Hotel Alimandi Vaticano

Kathy130

I didn't stay here, but another couple from our CC group did. They loved it, said it was a really great hotel and of course close to the Vatican. Everything they hoped it would be. They were an older couple with mobility issues, similar to my friend and I.

We were close to the Vatican too, but I chose Domus Aurelia for budget reasons. We really liked our hotel too. I booked a triple (to ensure we had twin beds, not a double with one bed). And the price of 95 EUR was outstanding compared to other Rome hotels.

I wasn't prepared for the sticker shock of hotels in Rome and Venice. I had never paid over $200 (New York City) for a hotel. When I started looking and seeing $300-500 for a night in a hotel, it almost caused us to cancel the cruise. I complained on this site, and was pleasantly surprised when a poster gave me the lead to hotels run by nuns/church. You don't have to be Catholic to stay (although they did have a chapel on the top floor). They had an elevator, free internet in the lobby, a small bar area for continental breakfast, and our room had a balcony where I could sit to smoke. This is there website, just for info.

http://www.domusaurelia.com/

Has anyone ever stayed here.....thoughts? problems/ positives, negatives...any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!!

We stayed there in 2007. It is directly across the street from the entrance to the Vatican Museum, as well as being close to transportation to other sights.

The hotel is delightful with a nice rooftop garden for your evening glass of wine. The breakfast is awesome! We weren't hungry for the rest of the day. The rooms are very clean and we found the service to be very good. They have an airport shuttle (Ithink it was free, but if not, it was very reasonable). It begins at about 7AM in the morning.

There is another Alamandi hotel a couple of blocks away. Make sure you get "Vaticano", as it is nicer and closer to the Vatican.

If/when I go back to Rome, I will stay there again.

I went by this hotel many times last May as I rented an apartment on Via Mocenigo nearby. It is across from the main entrance to the Vatican Museums. It looked lovely with a number of resturants nearby and a very good supermarket one block away. In that neighborhood I found two Internet cafes nearby and a laundry facility right across from the Mercato Triunfale, a huge vegetable market close by. Let me know if you need details for any of these. You should be able walk to along the walls to get to St. Peter's Square very easy. Another hotel close by is Hotel Spring House. By the way, the apartment I rented had three bedrooms, one bathroom and the owner was wonderful to work with. It was 100 Euros/night. You can use the Cipro Metro, but probably Ottaviano metro is better for your location. I took a taxi often to Trastevere (5 Euros), the neighborhood with the BEST food in Rome.

Olivares....more info. please..........trying to make a good decision here....four of us..........first time in Rome.......ship didn't make it in last year on our med. cruise, so we are determined this year not to miss this incredible city. Planning on 6 days.....with jet lag involved too....then on to another city...not sure........

If you went again...would you stay at the apratment....or look into THIS hotel....I've staued in an apartment in Paris, but didn't really want to get involved with the cooking part........... BUT...is this hotel....really GREAT!!! 4 star......... but decent amt. of euros........any great restaurant very close by??? LOVE CC...appreciate your help.....

Kathy-- the apartment I stayed in is portrayed at http://www.vrbo.com/175368#features I posted a review upon return which you should be able to read as well. The site says two bedrooms, the living room is a separate room with its own access door, so that when you open up the sofa bed (huge) it becomes a whole new bedroom with its own door and everything. I loved this apartment. One of the few merchants that actually downplays his property!

Somebody posted earlier about Rome hotels. The truth is that most Rome hotels are outrageously expensive and/or of poor quality. You find the hidden gems, but why so few and far between to begin with....?:confused: When I say outrageous I mean that it is a shame what you get for what you have to pay....That is why apartments and convents stays are so popular in Rome. I have done hotels, convent stays, and apartments and I would stay at an apartment in Rome. The caveat is that most require a minimum of 3 days. Kathy, if you plan to be in Rome for 6 days and there are 3 people in your party, then an apartment should be no brainer for you! I am sure each of you will be paying in excess of $150/pp per night when you could be paying that TOTAL night FOR A WHOLE APARTMENT!

Looking for the apartment could be overwhelming. FIRST, establish a budget per night (150 Euros per night should be a reasonable goal for a summer stay). Then, decide on area. Obviously, apartments near Piazza Navona/Pantheon are more expensive. My recommendation?: Campo de Fiore, certain streets near the Colosseo, and streets close to Piazza St. Pedro/Vatican Museums. Venues: I love Vrbo.com, holiday-rentals.com, and sleepinitaly.com.

I have bookmarked vrbo number 20263 and apartment number 138591. You are welcome to check them out. I have not a clue whose apartments these are, they also looked good to me when I was loking for an apt in Rome last May.

Happy planning!!

The truth is that most Rome hotels are outrageously expensive and/or of poor quality. You find the hidden gems' date=' but why so few and far between to begin with....?:confused: When I say outrageous I mean that it is a shame what you get for what you have to pay.[/size']
While I agree that Rome can be an expensive place to visit, I think this is a bit of an overstatement. There are many lovely hotels and not all cost a fortune. However, this is the capital of the country and a major tourism destination, so the prices reflect the demand, just as they do in New York City, San Francisco, Washington DC, etc.

Apartment stays are a wonderful alternative for those who enjoy traveling this way. For those who prefer hotels, there are lots of good alternatives.

Euro cruiser....

Loving this hotel, but a girlfriend who has stayed in Rome, at a friend's place...said that it's too far out of the way....Del Senato.......good but double beds.....Have you had a favorite or two? I know this question gets asked over and over, but please shar two favorites of yours. Thanks.

Euro cruiser....

Loving this hotel, but a girlfriend who has stayed in Rome, at a friend's place...said that it's too far out of the way....Del Senato.......good but double beds.....Have you had a favorite or two? I know this question gets asked over and over, but please shar two favorites of yours. Thanks.

I'm not eurocruiser, but since you asked for additional feedback, I would agree that this hotel is not centrally located unless the Vatican is the main focus of your sightseeing.

Look for a hotel in the central historic area. I do highly recommend the Albergo del Senato. I'm not sure that they only have double beds (?) -- you can email them to find out for sure. What size bed are you looking for? I know they have twin-bedded rooms.

Smack in the center I've only stayed at the del Senato and the Santa Chiara. In Trastevere I've stayed at Santa Francesca Romana and the Ripa, near the train station at the Quirinale and north of the city at the Beverly Hills. They were all fine, but the del Senato and Santa Chiara are best in terms of location. (Other places that I've stayed but wouldn't recommend I haven't bothered to list.)

The Santa Francesa is a good balance of convent-like pricing but hotel-like services (no curfew, in room color TV and air conditioning), yet still close in.

The Quirinale is close to the train station, but not right at it. The Beverly Hills is just too far north to be useful (I stayed here on a package deal with a price that just couldn't be beat, so I used some of the savings for taxis up and back each day).

I have rented apartments in Trastevere, near Piazza Navona, and in Prati. For an apartment stay, I much prefer Trastevere, but that may be because it's the first place I stayed in Rome, and where I fell in love with the city.

Well, on this one, I have to digress with previous posters. I would NEVER recommend anybody looking for a hotel in Rome a venue that charges close to 250-300 Euros/night for a double room where I know ahead of time that the bed size could be/will be an issue :eek:. The fact that is close to the Piazza Navona/Pantheon, while a good selling feature, does not really adds up to the value charged.

If you HAVE to stay in a hotel, I stayed at the Genio (which I do not recommend and provide you name so that in case you stumble across it you take that into consideration), the Forte (close to the Spanish Steps; LOVED the location and the staf was marvelous, more of a budget hotel), and the Hotel Nationale (on Piazza Monte Citorio; wonderful location; great rooms; quiet because it is on a pedestrianized area).

While I agree that the Alimandi is mostly convenient to the Vatican sightseeing, the walk to the Piazza Navona will be about 20 minutes (loved the walk!, but indeed something to consider). I still recommend an apartment and think it is the best way to go for you. Check out slowtrav.com for first-hand accounts of apartment recommendations in Rome. Hope this all helps. By the way, looking for lodging in Rome can be quite a project, so just set boundaries, list options, prioritize a selection criteria, make a desicion, ENJOY PLANNING!! ;).

Well, on this one, I have to digress with previous posters. I would NEVER recommend anybody looking for a hotel in Rome a venue that charges close to 250-300 Euros/night for a double room where I know ahead of time that the bed size could be/will be an issue :eek:. The fact that is close to the Piazza Navona/Pantheon, while a good selling feature, does not really adds up to the value charged.

If you HAVE to stay in a hotel, I stayed at the Genio (which I do not recommend and provide you name so that in case you stumble across it you take that into consideration), the Forte (close to the Spanish Steps; LOVED the location and the staf was marvelous, more of a budget hotel), and the Hotel Nationale (on Piazza Monte Citorio; wonderful location; great rooms; quiet because it is on a pedestrianized area).

While I agree that the Alimandi is mostly convenient to the Vatican sightseeing, the walk to the Piazza Navona will be about 20 minutes (loved the walk!, but indeed something to consider). I still recommend an apartment and think it is the best way to go for you. Check out slowtrav.com for first-hand accounts of apartment recommendations in Rome. Hope this all helps. By the way, looking for lodging in Rome can be quite a project, so just set boundaries, list options, prioritize a selection criteria, make a desicion, ENJOY PLANNING!! ;).

Given what the poster is considering at the Hotel Alimandi Vaticano, I think the Del Senato is in the same range and provides both prime location and and an excellent quality of hospitality in both rooms and service.

As I said previously, I'm pretty sure they have rooms that don't have just double beds --whether the poster is looking for single beds or a larger bed is unclear.

Apartments are a wonderful idea for some, but they aren't for everyone. I prefer a hotel when I travel (as a solo woman). I also have no interest in cooking food for myself when I'm in Rome and can dine out on delicious food. :D

I have visited Rome many times and have stayed in lots of places from cheap accommodations near the Colosseum and on Via Cavour to very expensive at the top of the Spanish steps, and in my experience, the Pantheon area is the most pleasant and centrally located, and the Del Senato is the best hotel in that vicinity.

IMHO, of course. ;)

I don't stay in an apartment to cook :confused:, specially in Rome (please re-read reference to Trastevere rec on my post...; come to think of it, other than breakfast, I have never cooked dinner in Rome! :rolleyes:). I stay in apartments while in Rome because it is the SMARTEST lodging choice when party is =>2 and staying =>3 days. By the way, there are hundreds of apartmenst for rent in Rome' Centro Storico. This is such a no brainer, but I understand everybody has a comfort and risk level based on experience, so that's understandable. To the OP: have an amazing time in Rome!!!

Archived