What excursion did you do?

Angel59920

When I visited Dominica, I went on a tour with Beno. We booked it on our own (at quite a cost savings over any of the ship offered excursions). My wife and I thought it was our favorite excursion of the trip, and couldn't recommend Beno any more than we already do. We got to see the emerald pool and trafalgar falls, along with a number of other interesting sights (including the ever popular Mr Nice fruit stand). Whenever we hear of people going to Dominica, we always tell them about Beno. He can be reached through his website benonaturetours.com, or bnpascal@gmail.com

Enjoy Dominica! It truly is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen.

Thanks so much to everybody for the ideas.

Has anybody done the river tubing?

We did the Emerald Pool and River tubing with Antours and had a fantastic time.

If you are interested to learn more about our excursion, you can read my review with photos, by clicking on this link below and reading Posts #66-68.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1038334&page=4

I have also put together a Youtube video of our excursion with Antours. Details and link to this video is below:

Carnival Victory—Our Day in Dominica with Antours, July 7, 2009

Our second port stop took us to the lush, tropical island of Dominica. In this video, you will see our Port Excursion booked through Antours. We enjoyed the secluded beauty of the Emerald Pool and then went on a water adventure through a tropical rainforest--river tubing down the Layou River! Length 4:13

• 2 weeks later...

BUMPIING TOURS ROCKS! Gary was our tour guide and did a great job. I am so glad I did not miss this tour. It was awesome. Only thing negative about it was that it had to come to an end!!!!! You won't regret booking with Bumpiing Tours. We did the Roseau Valley Treasures Tour. One thing to mention is the winding roads, so if you have any motion sick issues you might want to sit up front and/or take some motion sick meds. It didn't bother me, cause I was on a Dominica Mountain High (I was jut too excited about the whole tour/cruise)!

ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
We did the Emerald Pool and River tubing with Antours and had a fantastic time.

If you are interested to learn more about our excursion, you can read my review with photos, by clicking on this link below and reading Posts #66-68.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1038334&page=4

I have also put together a Youtube video of our excursion with Antours. Details and link to this video is below:

Carnival Victory—Our Day in Dominica with Antours, July 7, 2009

Our second port stop took us to the lush, tropical island of Dominica. In this video, you will see our Port Excursion booked through Antours. We enjoyed the secluded beauty of the Emerald Pool and then went on a water adventure through a tropical rainforest--river tubing down the Layou River! Length 4:13

[/url]

luved your video...dou you think a 7 yr old could do this & how much did it cost?

Thanks for posting!!

luved your video...dou you think a 7 yr old could do this & how much did it cost?

Thanks for posting!!

Antours lists prices for children 12 and under, but also mentions that this activity is not suitable for children 6 and under. So a 7 year old would be able to do the river tubing. My youngest was 10 at that time and he had a blast! However, if you want to float next to your child the entire time, that will be difficult unless you want to try and hold on to his/her tube. But the guides were really great. Three times along the river, the guides raced ahead to stop the tubers, giving everyone the chance to catch up and keep the group together.

Since we booked with Antours the prices had gone up $10.00/adult. For the Emerald Pool and River Tubing combo, we paid $47.00/adult (it is now $57.00), $35.00/teen and children were $25.00--but they had a special going on, so my 10 year old ended up going for free. You can check this link to get their current rates.

http://dominicacruisesite.com/river_tubing

• 2 weeks later...

Another vote for Levi with bumping tours. We paid $47 for the Roseau Valley tour, which included the extra charge for snorkeling at Champagne Reef. Levi is one of the best tour guides ever and he will make sure everyone is safe and has a good time. He will actually help you out if you need it walking over the rocks or swimming through the water at titou gorge. Plus with his tour you can climb over the boulders and go down to soak in the water at Trafalgar Falls. Not all tour companies will do that. Here's my review.

Levi picked us up a few minutes after the cruise ship docked so we could beat the Cruise excursions going to the same places. First stop was Titou Gorge (where they filmed Pirates of the Caribbean II). There was a short hike back to the Gorge, but not strenuous. Levi warned us that the water was really cold and it was. We were all given swim belts and told the water was around 15 feet deep as we went into the cave. Inside there was a ledge we could climb up on and another waterfall was deeper in the cave if you wanted to climb up another ledge to get to it. When you looked up you saw the opening in the sky. Next, we went to Trafalgar Falls, which means twin water falls. Here you took a short hike up to a platform to see the twin water falls and if you wanted, you went down to the mineral pools, (this was where you climbed over the rocks) to get to the pools, which were like a hot tub, extremely warm and very nice. Levy was very nice and helpful to those of us who needed help climbing over rocks or getting in the water and through it. At the end we went to Champagne Reef for snorkeling. Dominica is a very beautiful island, but the roads were really bad and slow going everywhere. There are not many beaches since it is a volcano island and the water is not clear and blue like most of the Caribbean islands. The beach we went to for snorkeling at the Champagne reef was very rocky. Excellent excursion and can highly recommend. Cost is $47 with snorkeling or $40 without

PC130217.jpg

PC130274.JPG

PC130272.JPG

PC130276.JPG

Had a great time touring Dominica. We used Reyno Tours and could not have been more pleased. I made all the arrangements at the last minute through email at reynotours@gmail.com. Reyno answered all questions promptly and described exactly what we would see on the 4 hour tour. The sites included the Emerald Pool, Trafalgar Falls and the Botanical Garden. There are more physically challenging excursions available but for us, these sites were just fine. Peter, our guide was terrific. He had a very nice demeanor and was extremely knowledgeable about the island and all the amazing plants that grow naturally. The sights are really stunning particularly when compared to the other stops on our cruise (Aruba & Curacao). Also, make sure you get a bottle of Kubuli beer at Trafalgar Falls. It is the local beer and uses mountain stream water. It is really good and even better, was only $2 each.

• 1 month later...

JLCruising: Don't know about that. Is that what it's called in the cruise line excursion brochure? We had read about WackyRollers somewhere [i think here on CC], looked at their website and then e-mailed to book with them. We were on HAL and this excursion was not offered by the cruise line. They sent a taxi - the driver was very informative and stopped so we could see the "black sand" beach on the way. There were only four of us [one couple never showed], but we were the only ones doing the zipline [the other couple did the tubing].

We had two young guides all to ourselves and they were very helpful and safety-conscious. It was a bit "scary" for me [but I'm a big chicken - and not a spring chicken, either!] but I felt so proud of myself when I finished and had a great time. There were about six ziplines, some "tightrope" type lines, and a series of ropes/logs "bridges" [the logs were placed in various ways]. There was also a "Tarzan net", where you swing Tarzan-style on a rope, then grab a cargo net and climb up to the platform. I had to skip that, as I have "bad" shoulders and can't pull my weight with my arms [even though I only weigh 120 lbs] - my husband plays a lot of tennis/racquetball and he had a bit of a time with it. We absolutely LOVED the experience. Only thing I would have done differently is that I had on lightweight sneaks and the wire tightropes were somewhat uncomfortable.

The couple in our cab who did the river tubing were very disappointed, as the river was quite low.

Sorry I can't help you with the name. But if you want to do it, contact WackyRollers and they'll tell you whether or not you can book it directly with them.

• 3 weeks later...

We booked a private tour for 4 adults. Joseph was our guide/driver, and he was outstanding! ...very knowledgeable, attentive, thoughtful, friendly...would get local foods/snacks/etc for us to try every time we were in the van...mangoes, sugar cane, coconut candy, bananas. We went to Titou Gorge, Trafalgar Falls, Screw's Spa, and snorkeled at Champagne Beach. It was the most amazing day/island/tour of our southern Caribbean cruise! Can't wait to go back!

I too, am curious about the river tubing.

How long of a ride is from the cruise docks to the beginning of the river tour? How long are you on the river? How long is the ride back. Just a little concerned since alot of people that post here indicate that they send more time traveling to the destination then anything else

My husband and I are planning a potential shore excursion to Dominica and were hoping we could get some advice on where we should stay. We do not care about night life, and are only going to see the beauty of this place. Which area of Dominica would be the best for us to wake up to the most beautiful view in the world and also be close to the island's most beautiful landmarks?

thanks in advance.

Very neat place. If I was going to stay on Dominica I'd check it out- cocoacottages.com

Loved the people who run the place.

Also the Historic- Fort Young Hotel was really unique and worth a look. Just beautiful!

CoCoa Cottages

5RubyPrincess005.jpg

Fort Young Hotel

5RubyPrincess002-1.jpg

• 5 months later...
Another vote for Levi with bumping tours. We paid $47 for the Roseau Valley tour, which included the extra charge for snorkeling at Champagne Reef. Levi is one of the best tour guides ever and he will make sure everyone is safe and has a good time. He will actually help you out if you need it walking over the rocks or swimming through the water at titou gorge. Plus with his tour you can climb over the boulders and go down to soak in the water at Trafalgar Falls. Not all tour companies will do that.

OK - this is a little funny. You are recommending Levi and Bumpiing Tours but some of your pictures are from Reyno's website!

What's up with that?!:confused:

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitkat9438

Another vote for Levi with bumping tours. We paid $47 for the Roseau Valley tour, which included the extra charge for snorkeling at Champagne Reef. Levi is one of the best tour guides ever and he will make sure everyone is safe and has a good time. He will actually help you out if you need it walking over the rocks or swimming through the water at titou gorge. Plus with his tour you can climb over the boulders and go down to soak in the water at Trafalgar Falls. Not all tour companies will do that.

OK - this is a little funny. You are recommending Levi and Bumpiing Tours but some of your pictures are from Reyno's website!

What's up with that?!:confused:

I just checked Reyno's Photo Gallery and was very surprised to see one of my photos in there (the one with Mr. Nice and his fruit stand). What is even more surprising is that we didn't even tour with Reyno! (We toured with Antours). So it looks like Reyno is finding photos which he likes and is including them in his Photo Gallery. It looks like he did this with kitkat9438 photos too.

We used Bumpiing Tours. We did the Roseau Vally Best tour and it really was the best tour. $60pp, and worth every dime. Make sure you prepare for the hike wearing water/hiking shoes. I wore tennis shoes and had to take them off and on and my toes got beat up when they were off. Prepare to be in the water and take dry clothes in case it is chilly as you are in the rain forest and might get a bit of rain like we did. Such great memories.

So it looks like Reyno is finding photos which he likes and is including them in his Photo Gallery. It looks like he did this with kitkat9438 photos too.

And to make it even funnier - this is at the bottom of the web page!:

Copyright Reyno Tours 2010. All rights reserved. Site by Advance Technology Solutions

Maybe you want to email him.:rolleyes:

We did the ship excursion on this island. It was the waterfall and beach tour. We went to Spanny Falls it was a 1.5 mile hike through the rainforest to these "refreshing" falls. They were beautiful falls, the best part was that they were not commercialized.

Then we went to Mero Beach. I was very excited to see the black beach, but we were very disappointed in this beach. The water was not clear and the beach bar was just ok. The tour guide was very mechanical and rehearsed.

We would probably not do this tour again.

We did the Antour tour of the Emerald Pool, Mr. Nice Fruit Stand and then suppose to be river tubing but because of conditions, we enjoyed the volcanic beach. We were hungry, so the tourguide Neasa took us to her friend Lisa's restaurant where we had authentic food, and Neasa stayed with us for most of the meal. She was very knowledgable about Dominica and very nice.

Hi, we just got back from 11 nights on the Millenium and in Dominica we did the Extreme Dominica tour on the recommendation from Markstudy...absolutely the best thing we have ever done on a tour...well worth the $...always felt safe:)

Hi, we just got back from 11 nights on the Millenium and in Dominica we did the Extreme Dominica tour on the recommendation from Markstudy...absolutely the best thing we have ever done on a tour...well worth the $...always felt safe:)

What was the tour about. I can't find any detail on the celebrity site?

Archived