Off Inspiration, 10:20 flight out of Tampa?

mgg42

I'm wondering if it's possible, or likely to make this? Does Carnival offer self debarkation? What time can I expect to be landside? Yes, I realize there can always be delays. And if I'm delayed and miss the flight, there are several other options that day, so it's not the end of the world.

I'm mostly interested in making sure I haven't miscalculated. This is probably doable right?

I'm wondering if it's possible, or likely to make this? Does Carnival offer self debarkation? What time can I expect to be landside? Yes, I realize there can always be delays. And if I'm delayed and miss the flight, there are several other options that day, so it's not the end of the world.

I'm mostly interested in making sure I haven't miscalculated. This is probably doable right?

Way too early...find another flight.

I'm guessing you got a comparatively cheap rate for this early flight pretty much because it's probably not do-able. This happens all the time on Sat/Sun departures from cruise ports. I was once on an NCL cruise r/t from Miami right smack in the middle of Spring Break, and heard a guy telling (bragging?) about the great airfare he got on AirTran for his family of four. For a 9:40 am departure on the day the cruise ended. There were 4-5 other ships offloading in Miami that day. This was in 2003, and security lines were very long. I also flew AirTran back home, and saw him at the desk being told that since he'd missed his flight, he'd have to stay overnight in Miami and "might" get a flight out late the next day. I actually felt sorry for him, his wife, and his two kids. The cheap flights tend to be for very early or very late departures on the day of debarkation. So - to save money, book an early flight with the possibility of missing it, or book a late flight and enjoy the sights. Or the airport.

Possible? yes Would I do it? NO If all goes well returning to the port and there is no hold up with immigration/customs and you are amongst the first to get off you can do it. If all these things line up you can be off the ship around 8:30 and take a cab ride about 15-20 minutes to the airport. I would not attempt any flight from any port prior to noon and not deal with the stress of not knowing if I can make my flight.

Wow. Thanks for the replies. I really think I misjudged the situation. I am a little surprised though. Relatively speaking, Inspiration isn't a very large ship. I have done more RCI cruises recently, and disembarking in Miami and Ft. Lauderdale, I routinely end up at the airport before 8am. I'm just surprised that Carnival Inspiration takes so much longer.

It wasn't that the fare was super cheap, I just figured it would be nice to catch the early nonstop, rather than have to do a connection later in the day.

Thanks again!

Wow. Thanks for the replies. I really think I misjudged the situation. I am a little surprised though. Relatively speaking, Inspiration isn't a very large ship. I have done more RCI cruises recently, and disembarking in Miami and Ft. Lauderdale, I routinely end up at the airport before 8am. I'm just surprised that Carnival Inspiration takes so much longer.

It wasn't that the fare was super cheap, I just figured it would be nice to catch the early nonstop, rather than have to do a connection later in the day.

Thanks again!

difference being is lots of people on 7 day cruises get off when they are called. Shorter cruises almost everyone carry off their luggage.

Take a later flight and maybe try to get on this flight as a standby.

If something or someone delays getting off the ship you could miss that flight and more then likly-- the next few available will be sold out.

difference being is lots of people on 7 day cruises get off when they are called. Shorter cruises almost everyone carry off their luggage.

Take a later flight and maybe try to get on this flight as a standby.

If something or someone delays getting off the ship you could miss that flight and more then likly-- the next few available will be sold out.

Hmmm... This is a quandry. The early flight, that I very possibly won't make, is the only nonstop. But there are a TON of options throughout the rest of the day involving a stop or a change. The nonstop always seems to sell out, but the others usually have availability.

So, take my chances on making the nonstop, and having to switch to one of the many other options if I can't make it? Or go with a safe booking later in the day, and try and standby on a flight that is usually sold out? Tough call....

At least it's a weekday, so it's not like trying to catch a Sunday flight home from Florida.

We cruised out of Tampa on the Legend last year and found both embarkation and disembarking the easiest we have ever experienced. We were off the ship by 830 and spent the day in the airport. The airport is about a 15 minute drive from the port, and taxis are easily accessible.

We live in the Tampa Bay area. Just picked up family from the port Sunday after a 7 day cruise on the Legend. They did self assist and were off the ship at 8:15am. They didn't eat breakfast, just grabbed the luggage and left. Disembarking this early is not always the case. Weather plays a big factor in docking on time. Plus, other things could come into play. The airport is relatively close but traffic doesn't always cooperate around here. To be on the safe side, I would suggest a later flight. Hope you have a great cruise. :D

Archived