2010 Saint John, Canada FAQ Guide and Interactive Map for Cruise Ship Visitors

Acey

Acey...

We will be docking in St. Johns on September 14th on the Crown Princess and will be meeting some friends that will be docking on the Jewel of the Seas. I looked on the port schedule and neither ships are listed to dock on the 14th but are listed on the 21st(this can't be correct) and are listed as docking at different piers.

We were going to be waiting at the pier for our friends but that might prove to be a problem. Can you suggest a good pub close to the piers that we could instead plan to meet?

Thanks for all your great information.

Acey...

We will be docking in St. Johns on September 14th on the Crown Princess and will be meeting some friends that will be docking on the Jewel of the Seas. I looked on the port schedule and neither ships are listed to dock on the 14th but are listed on the 21st(this can't be correct) and are listed as docking at different piers.

We were going to be waiting at the pier for our friends but that might prove to be a problem. Can you suggest a good pub close to the piers that we could instead plan to meet?

Thanks for all your great information.

Crown Princess and Jewel of the Seas will be docking in St. John's in the Province of Newfoundland and Labrador. I'm located in Saint John, New Brunswick. Although I visited St. John's before, I'm afraid I don't have enough knowledge of it to recommend a place. I know George Street has a lot of pubs though.

Wow! What a wealth of information for spending a day in St. John' date=' all wrapped up into one post! Thank you very much![/quote']

I really do love all this stuff, but there are so many options that I am more confused than ever, and my sailing is only 18 days away!

Acey, please keep it on the less "physically active" side since anything with long distance or uphill walking won't be for me ...... but knowing everything that you do, and still pretending it's your first visit and you were faced with about 8 hours in your city, what are the top 3 things you'd choose to do???????????

Would you take a tour, or spend the time strictly in St. John?

Thanks!!!!

I really do love all this stuff' date=' but there are so many options that I am more confused than ever, and my sailing is only 18 days away!

Acey, please keep it on the less "physically active" side since anything with long distance or uphill walking won't be for me ...... but knowing everything that you do, and still pretending it's your first visit and you were faced with about 8 hours in your city, what are the top 3 things you'd choose to do???????????

Would you take a tour, or spend the time strictly in St. John?

Thanks!!!![/quote']

I would book the St. Martin's tour with www.freedomtours.com - click on `shore excursions - Saint John, NB - upon the tour completion I would explore the Old City Market (I think this is actually a stop with the St. Martin`s tour before returning to ship). I would not bother going to Reversing Falls unless you are zip lining or riding the rapids in a boat. Before returning to the ship stop into the historic Barbour`s General Store (2 blocks from ship on the way back) - you may find it very interesting and it`s free. You may also appreciate the old architechure along Prince William, Canterbury and Germain Streets - especially the old churches.

I`m not associated with freedom tours; however, I recommend them because I have heard nothing but positive feedback about them and very satisfied customers of the cruise ships.

Also' date=' am I reading the tide tables that on September 2, 2010, there is really not a whole lot of dramatic difference between high tide and low tide. If I'm incorrect, I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong in studying the tables. Thanks![/quote']

You won`t be able to fully appreciate the tidal difference anyhow when in port for 8 hours. The main thing is to walk on the sea floor at noon hour when it is low tide. Don`t worry about getting your feet wet. You can also explore the sea cave. Walking out to the cave is not a long distance. I believe the tour includes having the world famous chowder from the restaurant on the beach.

Good luck!

Acey

St Martin's low tide on Oct 17 is 2.58 meters - are there places one could still walk on the ocean floor

Thanks

You can always walk the sea floor at low tide. Having a higher meter level means the water will not recede as far out to the bay as say a lower meter level. It will not affect your plans however in the area you will be exploring.

You can always walk the sea floor at low tide. Having a higher meter level means the water will not recede as far out to the bay as say a lower meter level. It will not affect your plans however in the area you will be exploring.

thanks

I would book the St. Martin's tour with www.freedomtours.com - click on `shore excursions - Saint John, NB - upon the tour completion I would explore the Old City Market (I think this is actually a stop with the St. Martin`s tour before returning to ship). I would not bother going to Reversing Falls unless you are zip lining or riding the rapids in a boat. Before returning to the ship stop into the historic Barbour`s General Store (2 blocks from ship on the way back) - you may find it very interesting and it`s free. You may also appreciate the old architechure along Prince William, Canterbury and Germain Streets - especially the old churches.

Sorry it took me so long to thank you for your recommendations, Acey. I'm hoping that I can take the St. Martin's tour with Freedom Tours. I've been in touch with them and at this point, they do not have a tour scheduled to go out that an individual can join in on, and I don't have enough for a small group. ;) Hopefully that might change and work out.

Acey, I'll be in St John on 9/28 and was wondering if this was a good time of year to go on a whale watching trip? I've never been and would love to go on one.

There are no organized whale watching excursions from Saint John. You would need to rent a car and drive to the town of Saint Andrew's by the Sea. (approx. 1 hour from Saint John)

As for itineraries available, or the best or worst times to see the whales, please call a New Brunswick Travel Planner at 1-800-561-0123

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
can someone show me where Loyalist Plaza is and how far away it is from the macro polo terminal

Exit terminal, turn left and walk 2 blocks. (3 min walk)

Volunteers are around to guide you also.

We will be in St. John on Sept 22. We will only take a shore excursion in St John, and not any other ports in our 7 day itinerary, since we have visited them before. I am looking at these two tours - let me know what you think (I know they are over priced, but we like to take a ships tour the first time we are in a new port). We love nature and scenery, and are not big on touring buildings. Thanks!

A.Bay Of Fundy Spectacular

This unique tour takes you to visit the Fundy Trail, offering views of coastal wilderness stretching as far as the eye can see and the last undeveloped coastline on the Eastern Seaboard. The Bay of Fundy, boasting the world’s highest tides thrill you with breathtaking views of beaches, headlands, vistas and dramatic plunging cliffs. Drive through the picturesque village of St. Martins while your guide will entertain you with fascinating folklore about the village, including the thriving shipbuilding era of bygone days. Visit the beach, where time and tides have carved echoing caves in the sandstone cliffs. Then travel to the Big Salmon River Interpretive Centre and learn about life in days gone by. Big Salmon River village was an American-owned logging community from the end of the 19th century until about 1950. The last owner was the Hearst Family. Take a walk on the suspension bridge over Big Salmon River, view its crystal-clear waters, and watch for salmon. Eat a picnic lunch overlooking the world-famous Bay of Fundy and Big Salmon River Beach. We will take time to stop at the St. Martins Harbor for photo opportunities of the twin covered bridges and the lighthouse visitor centre. Note: Walking distance is approximately 1/3-mile for approximately 30 minutes. 6Hrs

B. Ultimate Hopewell Rocks Tidal Discovery Tour

Experience some of the world’s highest tides as you explore a world-class attraction, and a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve. Travel along the picturesque Fundy coastal drive to the Hopewell Rocks. Your local guide will delight you with both facts and folklore surrounding the Bay of Fundy coastal communities. Pass through Fundy National Park, where you can often spot various bird species and even an occasional moose. Then get ready to discover the Hopewell Rocks, the icon of New Brunswick. Experience these flowerpot rocks created by the clash of continents, carved by melting glaciers, then sculpted by the highest tides in the world. Interpretation will be delivered to explain how twice daily one hundred billion tons of water creates tides that can rise up to 50 feet. Enjoy a buffet-style lunch at the High Tide Cafe. Relax as you enjoy the scenic New Brunswick countryside on the route back to your cruise ship. Note: Please note that the tidal activity cannot be guaranteed. Guests must be able to walk approximately 300 yards over pebbled and wet surfaces, and maneuver approximately 100 steps. 7 Hrs

We will be in St. John on Sept 22. We will only take a shore excursion in St John, and not any other ports in our 7 day itinerary, since we have visited them before. I am looking at these two tours - let me know what you think (I know they are over priced, but we like to take a ships tour the first time we are in a new port). We love nature and scenery, and are not big on touring buildings. Thanks!

A.Bay Of Fundy Spectacular

This unique tour takes you to visit the Fundy Trail, offering views of coastal wilderness stretching as far as the eye can see and the last undeveloped coastline on the Eastern Seaboard. The Bay of Fundy, boasting the world’s highest tides thrill you with breathtaking views of beaches, headlands, vistas and dramatic plunging cliffs. Drive through the picturesque village of St. Martins while your guide will entertain you with fascinating folklore about the village, including the thriving shipbuilding era of bygone days. Visit the beach, where time and tides have carved echoing caves in the sandstone cliffs. Then travel to the Big Salmon River Interpretive Centre and learn about life in days gone by. Big Salmon River village was an American-owned logging community from the end of the 19th century until about 1950. The last owner was the Hearst Family. Take a walk on the suspension bridge over Big Salmon River, view its crystal-clear waters, and watch for salmon. Eat a picnic lunch overlooking the world-famous Bay of Fundy and Big Salmon River Beach. We will take time to stop at the St. Martins Harbor for photo opportunities of the twin covered bridges and the lighthouse visitor centre. Note: Walking distance is approximately 1/3-mile for approximately 30 minutes. 6Hrs

B. Ultimate Hopewell Rocks Tidal Discovery Tour

Experience some of the world’s highest tides as you explore a world-class attraction, and a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve. Travel along the picturesque Fundy coastal drive to the Hopewell Rocks. Your local guide will delight you with both facts and folklore surrounding the Bay of Fundy coastal communities. Pass through Fundy National Park, where you can often spot various bird species and even an occasional moose. Then get ready to discover the Hopewell Rocks, the icon of New Brunswick. Experience these flowerpot rocks created by the clash of continents, carved by melting glaciers, then sculpted by the highest tides in the world. Interpretation will be delivered to explain how twice daily one hundred billion tons of water creates tides that can rise up to 50 feet. Enjoy a buffet-style lunch at the High Tide Cafe. Relax as you enjoy the scenic New Brunswick countryside on the route back to your cruise ship. Note: Please note that the tidal activity cannot be guaranteed. Guests must be able to walk approximately 300 yards over pebbled and wet surfaces, and maneuver approximately 100 steps. 7 Hrs

Tour B is not offered on some days due to tide schedule (as the reason for going to Hopewell is to see it at low-tide). I would make sure it's available on your visit. I think you would enjoy both - however keep in mind that Tour B is 4 hours return of driving on a bus. Tour A is located 50 minutes from ship. www.freedomtours.com is a very popular and reputable tour company offering these excursions at a more affordable price. They meet you at the terminal - I would choose them over a ship tour easily.

Boy, am I glad I asked this question! We are not interested in a 4 hour return bus ride (still trying to figure out how this can be on a 7 hour tour....) We will look at Tour A or its equivalent on Freedom Tours. Thanks for you help!

Tour B is not offered on some days due to tide schedule (as the reason for going to Hopewell is to see it at low-tide). I would make sure it's available on your visit. I think you would enjoy both - however keep in mind that Tour B is 4 hours return of driving on a bus. Tour A is located 50 minutes from ship. www.freedomtours.com is a very popular and reputable tour company offering these excursions at a more affordable price. They meet you at the terminal - I would choose them over a ship tour easily.

I am now torn between Tour A (above) and Tour C (see below). All of these tours are listed as available for our sailing.

Tour C. Less than an hour away from Saint John is the picturesque fishing village of St. Martins, a beautiful window through which to take a peek at life in New Brunswick. During the scenic drive to St. Martins, your local guide will entertain you with fascinating folklore about the village, including the thriving shipbuilding era of bygone days. Upon arrival, stop at the harbor and witness the effects of the extreme high and low tides of the Bay of Fundy. This area is a favorite with artists, with its lighthouse, lobster traps and fishing boats creating a charming scene. Stroll over the covered bridge and explore this working harbor. Visit the beach, where time and tides have carved echoing caves in the sandstone cliffs. Enjoy a walk along the beach and a light lunch of delicious seafood chowder at the beach restaurant. As you return to the pier, enjoy the scenery and reflect on your wonderful day in St. Martins. Note: There will be alternate soup for those who don't eat seafood. This tour is not available for all sailings. Please check the order form for available dates.

• 7 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived