Why does Ocho Rios, Jamaica receive so many negative reviews????

vacationchic1

We were there in 2008 and almost did not get off the ship because we had been there so many times and did not want to have to book an excursion.

Well, of all things, I needed a magnet for our fridge from there...so we dared to get off the ship and walk out of the port.

I was SHOCKED!! Yes, one person POLITELY asked us if we wanted a taxi and when we said no...they said "have a nice day" and moved on....

then one person POLITELY asked if I wanted my hair braided and when we said no....they said "have a nice day" and moved on....

Now this is a far cry from what had happened the last time we were there...

(literally being physically pulled into a store by a shopkeeper)

We walked all the way to the Island Village (good sidewalks all the way) and no one bugged us. Vendors are not allowed inside the Village (where Margaritaville is) and we had a wonderful time.

We walked back to the ship (again without one person hassling us)....

such a difference.

The Manager of a high end jewerly store told us that the local gov't had really cracked down to make tourists feel more welcome.

Please understand that this is Ocho Rios only. I understand that Montego Bay is still the same ole pit hole it has always been.

But I was pleasantly surprized by Ocho Rios.

When we were there in Jan 2009, we went on an excursion and then back to the ship for lunch. After lunch, wife and i walked to the shopping village ( a few blocks away ) We did NOT experience any problems at all. Living in Michigan, i feel more intimidated when going to Detroit...:rolleyes:

I've been to Detroit, too. Not proud of it, just sayin'.. Not as scary as Ocho Rios..

On our first trip to Jamaica we went to Ocho Rios and just got a cab with 2 others, our driver took us to fern gully and we stopped at a few road side stands, took a look at the falls and did some shopping. Loved it!

Second time was at Mo Bay for zip line, no time for any thing else but enjoyed it.

Third time was Ocho Rios and shopping in the "tent" city, they can be a bit pushy but they are just trying to make a living.

Fourth time we took supplies to some of the schools and then walked around downtown, yes we were asked to come see what they had for sale but mostly we just said no thanks.

I would suggest Dunn river falls for you with children, you will not see the real Jamaica but you will have a good time.

I don't think any of us sees the real Jamaica just by visiting for a few hours. I would love to go back for a week, I think the majority of the people are very friendly and proud of their country!

Go to the ports of call board and look at Jamaica, many reputable companies for the falls, you don't have to worry about not taking a ships excursions, they will get you back in plenty of time.

When hubby and I went there we did do Dunns River Falls.. It was beautiful!!! But.. At the end all the vendors that are all over you and a few people did get pickpocketed.. I was really scared.. I am glad I did that but if we are ever on a cruise that lands there I will stay on the ship...Lynne

I was there last Feb on the Liberty. I booked a tour and outing to Dunn River Falls. I found a tour operator by searching tripadvisor.com and looking for the top rated ones in Ocho Rios. Our tour guide Phil Lafayette was great and would recommend him to anyone.

The only negative thing about Jamaica I would say is that it's kinda creepy. It's a beautiful place don't get me wrong, but at many of the locations we stopped at, everyone was trying to sell us something and they were very annoying. I don't mean just vendors, I mean even locals walking down the street. You barely have time to relax when you're spending your time dodging people trying to sell you things (including weed).

We went to this area of shops near the port. Half of the crap I could buy the identical product at home for a fraction of the price. They have the exact same jamaican jerk sauce in my home city for a quarter the price, and it's "imported" from jamaica. When going from shop to shop people were bugging us trying to sell us this or that.

I also read reviews about people saying the police were rude or bad. I found them to be polite and courteous.

Overall, it's an OK port. But your overall experience will greatly depend on how you feel about pushy people trying to sell you stuff you don't want. Most people seem fine with it though.

we just got off the Freedom 2 weeks ago and got to spend a gorgeous, relaxing day in Ocho Rios...we booked the Bamboo Beach CLub excursion and i'd do it again in a minute. they take you to the most amazing beach i have ever seen, food and drinks all included along with entertainment and it was just such a great day...we did a little shopping in the village afterwards, and like everyone has said, we did get harassed a little bit by locals trying to sell us taxi rides, braids, pot etc....but i never felt unsafe....i love jamaica <3

My sister and I did the river tubing and we had a great time. It was one of the best excursions I've done. Just don't roam around the area, stay with your group or in the shopping area and you will be fine. They had a ton of shops with great deals on all sorts of things.

When hubby and I went there we did do Dunns River Falls.. It was beautiful!!! But.. At the end all the vendors that are all over you and a few people did get pickpocketed.. I was really scared.. I am glad I did that but if we are ever on a cruise that lands there I will stay on the ship...Lynne

I'm sorry to hear about the pickpocketing, but I must say, I've been to Jamaica several times and I've never had vendors invade my personal space. They are persistent, but have always been respectful and at least arms-length away. If I'm not interested in what they're selling, I politely say, "no Thank you" and keep on walking. Occassionally, a vendor has continued their sales pitch despite my "no thank you". When that happens, I just keep on walking and do not look back. I know that they are just giving their last-ditch effort. They have already heard my "no thank you" and do not perceive me as being rude. The key to "surviving" the vendors (and being left alone) is to be firm, but polite, do not relent, do not be apologetic, and do not give off vibes that you fear that you may have been perceived as rude. This has always worked for me. I have always enjoyed my trips to Jamaica.

When we're on vacation we shouldn't have to feel like we're walking on eggshells. It sounds as if these pesty locals make travelers do just that. It's sure not a place I'm interested in seeing.

Yeah how dare they!

We also had a stop in Ochos, a little over a week ago, 1st time for all 7 of us. 4 of us booked with Marva Shaw to do Dunns Falls, Very nice and she was very organized. Plus our bus and guide stayed the 2 hours it took to climb and shop dunns falls. The other couple did not care for the vendors, having dealt with people trying to sell their wares at Tijuana, I knew what to expect and was not intimidated by them. The other DH did not like them touching him to get him to come into his shop. I just told them to say no thank you. The other DW did not have the heart to bicker with them. Just be firm and nice.

The other 3 , 2 adults and 1 6 year old, walked into town and her husband did not want to, but did, and they had no trouble at all.

Go and enjoy Jamaica mon!

I have always said that I have never been to a Caribbean island that I didnt like ( some I like more than others), and last October was my first visit to Jamaica. It is a very scenic island, at least what little I saw of it was. Im glad I saw it. We did a tour through Carnival and it was fine. This being said, if Ocho Rios was to be on a future itinerary, I might just possibly consider staying on board. Glad I saw it once, but it just didnt "do anything" for me. By all means go once, and book a tour through either a reputable tour group, ( lots of folks here on CC can recommend ), or book one through Carnival. It surely is worth seeing for yourself, just practice good sense.:)

I've only been there once, that's all it took..
I agree. DW and I were surrounded by a gang of locals, pulling on our arms, trying to sell us drugs, etc. It was quite scary and this was in broad daylight only blocks from our ship.:eek: I will never go back even if they paid me to.

Jamaica is a port with a lot of pushy vendors and taxi drivers...however it is beautiful. We did ziplining there, had a couple great meals and an overall nice day. The vendors are pushy but a simple no and keep walking has always worked fine for us. Many have said if they go back they will just stay on the ship and have recommended that others do the same...I really think you'd be missing out by staying on board, especially if its your first time

Jamaica is a great port.. been to Mo Bay and Ocho Rios... you have to go and enjoy.. not go and pick it apart.. NO works with the vendors.. I hate to hear how people put down Jamaica...I spent a week there in my early years before cruising and loved it.. locals are great people if you don't treat them like trash....

Jamaica is a great port.. been to Mo Bay and Ocho Rios... you have to go and enjoy.. not go and pick it apart.. NO works with the vendors.. I hate to hear how people put down Jamaica...I spent a week there in my early years before cruising and loved it.. locals are great people if you don't treat them like trash....

That was my point. It's like "how dare those living in abject poverty interfere with my cruise enjoyment". :rolleyes:

Just back yesterday from Carnival Freedom with a stop in Ocho Rios, Jamaica on Thursday AND IT WAS A GREAT DAY IN PARADISE. It was our favorite port on our itinerary. We booked the Dunns River Falls Tour, with tubing, lunch and shopping with Phil Lafayette Tours - $55.00 person. www.phil-lafayette-tours.com

Phil's daughter, Tammy, met us at the port. She is absolutely amazing; has such love and pride for her country and is very, very knowledgeable. She made our tour so much fun. I highly recommend Jamaica and Phil Lafayette Tours. I would return to Jamaica and book another excursion with Phil and/or Tammy.

Enjoy - wish I was on the Freedom now - but back to reality!

spent 2 weeks in at an AI in Montego Bay in 1997. Every other day we did an excursion. The country is beautiful - the people are wonderful. If you decide to go, don't try it on your own. Book an excursion and see the island. That being said - I felt very uncomfortable and scared when we weren't with our tour person. ie shopping, beach etc... We typically go East on our cruises. If I ever book a cruise that includes Jamaica - I would stay on the ship. I live 20 miles north of Detroit - am down there all the time. Guess what - Detroit doesn't scare me - Jamaica does.

When we're on vacation we shouldn't have to feel like we're walking on eggshells. It sounds as if these pesty locals make travelers do just that. It's sure not a place I'm interested in seeing.

LOL Swap your word "travelers" for "tourist" and what you said might be correct. Travelers know how to go with the flow, politely say "no" and not be offended by people just trying to make a living.

Archived