Royal Princess Being Sold

Off Shore

I am booked on the Royal Princess for next January. The ship will be sold to P&O a few months later. I am very concerned that under these circumstances the condition of the ship will not be pristine, and that service will suffer due to poor staff moral as they are loosing their jobs.

Danny Weitz

We are booked on the Royal for a February/March cruise 2011, and I have absolutely no worries about this taking place onboard. The Royal isn't being sold, just transfering to P&O. If I was worried, I would have cancelled the cruise after the annoucement she was being transfered was made.

I think you are worrying needlessly about this. Especially since there are many sailings/months of cruises after yours before she is transferred. Keep in mind, most staff members won't be looseing their jobs, they will just transfer to a different ship. I think you will be fine. But if you are really concerned about this, maybe finding a different sailing might be worth the trouble. Good Luck!

We're sailing the Royal on her last voyage from Tahiti to Ft. Lauderdale and have no worries. No one on the ship will lose their jobs. They'll just get transfered to another ship. And the ship is in great shape. Selling it has nothing to do with it's condition.

I am booked on the Royal Princess for next January. The ship will be sold to P&O a few months later. I am very concerned that under these circumstances the condition of the ship will not be pristine, and that service will suffer due to poor staff moral as they are loosing their jobs.

Danny Weitz

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1144224&highlight=royal+princess

We were on the last sailing of the Regal Princess about a year and a half ago just before she was being transfered to P&O. The ship was in remarkably good shape and the crew and service were impeccable. That's when we decided that Princess was our cruisline of choice. I wouldn't be concerned about the impending transfer as Princess always seems to uphold it's standards.

I doubt if you'll notice any decline on the crews performance as other people have said since they'll be transferring to other ships.

Years ago we took the last cruise aboard the Golden Princess prior to it being sold & it was evident that the ship needed repairs & Princess wasn't going to do anything about it. Such as dirty & frayed carpets, volleyball nets with gaping holes and they began to remove any Princess signs & logo's during the trip which was obvious since the areas behind the signs needed repainting.

Danny Weitz

The Pacific Princess II has transferred several times between Princess and P & O in Australia, so this is not really a new thing.

we were on the first voyage after the return transfer, and everything was great. They handle the transition well, with no lack of service.

We are booked on the Royal for a February/March cruise 2011, and I have absolutely no worries about this taking place onboard. The Royal isn't being sold, just transfering to P&O. If I was worried, I would have cancelled the cruise after the annoucement she was being transfered was made.

I think you are worrying needlessly about this. Especially since there are many sailings/months of cruises after yours before she is transferred. Keep in mind, most staff members won't be looseing their jobs, they will just transfer to a different ship. I think you will be fine. But if you are really concerned about this, maybe finding a different sailing might be worth the trouble. Good Luck!

Toto - we just booked on the Honolulu - Papeete leg, sailing 2/9/11. Can't wait! Using your advice, we booked Princess air R/T from LAX. The one-way fare from Papeete to LAX was out of sight. We had to go with standard balcony, however, because all the aft balconies (all 6 of them) are sold.

Toto - we just booked on the Honolulu - Papeete leg, sailing 2/9/11. Can't wait! Using your advice, we booked Princess air R/T from LAX. The one-way fare from Papeete to LAX was out of sight. We had to go with standard balcony, however, because all the aft balconies (all 6 of them) are sold.

Way to go, come join our roll call!

Keep watching those ATN flights, you can always cancel your Princess flights up until final payment time if you find a better deal. But one way on ATN home is usually so much more expensive than booking through princess for this itineary.

Congratulations, I know you have really been interested in booking this one, I am sure you will totally enjoy it.

FYI-I think the aft (at least on deck 6) on this sailing is booked by all cruise critic members on our roll call, probably why you found little availability there. lol

We were on the second to last sailing of the Crown, we found the same onboard, everything was just as it was supposed to be. ;)

We were on the second to the last sailing of the old Crown before she went into the yard for refurbishment. The ship was unbelievably shabby and the food was horrid. It almost soured me on Princess.

I've heard that the Royal is still in pretty good shape--a little worn in some areas. I have a cruise booked on her pretty soon, so we'll see.

Archived