Getting to & from Port NYC...need advice.

moopdog

I am not sure this is the write forum, but searched and didn't find any threads to follow, so here goes:

We live in Northeast PA, a small town outside of Scranton, and we're unsure of our options to get to and from the port. First off, we've never driven into NYC, and my husband doesn't particularly want to either. Not to mention the $210 we'll pay for parking. But what else could we do?

I could pay someone to drive us, but then they'll have to pay the $25 each of the pick up/drop off days (right?). Then will tolls & gas (about a 3.5 hour drive), it will be just as expensive as parking there all along.

Is driving to this port really, really bad for traffic and confusion? We'll be in and out on March 20th & 27th.

TIA:confused:

I also live in NEPA and have cruised out of NY twice. The first time we took a limo in (which was a waste of money) and the second time we were with a group and our TA booked a bus which took us directly to the port. I know of other people who have taken a Martz bus in and then took a taxi to the port and some others have just driven in. Honestly, I heard the least amount of complaints from those that just drove straight in or just got dropped off by family members. Hope this helps!

Hi, we have a country house in the Catskills and love Scranton. Our son has been to Steamtown about twenty times.

The traffic is really not that insane, particularly as you would probably be coming over the George Washington bridge and taking the westside highway directly to the pier. Just stay in the right lane coming over the bridge and that will take you directly to the west side highway. You can even stay in the right lane all the way down and just make a right at the pier exit (I think it's like 55th street). It isn't city driving at all--just highway driving with potentially a lot of company.

I don't know what $25 charge you are talking about for pickup and drop off. I have taken a cab to/from the pier (for my ten minute drive home-lol) and there doesn't seem to be any charge at all. I don't even know where there would be a place where they could stop traffic to collect it.

I am not sure this is the write forum, but searched and didn't find any threads to follow, so here goes:

We live in Northeast PA, a small town outside of Scranton, and we're unsure of our options to get to and from the port. First off, we've never driven into NYC, and my husband doesn't particularly want to either. Not to mention the $210 we'll pay for parking. But what else could we do?

I could pay someone to drive us, but then they'll have to pay the $25 each of the pick up/drop off days (right?). Then will tolls & gas (about a 3.5 hour drive), it will be just as expensive as parking there all along.

Is driving to this port really, really bad for traffic and confusion? We'll be in and out on March 20th & 27th.

We took Amtrak to NYC and that worked out well. Took a taxi from the station to the pier and it is close by. I think the taxi was about $12. When we returned, took a taxi back to station.

We have cruised on ncl out of nyc 8 times. Because we live in syracuse ny with snowstorms,we always leave a day ahead of time just in cas. We book a room in the meadowlands area of new jersey and the because it's a slow time in winter the hotel has always let us leave our car in their parking lot free of charge. We then take a taxi service to the pier. It costs about $50 each way and the driver handles all our baggage. We use either the rutherford taxi or the lyndhurst taxi. Both are excellent. We then call when the ship docks and the driver is waiting with our name in car window and returns us to the hotel parking lot and our car.

We were just around the Scranton area the other day, vacationing in the Pocono's. We live on Long Island, but the other poster is correct about travel. Just take Rt 80 over the GW Bridge and from there it is a short ride to the pier.

Yes, the cost of parking is the killer for that trip.

Aren't there any buses that run from Scranton to Port Authority?? There would ahve to be something??

Cheers

Len

We live in the Lehigh Valley and take a bus into Port Authority bust station in Manhattan when we cruise out of NYC and it is then a $12 cab ride over to the pier. We have Transbridge Lines here and you could look into Bieber, Susquehanna Trailways, Greyhound or whatever lines frequent your bus station up there as there has to be one doing NYC runs. We are lucky there is a bus every 2 hours or so so when we disembark we get a cab across the street from the ship and get in line at Port Authority and can usually make the 11:00 a.m. bus or take the next if that one is full.

We have done it 5 times and the perfect way not to have to drive, as we wouldn't attempt it. Round trip bus fare for us is $38 pp.

Just to follow up, when crossing the George Washington bridge, the advice to stay in the right lane for the West Side Highway is for the top level only. I don't know what to do for the lower level.

its the extreme left lane on the lower level.

the $25 fee is only if you park you car. Dropping off their is no need to pay this fee. and picking up have a cell phone to call the person who should park and wait off the pier(on 55th street) so you can call when getting off. If you don't have a cell phone they will have to continue to circle or pay the fee upstairs but that is a pain for everyone....no need to pay the fee either way....

Best bet park in long term parking and fly or parking lot in hobken jersey and take ferry right over to intrepid the ship is right next to intreped museum. Cheapest for penn.

actually it is in Weehauken. Its the port imperial ferry parking lot. Make sure to tell them you are parking a week for a cruise and they will tell you where to park. Some others who didn't tell them have reported having their cars towed.

http://www.nywaterway.com/Home/RidetheFerry/Terminals/Terminal/tabid/131/Default.aspx?ID=11

Jersey City/Hoboken is famous of course for Frank Sinatra. Weehauken's claim to fame is the Lincoln Tunnel and its also the site of the Alexander Hamilton/Aaron Burr duel. Hamilton lost.

We live in Waymart (Wayne County) and cruised from New York twice. The first time we drove there and parked. I was a nervous wreck thinking about the trip as driving in New York makes me crazy.. I listened to a truck driver I met and took his advice to go through the Lincoln Tunnel and followed Mapquest directions... it was VERY easy.. literally a few blocks from the end of the tunnel. Traffic on Saturday morning was almost non-existant. I was going to do the George Washington Bridge/West Side Highway thing but he told me that the Lincoln Tunnel was much better. Parking then was much less than it is now (I think less than $100) (it was only Feb of 2008).. our last cruise I just gave my brother a few bucks to drive us out and pick us up. I didn't take us near 3.5 hours to get there and tolls are only a couple of dollars. He loves to drive in the city so it was no big deal to them as they just went to lunch and then went back home. He got to the city the next Saturday and I called him when we were getting off the ship and he was outside when we got to the curb.. that takes a little more planning as you can't sit in a car and wait. Your party has to be there and jump right in.

I live in NYC and honestly the traffic is not that bad at that time of the day if you ant to drive into Manhattan. However parking is very expensive. Here are some cheap options:

1. Have a family member drop you off at the port. I am unaware of the $25/pp charge to pick/drop someone. If so then get dropped across the street.

2. Take a train to Penn Station then cab to pier.

3. Park on the street in Brooklyn and get a $45 ticket on the no parking day - cheaper than a garage. Take a cab to pier.

3. Park on the street in Brooklyn and get a $45 ticket on the no parking day - cheaper than a garage. Take a cab to pier.

except all of NY is a tow a way zone and occasionally they make a sweep of those cars...

get someone to move the car in a neighborhood you know...I am doing that for three weeks starting tomorrow.,

Just to follow up, when crossing the George Washington bridge, the advice to stay in the right lane for the West Side Highway is for the top level only. I don't know what to do for the lower level.

its the extreme left lane on the lower level.

the $25 fee is only if you park you car. Dropping off their is no need to pay this fee. and picking up have a cell phone to call the person who should park and wait off the pier(on 55th street) so you can call when getting off. If you don't have a cell phone they will have to continue to circle or pay the fee upstairs but that is a pain for everyone....no need to pay the fee either way....

I have been dropped off/picked up, and have also dropped off/picked up friends. Smeyers is correct, and gives good advice.

If you can get a friend to do this for you, it is your best bet.

We live in Waymart (Wayne County) and cruised from New York twice. The first time we drove there and parked. I was a nervous wreck thinking about the trip as driving in New York makes me crazy.. I listened to a truck driver I met and took his advice to go through the Lincoln Tunnel and followed Mapquest directions... it was VERY easy.. literally a few blocks from the end of the tunnel. Traffic on Saturday morning was almost non-existant. I was going to do the George Washington Bridge/West Side Highway thing but he told me that the Lincoln Tunnel was much better. Parking then was much less than it is now (I think less than $100) (it was only Feb of 2008).. our last cruise I just gave my brother a few bucks to drive us out and pick us up. I didn't take us near 3.5 hours to get there and tolls are only a couple of dollars. He loves to drive in the city so it was no big deal to them as they just went to lunch and then went back home. He got to the city the next Saturday and I called him when we were getting off the ship and he was outside when we got to the curb.. that takes a little more planning as you can't sit in a car and wait. Your party has to be there and jump right in.

I completely disagree that the tunnel is easier than the bridge--I have done it both ways, and coming from the bridge is much easier and less confusing than coming out of the tunnel.

I travel in and out of the city several times a month.

If you are not in the correct tube, or lane, you will find what it feels like to drive in NYC. Getting to the correct lane is not fun if you don't luck out to be in the correct lane. It really helps to know exactly where you need to be going into the tunnel and jockeying for position before you pay the toll.

Advice for bridge lanes is correct--upper level right or next to right lane--make sure you head onto 9W south.

From the lower level, left lane or next to the left lane. Again, make sure you take 9W south.

Exit for the pier is in the right lane and is clearly marked.:D

I live in the Pittston area and my family has cruised from New York several times. We took the Martz bus (about $36 pp rt) from Wilkes-Barre to the port authority and then a taxi to the pier (about $9 w/tip). It was very easy and stress free!

Archived