Crew member on Holland America ship at Olympics has leprosy

alohadad

This story is also making its way around the sports and Olympics web sites. There is so much emotional baggage and misunderstanding about this disease that I really wish all the reports would refer only to Hansen's disease. Most people still have a visceral reaction to the word "leprosy."

If I were on board the Statendam I would be much more concerned about a crew member with H1N1 than one with Hansen's disease. With proper treatment, the crew member should fully recover.

I agree with the last two posters.

Looks like HAL did not sweep it under the table. Leoparsy is a treatable disease. The crew member was sent home for medical treatment.

I was debating weather to get an H1N1 vacination. The fact that I was booked on a cruise, tipped me over the edge and I had the Vacination.

Hansen's Disease is rare and very difficult to catch, but testing is not that acurate. I was tested for it after middle east backpacking and a long stretch in Peru. My understanding was that a round of antibiotics cured it but my neurologist told me it was more difficult than that and the drugs are often life long with big side effects.

Turns out I had autoimmune disease, and it too has drugs you take for life that have side effects.

My prayers are with the staff member his friends and family.

Calling it Leprosy is sensationalism.

Read the Story here and I hope our beloved crew member has a speedy recovery; http://www.usatoday.com/travel/cruises/item.aspx?type=blog&ak=79803.blog

Thanks for all the previous, common sense, replies. In my 23rd year as an ER/Trauma nurse and I can assure you that our biggest health concern, as caregivers, is not leprosy, H1N1 or even HIV. Our biggest concern for exposure is Hepatitis C.

My best wishes for a rapid recovery to the HAL crew member.

Archived