Cozumel or bermuda-first time cruiser??

lphipps1980

Bermuda is a beautiful island while Cozumel is a fairly dismal mass-production tourist trap. If you want warm water swimming, Cozumel is better because the waters around Bermuda are still pretty chilly in May. The Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean are likely to be calmer than the Atlantic if you are concerned -- but aside from those two considerations, Bermuda wins hands down.

Of course, you should also consider what the ship has to offer: HAL and Celebrity (to Bermuda) are more calm, while Carnival has party ships andRoyal Caribbean more activities. The ship/line can be more important than the destination.

Bermuda was our 1st cruise in June '08. We were in our late 30s. Bermuda is beautiful & has great beaches. Cozumel is not a very pretty place, IMHO. But Bermuda is not a party destination whereas Coz is. So it depends on what you're looking for in a destination & in a aship experience.

If it were me I would choose Bermuda.

There is a lot more to do in Cozumel.

Some of the best SCUBA diving in the world.

Good snorkeling.

Mayan ruins.

Eco-Parks (Xcaret, etc.)

Nice beaches (especially if you take a scooter or taxi to some of the secluded beaches).

This is true but...

There is a lot more to do in Cozumel.

Some of the best SCUBA diving in the world.

Good snorkeling.

Mayan ruins. These ruins are very small in comparison to the ruins over in Mexico, Belize, etc. There is no large pyramid.

Eco-Parks (Xcaret, etc.) The eco-park is over on mainland Mexico, not on Coz. You'd need a lot of port time in order to get over to Xcaret & then you'd not see any of Coz onyway.

Nice beaches (especially if you take a scooter or taxi to some of the secluded beaches). The beaches in Bermuda are much nicer.

We have been to both.

We did a Bermuda cruise once the second week of May -- the weather was horrible -- rained nearly every day.

Cozumel -- that would be only 1 port -- you will have others on a Western Caribbean cruise.

I would choose the western Caribbean cruise over the Bermuda cruise only because you have more ports to see.

If you go with the ship's excursions, you'll have plenty of time to see Xcaret.

The ruins at Tulum are still very scenic (thought I think Xcaret is the best excursion on the mainland....there is so much to do there).

If you want to do everything there is in the area, then Bermuda is probably better. If you want the widest choices of activities to do in the area, then Mexico is better.

You don't mention what port you will be sailing out of or what ships you are considering. I have done 24 cruises, 2 to Bermuda and many to the Caribbean. I love Bermuda, it is a beautiful island but if I had sailed there on my first cruise I think it would have been my last. The two times I sailed to Bermuda the water was very rough. I am a seasoned cruiser and I don't get seasick but I personally would not suggest a Bermuda cruise for anyone's first sailing. The water in the Atlantic tends to be much rougher than the Caribbean. This is only my opinion and my experience. Others may feel differently.

Archived