no charge to look -- by about 150 people.

You are probably right, but I simply do not understand. I have no problem saying a firm (but polite and not condescending) "no thank you" without stopping to look. For me, it is no different than saying the same to the persistent lady at the perfume counter in a department store or a clerk at a mall kiosk. I think, for many cruiseship passengers, the problem is that they are worried that they may be perceived as rude or that they feel obligated to buy because they perceive the vendors to be poor (possibly they have guilt that they "have substantially more material wealth" than those they meet in the marketplace). I don't know, I only surmise. But, salespeople know that when someone is timid, there is a chance they can make a sale; so they are relentless. I have been to many, many marketplaces on different islands over the last 11 years, and a firm but respectful "no thanks"(while not breaking stride) works every time. In being firm, I respect the vendors, and I believe they respect me for not wasting their time, as I do not intend to buy except from those that are peddling what I am looking for.

The reason there are so many negative reviews among cruise passengers for Jamaica is largely because of the Ocho Rios craft market. Nothing prepares you for it. We stayed at Couples Ocho Rios (now Tower Isle) for our honeymoon in 1986, went to the craft market, and I stood in the middle of it weeping, because I couldn't handle the relentless "Come in, no charge to look -- by about 150 people. That said, we went on to visit Jamaica 18 more times, and loved it each and every time. You really have to go there and stay; stay at the hotels, get to know the staff. The Jamaica Tourist Board also has a "Meet the people" program where you can spend the day with a local family.

Your best bet is to hire a driver. Not sure if we're allowed to do recommendations on this board, but there is a guy who operates out of Club Ambiance in Runaway Bay (we've stayed there 3 times and loved it) who my sister used on her last cruise. She said it was great.

We love Couples Ocho Rios. We also love Jamaica. I agree with you have said about people not being prepared. It is fine if you know what to expect.

Archived