2010 Saint John, Canada FAQ Guide and Interactive Map for Cruise Ship Visitors

Acey

Note on #13 -

The middle section of the Harbour Passage Trail is closed for construction until 2012. We rented bikes there last week, and the person running the bike rental gave us an alternate route from the port out to the falls on the map. I wouldn't advise it, though, because the alternate route goes along a busy highway, without a sidewalk at points, across a few busy off-ramps. It's definitely not a scenic route.

We will be in St. John in Aug. on the Enchantment and are interested in a city tour and a Moosehead Brewery tour. Was it the best and cheapest way to do this. Does the Brewery offer tours in a daily basis and if so where would I find out the times?

The brewery no longer offers tours. They have a city tour + beer tasting at a local pub excursion - you could walk around and discover the attractions on your own and stop in at O'Leary's pub for some moosehead beer products - save the excursion money.

• 3 weeks later...

Acey-my dh and I got off the Glory yesterday. Your information was so helpful to us. We rented bikes at Loyalist Plaza and rode to the falls. It was a bit scary to ride on the highway overpass (when we returned our bikes we were told the bike path normally used was closed due to some construction), but we made it. Enjoyed the falls, while we caught our breathe and headed back. Returned the bikes and walked 3 blocks up the hill to the park. We walked thru the market and then had lunch at Billy's-which was the best meal we ate all week!!!!! Weather was absolutely perfect. When we returned to our cabin balcony we could listen to the guy at Steamers that was singing to the customers. Great day in St. John's. Beautiful!!!

I'm a bit confused and I'm hoping someone can help me out.

Mapquest is saying it's under an hour from Saint John to Saint Martins, but that it's 2 hours from Saint John to Hopewell Rocks, where I PRESUME the caves are. Is this correct?

Or is there a different spot closer to Saint Martins where you can walk on the ocean floor (if the tides cooperate) and see caves?

Thanks!

Acey-my dh and I got off the Glory yesterday. Your information was so helpful to us. We rented bikes at Loyalist Plaza and rode to the falls. It was a bit scary to ride on the highway overpass (when we returned our bikes we were told the bike path normally used was closed due to some construction), but we made it. Enjoyed the falls, while we caught our breathe and headed back. Returned the bikes and walked 3 blocks up the hill to the park. We walked thru the market and then had lunch at Billy's-which was the best meal we ate all week!!!!! Weather was absolutely perfect. When we returned to our cabin balcony we could listen to the guy at Steamers that was singing to the customers. Great day in St. John's. Beautiful!!!

Thanks, glad it all worked out and you had a good time.

I'm a bit confused and I'm hoping someone can help me out.

Mapquest is saying it's under an hour from Saint John to Saint Martins, but that it's 2 hours from Saint John to Hopewell Rocks, where I PRESUME the caves are. Is this correct?

Or is there a different spot closer to Saint Martins where you can walk on the ocean floor (if the tides cooperate) and see caves?

Thanks!

Saint Martins is about 50 minutes from Saint John - it is there the sea caves are located. Hopewell Rocks are indeed almost 2 hours drive - however no seacaves but the famous flower pot rock formations. More "sea floor" walking in at Hopewell. St Martins is closest place to ship to "walk the sea floor".

Saint Martins is about 50 minutes from Saint John - it is there the sea caves are located. Hopewell Rocks are indeed almost 2 hours drive - however no seacaves but the famous flower pot rock formations. More "sea floor" walking in at Hopewell. St Martins is closest place to ship to "walk the sea floor".

Thanks Acey!!!

I think we're just going to hang out in Saint John, and tour the town.

St Martins is closest place to ship to "walk the sea floor".

Ok, I'm going to swallow my pride and ask a dumb question I've always wondered about - please don't laugh at me. ;) I'm asking this in all sincereity. If you are so lucky to be there at the right time to "walk the sea floor", do your shoes get really muddy?

Ok' date=' I'm going to swallow my pride and ask a dumb question I've always wondered about - please don't laugh at me. ;) I'm asking this in all sincereity. If you are so lucky to be there at the right time to "walk the sea floor", do your shoes get really muddy?[/quote']

No, you will be walking mostly on pebbles on the beach then hard packed sea floor. If you are there a bit earlier than low tide - there may be a small stream of water rushing from the beach area out to the retreated bay.

I walked on the floor twice on my trip. Near the Hopewell Rocks it was exactly as Acey said. We also went in from the eastern side of the Bay of Fundy and that was very muddy. The hotel had a special hose down area but my shoes were never the same. It was wonderful to "walk on the bottom of the ocean."

We're in port from 9am - 6pm, does that seem like enough time to rent a car, drive to St. Martins to see the caves, MAYBE see a little of the Fundy trail, grab lunch somewhere and then see some of Saint John?

I found a self-guided historic walking tour and would like to do "The Loyalist trail" which is approx 1.5 hours, I guess depending on how fast we walk.

Or should be skip the Fundy trail?

We're in port from 9am - 6pm, does that seem like enough time to rent a car, drive to St. Martins to see the caves, MAYBE see a little of the Fundy trail, grab lunch somewhere and then see some of Saint John?

I found a self-guided historic walking tour and would like to do "The Loyalist trail" which is approx 1.5 hours, I guess depending on how fast we walk.

Or should be skip the Fundy trail?

You should have time to everything. In addition to the walk mentioned above, there is also the "Victorian Stroll" and "Prince William Walk":

http://www.saintjohn.ca/site/media/SaintJohn/Walking%20Tour%20Brochure-tourism.pdf

Our ship will be docking at the farther dock.I understand there is a free shuttle to town for cruise ship pax.

I've also read, and have printed it out somewhere, that there is free transportation in town in summer from F.R.E.D. I do not know what that is, nor what route it takes, where to catch it should it go where we want to go etc. Can you advise about this?

We want to take a cab to the reversing falls. Will it be difficult to hail one to take us back, or should we rely on the #2 bus for our return? There are 3 of us, so the price would be the same taxi or bus (we'd prefer a cab since one in our party doesn't climb real easily).

There was a post months ago about a zip line that was going to be over the falls. Did this happen? I do not see it listed as a shore excursion with the ship. Any idea about where the pickup would be should the youngest member of our party (34) want to do this alone while the old folks take taxis to the falls?

Thanks in advance. BTW You are so good at answering every single question!

Our ship will be docking at the farther dock.I understand there is a free shuttle to town for cruise ship pax.

I've also read, and have printed it out somewhere, that there is free transportation in town in summer from F.R.E.D. I do not know what that is, nor what route it takes, where to catch it should it go where we want to go etc. Can you advise about this?

We want to take a cab to the reversing falls. Will it be difficult to hail one to take us back, or should we rely on the #2 bus for our return? There are 3 of us, so the price would be the same taxi or bus (we'd prefer a cab since one in our party doesn't climb real easily).

There was a post months ago about a zip line that was going to be over the falls. Did this happen? I do not see it listed as a shore excursion with the ship. Any idea about where the pickup would be should the youngest member of our party (34) want to do this alone while the old folks take taxis to the falls?

Thanks in advance. BTW You are so good at answering every single question!

If you are docking at Long Wharf, there is a complim. shuttle, or it is a very short walk. FRED (Free Rides Everywhere Downtown) is located in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Taxis will be plentiful - if for some reason none are waiting around - call an (800) number for cab at payphone or have tourist guide call one for you. Price is supposed to be the same whether 1 person or three. For ziplining see http://www.saintjohnadventures.ca/ - there are 5 phases I believe and they start and terminate at Fallsview Park, which is across the bridge and short walk from the main Reversing Falls Lookout Area.

If you are docking at Long Wharf, there is a complim. shuttle, or it is a very short walk. FRED (Free Rides Everywhere Downtown) is located in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Taxis will be plentiful - if for some reason none are waiting around - call an (800) number for cab at payphone or have tourist guide call one for you. Price is supposed to be the same whether 1 person or three. For ziplining see http://www.saintjohnadventures.ca/ - there are 5 phases I believe and they start and terminate at Fallsview Park, which is across the bridge and short walk from the main Reversing Falls Lookout Area.

Dang! I'd hoped I could get back here before you posted to CMA. I found my printout of F.R.E.D and saw that it was Halifax! Thanks for catching it, though, and for the zip lining info.

Dang! I'd hoped I could get back here before you posted to CMA. I found my printout of F.R.E.D and saw that it was Halifax! Thanks for catching it, though, and for the zip lining info.

Your 34 year old party member might also be interested in a jet boat ride throught the Reversing Falls - also from Fallsview Park:

http://www.jetboatrides.com/

Rockwood Park is beautiful; however I recommend Irving Nature Park as it snakes along the coastline and is geared for longer-distance hiking.

Whats the best way to get to the Irving Nature Park from the cruise terminal?

Archived