One-way airfare for transatlantic cruise

lobster88

Many airlines have also stopped charging outrageous amounts for one-way fares, and they are much closer to half the roundtrip than in years past.  It's worth checking on Kayak or a similar site and pricing them.  Also, if you work with a travel agent, the agent may be able to get you good prices on one-way fares even if the cruise line doesn't offer that option.  My travel agent is able to do so.

1 hour ago, bottomfeeder said:

Many airlines have also stopped charging outrageous amounts for one-way fares, and they are much closer to half the roundtrip than in years past.  It's worth checking on Kayak or a similar site and pricing them.  Also, if you work with a travel agent, the agent may be able to get you good prices on one-way fares even if the cruise line doesn't offer that option.  My travel agent is able to do so.

Agree...I've found this to be the case.  The cruise line and/or agent can get better fares than I can.  For example, last November I flew from Nashville to Amsterdam and then home from Basel to Nashville.  Fare?  $651.

Roz

• 2 weeks later...

As much as I have come to loath United Airlines having flown them more than 1.8 million miles during my business career , I still use a Chase Visa Mileage plus card for all purchases. I build up miles for the sole purpose of free one way international air fares. Buying one way tix will cost $2000 for coach, $7500 for Business. RT $1250 economy and $4,500 business. So I got a free $7500 business tix for 125,000 miles. The one way for economy is 30K

I have been tempted to buy a R.T. and use it one way, but I read a story of a US air line suing a passenger who did that, for the difference between the one way and R.T. So I am a bit gun shy.  There are some budget airlines line Norwegian, and Icelandic who have very reasonable fares, but then one reads stories in the business press of their financial difficulties. I have never used my cruise line to book air, but that certainly can be an option depending on cost. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2019 at 3:41 PM, Roz said:

Agree...I've found this to be the case.  The cruise line and/or agent can get better fares than I can.  For example, last November I flew from Nashville to Amsterdam and then home from Basel to Nashville.  Fare?  $651.

Roz

Sounds like you did a river cruise? Those are my points of travel(from DC, not Nashville) after my 8 day Scenic river cruise on the Rhine in May. I will be going solo. There is one room on the ship that is set up for a single traveler and I grabbed it!

2 hours ago, skleeb said:

Sounds like you did a river cruise? Those are my points of travel(from DC, not Nashville) after my 8 day Scenic river cruise on the Rhine in May. I will be going solo. There is one room on the ship that is set up for a single traveler and I grabbed it!

Yes, I was on a Uniworld Rhine River cruise.  My routing over was Nashville to Chicago, Chicago to Amsterdam.  Coming back it was Base to Munich, Munich to Newark, and Newark to Nashville.  Since you're in DC, I imagine you can get a direct flight from Dulles to Amsterdam.  Coming back you'll probably have to do a puddle jumper from Basel to Frankfort or Munich and then home. If you time, plan on spending a day or two pre-cruise in Amsterdam.  It's a phenomenal city.

Roz

46 minutes ago, Roz said:

Yes, I was on a Uniworld Rhine River cruise.  My routing over was Nashville to Chicago, Chicago to Amsterdam.  Coming back it was Base to Munich, Munich to Newark, and Newark to Nashville.  Since you're in DC, I imagine you can get a direct flight from Dulles to Amsterdam.  Coming back you'll probably have to do a puddle jumper from Basel to Frankfort or Munich and then home. If you time, plan on spending a day or two pre-cruise in Amsterdam.  It's a phenomenal city.

Roz

I am lucky to have just a short flight to Philly, then across the pond. The airfare was included, so I will take it. How did you like the cruise? Did you go with a group? I did a Viking last year and now I am trying Scenic-they are all inclusive and have bicycles on board. I will have an extra day in Amsterdam before embarkation. 

The cruise was wonderful.  I went by myself.  It was a Jewish Heritage cruise where a special tour was offered in each port.  About 20-30 passengers participated.  I was the only non-Jew, but the participants were very warm and welcoming, and I learned a lot.  It was a nice change of pace from the usual tours.  We were one of the few ships to make it all the way to Basel in November.  There were some itinerary changes, but we never had to spend a night in a hotel.  This was my 3rd cruise with Uniworld, and I like the all inclusive concept.  

Roz

1 hour ago, Roz said:

The cruise was wonderful.  I went by myself.  It was a Jewish Heritage cruise where a special tour was offered in each port.  About 20-30 passengers participated.  I was the only non-Jew, but the participants were very warm and welcoming, and I learned a lot.  It was a nice change of pace from the usual tours.  We were one of the few ships to make it all the way to Basel in November.  There were some itinerary changes, but we never had to spend a night in a hotel.  This was my 3rd cruise with Uniworld, and I like the all inclusive concept.  

Roz

Maybe I will try Uniworld next year, so that I will have 3 cruise lines to compare(river cruising that is). Do they ever have deals for solos?

Every year they offer some itineraries with no or reduced single supplements.  Viking always charges double, so I've been able to sail Uniworld for the same or less than Viking charges, with more inclusions.

Roz

54 minutes ago, Roz said:

Every year they offer some itineraries with no or reduced single supplements.  Viking always charges double, so I've been able to sail Uniworld for the same or less than Viking charges, with more inclusions.

Roz

Well, I will have to be on the lookout for those specials. Thanks!!