Just Back From the Spirit

Shoegal62

I got off the Spirirt yesterday. We had a fantastic cruise. Everything was great. The food, the booze, the games. The staff was friendly and accomodating. The spa had some great specials and was sooo relaxing. We ate at Cagney's twice and the main dining rooms the other times. Everywhere was delicious. We did the Murder Mystery Dinner, well worth the $20. We joined the Pub Crawl and the Martini tasting. My one complaint about those was the the Pub Crawl should have started later. The Chocolate buffet was great, although I wish they had Chocolate martinis. Kandi the cruise director was lots of fun. We absolutley loved it, and can't wait to go to Hawaii nest summer. If you have any questions, I'll try to help.

Friends did the ATV in Costa maya and loved it! We did Los Escobas Waterfalls in Guatemala, Cave Tubing in Belize, and snorkeling with the Stingrays in Cozumel. All were great, especially the cave tubing. I wouldn't recommend the sting rays here, it was much better in Grand Cayman.

The weather wasn't great. Mostly in the mid 70's. I couldn't stop shivering on the cave tubing. It was unseasonable cold though.

We had a balcony on the 11th floor. It was a very nice room, nothing really above us, and not a lot of traffic going by.

Great to hear! I just today booked the Spirit for next January. Awesome upgrade deal from oceanview to balcony on deck 10. Any tips about hotels, etc in NOLA for a stay before or after and excursions would be great!

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
I would like to know how the pools are and if there an adult only pool? How was the entertainment?? Any good bands playing??

Thanks so much!

The Calypso band is pretty good. No steel drums, but the keyboard guy can fake it.

If JO-EL Sonnier and Friends are still aboard you need to see them. A great show.

No clue about the pools. I don't indulge.

There are no mini-fridges. They can be had for a medical need. There is no good place for it and it does get in the way. We needed one.

We had a balcony.

Great to hear! I just today booked the Spirit for next January. Awesome upgrade deal from oceanview to balcony on deck 10. Any tips about hotels, etc in NOLA for a stay before or after and excursions would be great!

Thanks!

Terrell House Bed and Breakfast in the Garden District is a great treat!

Any tips about hotels, etc in NOLA for a stay before or after and excursions would be great!

Thanks!

Take a look at the Drury Inn and Suites. Outstanding reviews on tripadvisor.com. Great rates, hot breakfasts, drinks and hot snacks late afternoons. We're booked there post-cruise after Spirit's October-November repositioning, along with several others on the cruise.

Thanks!

We stayed at the Holiday Inn on Royal. Not the greatest but certainly convenient.

Two things I recommend.

Char-Grilled oysters- get 'em at Acme or Felix. They aren't the same but both are great.

Get to Johnny's PoBoys. About a half-block from Decatur on Bienville or Iberville. Don't let the line that you will encounter distract you. It moves quick and it is worth it.

If you want beignets and don't want to kill an hour on line at Cafe` duMonde, got to Cafe Beignet on Royal.

We stayed two nights before our cruise and two nights after the cruise. Our first two nights were at the Place de Armes in the French Quarter. The location couldn't be beat. We could see Jackson Square and the cathedral from our balcony (but couldn't access the balcony unless we climbed onto it from a common balcony!). Our room was small and the bed too soft, but the facilities are very nice and cozy. The courtyard was beautiful and I think if we stayed there again, I would get a balcony room facing the courtyard, not Chartres St. (too noisy). The two nights after the cruise we stayed at the Doubletree Hotel - Downtown across from Canal and Bourbon St. The hotel was nice as was the room, however the area was iffy. Homeless everywhere and we were approached by them everytime we were about to enter or exit the hotel. We made it a point to be back in our room early in the evening (before 8). We just didn't feel safe. If we ever return to NOLA again, we'll definately stay in the French Quarter again.

Archived