Get married onboard without a cruiseline charge?

ldparker

Will the cruise line allow you to get married onboard with your own officiant, without charge?

As an example, if you have a minister traveling on the cruise with you, along with some close friends, can that minister perform a simple, brief ceremony somewhere on the ship, maybe on an open deck. I don't see where the cruiseline would object, but they may.

Anyone ever heard of this?

Thanks, David

Will the cruise line allow you to get married onboard with your own officiant, without charge?

As an example, if you have a minister traveling on the cruise with you, along with some close friends, can that minister perform a simple, brief ceremony somewhere on the ship, maybe on an open deck. I don't see where the cruiseline would object, but they may.

Anyone ever heard of this?

Thanks, David

Sure, you can always sneak it in, but it probably won't be legal. I believe you have to get married in the same state that issued your marriage license, and the ship will most likely be in international waters.

But hey, go for it anyway.

Sure, you can always sneak it in, but it probably won't be legal. I believe you have to get married in the same state that issued your marriage license, and the ship will most likely be in international waters.

But hey, go for it anyway.

The ceremony is nothing but that- ceremonial. Get a license, sign on the dotted line, and you're married. Throw whatever kind of party you want.

More to the point of the original inquiry. If it doesn't interfere with other goings on, I don't see why they would care. You could probably split the difference and ask to use the chapel for a dedicated period of time for a nominal fee (after all, that's what it's there for!). They can usually do anything from merely offering up the space, to creating an elaborate ceremony. It all depends on how much you want to spend.

I'm the last guy in the world that thinks a wedding needs to be over the top or costly, but for crying out loud, at least shell out a few bills and have a legit place to perform a ceremony!

Asthe other poster noted, the person officiating may be out of his/her jurisdiction. Do the city hall thing before you leave to make it legal than have a nice ceremony onboard. The cruise line will reserve a room or public area for you for any reason so a private wedding ceremony will be OK.

As long as the ceremony takes place before the ship leaves the port of embarkation the legal aspect is covered..as long as the person performing the ceremony is authorized in that state..for example..I am a florida notary & if you were leaving from any port in Florida I could perform the ceremony, sign the license & it would be perfectly legal...if however you were leaving from Ca. & I performed the ceremony it would not be legal...

As long as the ceremony takes place before the ship leaves the port of embarkation the legal aspect is covered..as long as the person performing the ceremony is authorized in that state..for example..I am a florida notary & if you were leaving from any port in Florida I could perform the ceremony, sign the license & it would be perfectly legal...if however you were leaving from Ca. & I performed the ceremony it would not be legal...

What a wonderful idea!

I guess if the OP wanted to use the chapel under those circumstances it wouldn't be a case of being able to sneak in as it would likely be already used on an official basis..... I've seen wedding guests in the queue to board at Miami for a wedding.

Archived