2010 Saint John, Canada FAQ Guide and Interactive Map for Cruise Ship Visitors

Acey

Awesome. I can't wait until I visit. First time out of the country, and I am glad its to Canada. I love Canadians and their moose(moosi? meese? moosen?) :)

There is a large bronze moose to have your photo taken with in Saint John near the ship.

There is a large bronze moose to have your photo taken with in Saint John near the ship.

Thanks! I think you just made my life :D And is their main language french, or english, or a mix? I think I want to take a picture of a french-speaking canadian with the moose. (Wow. Im weird)

Thanks! I think you just made my life :D And is their main language french, or english, or a mix? I think I want to take a picture of a french-speaking canadian with the moose. (Wow. Im weird)

Cassi - The primary language in New Brunswick is English.

New Brunswick is Canada's only officially bilingual province - mother tongue 35% French and 65% English with many more that speak both languages. Saint John has a vibrant French community.

Lol. Thank you all. I feel like I am somehow leading you ;)

The moose was a gift to the city from Canada's oldest independant brewery located here in the city - Moosehead Breweries - www.moosehead.ca

You can try their beer on the boardwalk near the moose.

• 2 weeks later...
Wow! What a wealth of information for spending a day in St. John' date=' all wrapped up into one post! Thank you very much![/quote']

Your welcome!

Acey - AGREED 100000000000000% GREAT INFO! Love the Moose also! Have seen moose in their natural habitat a few times - incredible HUGE animals! Are there moose in St. John's?

ALSO........ checked out the "whale watching" tour sites you posted which is what we are interested in. Are these locations close to the pier? How would we get there and the time schedules are a little tight for our departure time.

Any advice here? Any better than others?

THANKS!:)

Acey - AGREED 100000000000000% GREAT INFO! Love the Moose also! Have seen moose in their natural habitat a few times - incredible HUGE animals! Are there moose in St. John's?

ALSO........ checked out the "whale watching" tour sites you posted which is what we are interested in. Are these locations close to the pier? How would we get there and the time schedules are a little tight for our departure time.

Any advice here? Any better than others?

THANKS!:)

There are moose in Saint John and beyond, but not where the ship docks. Whale Watching takes place in St. Andrew's which is about 70 minutes from ship. You would need to rent a car. There is an active thread under this one (What to do in St John, NB) with 2 cruisers figuring out whale watching from Saint John - has some useful info as they looked into it.

The Jet Boat Ride departs from Fallsview Park. You can walk there via Harbour Passge Walking Trail in about 25-35 minutes (depending on how fast you walk). A taxi can take you there (approx. $6-7) or a bus from City Hall ($2.50).

Purchase your tickets at the lighthouse located on Boardwalk beside Market Square and the Hilton (3 blocks from ship).[/quote

Anyone know the best place to view and photograph the Reversing Rapids and where to get a tide schedule for the most dramatic effect? We will be in St. John July 28th. Carnival has a photography tour but I think if I know the best locations, we can put together our own itinerary. Or is the tour worth it?

Thanks

The Jet Boat Ride departs from Fallsview Park. You can walk there via Harbour Passge Walking Trail in about 25-35 minutes (depending on how fast you walk). A taxi can take you there (approx. $6-7) or a bus from City Hall ($2.50).

Purchase your tickets at the lighthouse located on Boardwalk beside Market Square and the Hilton (3 blocks from ship).[/quote

Anyone know the best place to view and photograph the Reversing Rapids and where to get a tide schedule for the most dramatic effect? We will be in St. John July 28th. Carnival has a photography tour but I think if I know the best locations, we can put together our own itinerary. Or is the tour worth it?

Thanks

Here is the tide schedule:

http://www.waterlevels.gc.ca/cgi-bin/tide-shc.cgi?queryType=showFrameset&zone=32&language=english&region=5&stnnum=65

The best viewing location is the main viewing area/platform on the western side of the reversing falls bridge. For the best photography I suggest exploring the "Trinity Royal Heritage Preservation" area where your ship docks.

i have a question about the transit tour. i checked the boards and on their website for info but cant find my answer.

when you go to the place for the bus tour by the port does it start the tour from the beginning or is it part of the tour? should i go to where the tour exactly starts or should i go to the falls and then get picked up there. really confused

i have a question about the transit tour. i checked the boards and on their website for info but cant find my answer.

when you go to the place for the bus tour by the port does it start the tour from the beginning or is it part of the tour? should i go to where the tour exactly starts or should i go to the falls and then get picked up there. really confused

The bus tour starts at Loyalist Plaza where you would catch the bus. Alternatively you can catch a pink colored double-decker bus that runs along 3 routes that takes you to all the sites you would want to see - when you are done at the site, another bus will be along within 15 minutes to take you to next site. A portion of the proceeds supports breast cancer research. For more info, contact Ambassatours at 1-800-565-7173

• 3 weeks later...

Perhaps I should have started a new thread for this question, but doing it this way will bump this one back to the top, so here goes:

I'll be in St. John in early October. Hoping to catch some fall colors, though I know that isn't guaranteed. Anyway, we want to spend the majority of the day walking/hiking trails, and was wondering which would be more scenic, Rockwood Park or Irving Nature Park? Or is it possible/worthwhile to do both? (Fundy Trail was originally on the list, but we really don't want to have to rent a car.) We will be in port 7-5:30.

Perhaps I should have started a new thread for this question, but doing it this way will bump this one back to the top, so here goes:

I'll be in St. John in early October. Hoping to catch some fall colors, though I know that isn't guaranteed. Anyway, we want to spend the majority of the day walking/hiking trails, and was wondering which would be more scenic, Rockwood Park or Irving Nature Park? Or is it possible/worthwhile to do both? (Fundy Trail was originally on the list, but we really don't want to have to rent a car.) We will be in port 7-5:30.

Rockwood Park is beautiful; however I recommend Irving Nature Park as it snakes along the coastline and is geared for longer-distance hiking.

We will be in St. John in Aug. on the Enchantment and are interested in a city tour and a Moosehead Brewery tour. Was it the best and cheapest way to do this. Does the Brewery offer tours in a daily basis and if so where would I find out the times?

Archived