Are the kids THAT bad during meals?

rogerwaters

My point was - there are not that many rude kids either but it gets re-hashed over and over again about how the behavior of a few kids is the norm. Frankly I've yet to see much of either but it seems some people really feel the need to continually complain about kids on a cruise and use a specific dinner incident with a particular family as the prime example. Those same kids had equally bad parents. Assuming because there are kids at the next table that they will be rude is just silly. Assuming that the adults at the next table will be obnoxious drunk is just silly. I've been on many cruises where adults were the ones treating kids poorly, not the other way around. It really seems to get on some people's nerves that kids are on "their" cruise. To those people - get over it!

The rudest behavior I've ever encountered came from older people who had nothing nice to say about or to the younger people. I'm talking in age from 4 YO to my 20 YO daughter. They mostly talked down to these kids when they thought no one else heard. This one man yelled at my 8 YO son for pushing the elevator button and how he hated kids playing on them. We were about 2 seconds behind him, but around the corner. He then started yelling at me and told me he was going to report my son to the Captain. I said, go ahead, and I'll be reporting a nasty old man who likes to yell at the small children on board. He wasn't playing, just getting the elevator for us all. Poor behavior is not age specific.

BINGO!!!! It was truly the most heart-warming moment I witnessed on my trip, and it made me glad that this self-proclaimed "child hater" rewarded kids that truly deserved it and appreciated it.

At one point during their boogie board sharing time, the 3 kids, (as I stated) were sharing with 3 other random kids. A small boy was watching nearby, (a native to the island who was sitting with his mother who was braiding hair on the beach) and this little boy stood and watched and watched those kids play. One of the small boys who belonged to that lovely family saw that native boy watching, and walked over to him, said something (I am guessing something along the lines of "come play with us") and that little native boy ripped off his shirt & sandals, ran with the other boy to the edge of the water, jumped on the boogie board and joined in the group of fun & boogie boarding. It truly truly brought tears to my eyes. If ALL parents could teach their kids to be so polite, be respectful while on vacation, and share with others so unselfishly, it would make for a better experience for EVERYONE all around! But alas, most kids aren't raised that way anymore. Their parents are selfish, self-serving, and oblivious to anyone's own needs except their own, and that's how their children behave as well. That's why witnessing this incredible family is still a favorite vacation memory of mine that involves kids. The other 99% of my experiences with kids have been awful and have made me wanna slap the parents for raising such ungrateful little brats. ;)

It would be so nice if they had "Adult only" excursions and "family" excursions. Most of the time, DH and I spend more money booking private excursions so we can avoid the parents who think it is a good idea to bring their infant on a cruise. We also look for the cruise sponsored excursions that have a minimum age of 12. However, it does not always work out the best....

I will usually do both, no matter where I am...

If a family has well behaved kids, I will compliment them and their kids...

On the other hand, if the kids are little disrespectful snots and they are preventing me from enjoying myself, then I have no problem giving the parents a piece of my mind.

Kids are kids indeed, but they remain the product of their upbrigning...

Pat

I have children so maybe the behavior of other children doesn't bother me that much but we have never had an issue with kids on cruises although to be fair, we do not travel during summer or spring break simply because we don't have to do so.

What I have had problems with are adults..young adults, middle age adults, etc...drunk, noisy, screaming down the hallway outside cabins at night, rushing into elevators ahead of elderly people who are waiting patiently, just treating people terribly.

I just wish those adults would stay off the ship! Or I wish there was some place to go where they were not allowed! Geesh...

Oh my...... We have been planning and researching for a family cruise. I was really (still am) getting excited about taking the kids on a vacation they have never done before. But, after reading all these posts, I don't want to board the ship and have a bunch of adults rolling their eyes and assuming my kids will be brats. My kids have always gone out to eat with us and I'm not worried about their behavior (my kids are now 16,13 and 7) and have always remained in their seats, eaten their food without mishap, and been polite to the wait staff. However, now, when we board and if I see an adult looking at my kids, am I going to think they are assuming my kids are brats? Seems to me we all started out as kids, give the kids a chance before judging them.

Oh my...... We have been planning and researching for a family cruise. I was really (still am) getting excited about taking the kids on a vacation they have never done before. But, after reading all these posts, I don't want to board the ship and have a bunch of adults rolling their eyes and assuming my kids will be brats. My kids have always gone out to eat with us and I'm not worried about their behavior (my kids are now 16,13 and 7) and have always remained in their seats, eaten their food without mishap, and been polite to the wait staff. However, now, when we board and if I see an adult looking at my kids, am I going to think they are assuming my kids are brats? Seems to me we all started out as kids, give the kids a chance before judging them.

Don't let these people get to you. Eating on the ship is like eating at an out of town restaurant. If you don't get adults "rolling their eyes and assuming my kids will be brats" when you go out of town to eat, then it is not going to happen on the ship either.

jstblj6 ... You shouldn't worry about that! Everyone is innocent until proven "guilty" after all... kids are kids and act like kids. Most are well brought up and very well behaved and thats fine! Some are holy terrors and their parents try their best to control them, and thats also fine! Where problems arise is when kids are completely out of control and their parents blissfully ignore their unacceptable behaviour.

I've been working with kids as a Boy Scout leader for over 20 years and have seen every kind of behaviour one can imagine. I sure as heck don't pre-judge, but I am not afraid to call a spade a spade...

I hope you and your family enjoys your cruise!

Pat

No worries. There are very few people that don't want kids on the ship or on their excursions. I have run into a few but not enough to counter the vast majority that are complimentary to kids when they see them behaving and enjoying their cruise and family. The crew members adore kids. They leave theirs behind and enjoy interacting with kids on board. My DD is on her 18th cruise this month, my DS his 17th and my 5 YO DGS will be on his 5th. We're a cruising family and one of the reasons - the great experience we all have. The ones that condemn kids without knowing them are few and far between.

On my. . . . do you take your children out of school to go on cruises when many adults are going to avoid children? I feel badly for children on cruises with mostly adults. IMO, children should be on child-oriented cruises -- with good children programs. Adults who prefer cruising with few children can book cruises when children are in school.

Travelcat2, I think you are in Canada, right? I don't know if they have them in Canada, but in some parts of the US we have non-traditional school calendars. So kids may have extended breaks in times other than summer, Christmas and Easter.

So if you see parents traveling with their children at times other than when you expect to see them, they may not necessarily have taken them out of school to travel.

Not what you want to hear, but true.

Travelcat2, I think you are in Canada, right? I don't know if they have them in Canada, but in some parts of the US we have non-traditional school calendars. So kids may have extended breaks in times other than summer, Christmas and Easter.

So if you see parents traveling with their children at times other than when you expect to see them, they may not necessarily have taken them out of school to travel.

Not what you want to hear, but true.

I live in the U.S. near Canada. I do understand that some people home-school their children and may take them on cruises during times when traditional school is in session. We do see a few children when we cruise -- not many. On our last cruise (late November - early December), there was only one child on the ship. The poor thing looked sooooo bored -- I felt sorry for him (he was from the U.K.) It is for that reason that I recommend that people (especially those with babies and toddlers) cruise during U.S. school holidays -- this way, they will not be the only ones with a baby/child and will feel more comfortable).

Thanks for your post -- I appreciate hearing all points of view.

I live in the U.S. near Canada. I do understand that some people home-school their children and may take them on cruises during times when traditional school is in session. We do see a few children when we cruise -- not many. On our last cruise (late November - early December), there was only one child on the ship. The poor thing looked sooooo bored -- I felt sorry for him (he was from the U.K.) It is for that reason that I recommend that people (especially those with babies and toddlers) cruise during U.S. school holidays -- this way, they will not be the only ones with a baby/child and will feel more comfortable).

Thanks for your post -- I appreciate hearing all points of view.

There are a lot of things that influence how many kids are on the cruise. For example, you will always see lots of kids on a Disney cruise.

I was on the NCL Star in October 2005. There were about 100 - 150 kids on that cruise. It was a "traditional" school time. I ask one and found out that there are schools that take a fall break during October.

I volunteered at a year round school. At all times at least 25% of the kids that attended that school were on school break.

Still, summer time cruises on kids friendly ships results in about 800 - 1000 kids.

In May 2004 my sister pulled my nephew out of kindergarten for a week. That was on the Carnival Pride and again there were about 100 - 150 kids on that cruise.

All of those were one week cruises. I was on the NCL Jade in February 2008 for two weeks (through the Panama Canal). There were about 20 kids on that cruise, and they seemed to be having a lot of fun.

So, if you want to avoid kids, go during the traditional school year and pick a longer (longer than one week) cruise. Also, HAL, Celebrity and Azamara will have less kids then Carnival, Disney, Royal Caribbean and NCL will.

I've personally never had that problem. I am single, but love kids. That being said, I try to book my cruises when kids are not normally on vacation, (no summers, February, or Easter vacations...besides, the prices are higher then :eek:) and I usually ask for "my time dining", and eat somewhere in between early/late seatings. I was on the Carnival Legend sailing 1/31/10. The last night they told us there were 500 kids on that ship. I would have never known it.... Their kids program must have really kept them busy, or else they were lying like crazy about the number of kids! :rolleyes:

WOW, wonder what kind of kid or parents you had :eek:

It only goes to show that the adults are the larger problem, never the kids! ;)

You know, when I'm around children behaving badly, I just get so clumsy!! I will turn to look at something and what do you know, my elbow will (gently) catch the little darlings right on the ear or Good Heavens, I might accidently step on a toe-I am so clumsy!! I usually just try to cruise in the spring and fall, though, so, this is not much of an issue. as others have said, the adults are usually worse...Maureen

You took the words right out of my mouth. I am now so paranoid about taking my kids to the dining room. I have one of each...the quiet, reserved, adorable, well mannered boy (7), and the not always quiet, usually polite, NEVER reserved, refuses to listen to reason, but cute as heck boy (3). And to top it off, my mom/TA booked us all late dining! :eek: I will do my best to remove any "situation," but I'm thinking there will be alot of eye rolling going on! Sorry in advance! ;)

You took the words right out of my mouth. I am now so paranoid about taking my kids to the dining room. I have one of each...the quiet, reserved, adorable, well mannered boy (7), and the not always quiet, usually polite, NEVER reserved, refuses to listen to reason, but cute as heck boy (3). And to top it off, my mom/TA booked us all late dining! :eek: I will do my best to remove any "situation," but I'm thinking there will be alot of eye rolling going on! Sorry in advance! ;)

Sounds like two normal kids. I don't see any problems.

From a personal point of view I have no problems with children in the MDR as long as they are as well behaved as everyone else. I wouldn't want them at my table as I prefer adult company & conversation. Do under 10's for instance want to sit at a table at 8-30pm for some two hours & is it fair to expect them to?

Those same kids had equally bad parents.

I agree with you, and I have openly admitted on this board that I went from being quite "rude" in stating that "I hate kids", to now having had a true wake-up call and realizing that i need to just really, really just feel bad for those disruptive, bad, ignorant kids because it's simply a reflection of how their PARENTS are and allow their children to be.

Archived