Supposed to snow in Bayonne, NJ on Thurs/Fri

ntengwall

Just wanted to let anyone know who will be cruising our of Bayonne. Not sure about amounts but if you are leaving on Friday our of Bayonne, I would just be sure to take it into consideration. We are leaving on Fri, March 19th and we will be driving from Maryland to Nj early that morning (leaving around 6am). We already decided that if ANY snow was in the forecast we would leave the day before and grab a hotel in NJ.

We are going out of Bayonne NJ on Explorer of the Seas in June 2010. I am not familiar with that area or port. We will be driving in from Michigan.

I am wondering what the best plan for getting to the port and parking etc. Are there any hotels near by to stay the night before or would be we better to stay further out the night before and just drive in to the port the morning of the cruise? The port shows parking in $19 a day--is our best bet to park there or is there any other options? I know it is basically NY--so I'm guessing there isn't any cheaper (and safe) way to leave your car for those 9 days.

Any other suggestions for our 9 day cruise--we are a family of 4--two teenage daughters (16 & 18), my husband and I. we're really looking forward to the cruise. :)

thanks--PJKH

We are going out of Bayonne NJ on Explorer of the Seas in June 2010. I am not familiar with that area or port. We will be driving in from Michigan.

I am wondering what the best plan for getting to the port and parking etc. Are there any hotels near by to stay the night before or would be we better to stay further out the night before and just drive in to the port the morning of the cruise? The port shows parking in $19 a day--is our best bet to park there or is there any other options? I know it is basically NY--so I'm guessing there isn't any cheaper (and safe) way to leave your car for those 9 days.

Any other suggestions for our 9 day cruise--we are a family of 4--two teenage daughters (16 & 18), my husband and I. we're really looking forward to the cruise. :)

thanks--PJKH

We are also cruising out of Bayonne in June, but ours is one of the 5-nighters. I have been doing lots of research and have found so much info on these boards!

You might want to check in with the roll call for your cruise. Not sure what your sail date is, but here are links to the two nine-day cruises in June:

June 10

June 24

Roll calls are a great way to chat with other folks on the same cruise, maybe see if any have kids the same age, etc.

We are flying from Ohio into Newark the day before the cruise, so we can spend a day touring NYC. We will take the free hotel shuttle from Newark to the Hilton Newark Penn Station, then take the train from there into the city and back that night. The next morning we plan to arrange for a car service to take us to the port (and from the port back to Newark when we finish the cruise).

You will find lots of information (and VERY helpful people!) on the East Coast Departures Board, specifically this thread.

Have a wonderful cruise, we are certainly excited about ours! My only fear is that 5 days will seem MUCH too short...

Sue

Guest maddycat
You will find lots of information (and VERY helpful people!) on the East Coast Departures Board, specifically this thread. Excellent thread.

Have a wonderful cruise, we are certainly excited about ours! My only fear is that 5 days will seem MUCH too short...Sue

You're right. 5 days is much too short, especially for Bermuda.

OK really...enough with the snow!

Lucky me, we are going around agaiN!!

safe travels to all joining us friday!

I'm veryy jealous, enjoy!! I have pictures and video of the ship leaving last week when I have time I'll upload for you I go visit frequently by the verrazano to see! Eventually i'm going to get on Explorer!!! :)

We booked this hotel in NJ for the night before our cruise. They have a package deal for parking and shuttle to the dock for about the same money as parking at the dock.

COUNTRY INN & SUITES NEWARK-AIRPORT

100 GLIMCHER REALTY WAY

ELIZABETH, NJ 07201

TELEPHONE: (908) 282-0020 FAX: (908) 965-0954

EMAIL: cx_newj@countryinns.com

look 'em up.

Why schedule a cruise to the Caribbean out of NJ in February? Of course there's going to be snow! Another reason I have no desire to leave out of there ever.

Our neighbors feel the same way about seeing Kenosha Wisconsin in February, but I am sure the Wisconsin Dells are lovely in July.

New York is beautiful to sail out of from mid-April to mid-October.

We would welcome seeing you here. ( We really need the money )

Don't knock it until you've tried it.

Why schedule a cruise to the Caribbean out of NJ in February? Of course there's going to be snow! Another reason I have no desire to leave out of there ever.

We've never done it but have considered it many times:

1) Gain a minimum of 2 extra days over the same Florida itineraries

2) Cheaper than other sailings

3) No air to pay for

4) If it snows it's easier to get to the ship than to the airport, fly to Florida, and then get to the ship. Plus trying to get back. For us the airport is right next to Bayonne so the drive is the same.

5) Better last minute flexibility in plans (such as arriving early and getting a hotel) since you have 100% control over transportation rather than a plane booking

Only reason I could come up with for not doing it:

1) It's not the Oasis, lol

2?) Well maybe the rough waters to but some of us find that to be a fun positive to the trip, lol

Don't knock it till you try it. I've only done it once (in June) but loved it! If the prices would only come down to close to what other ships are I would book again in a heartbeat.

BTW as far as the snow goes, looks like Thursday will be the brunt of it so maybe Friday will be ok? I am West of the port and we are supposed to get a foot!

Hi,

Although this doesn't effect us. We recently sailed out of Baltimore. We were the lucky ones, we only had to deal with 4 or so inches of snow that Baltimore received the night before our arrival home and there was no snow heading home to Pa.

We choose this cruise since it didn't encounter dealing with the airlines. There is only about a 1/2 hr difference between Bayonne & Baltimore from where we live. Although we prefer to sail with Royal, Carnival had a MUCH better price & that was the selling point for us.

We are expecting a Major snowstorm ( we live between Trenton & Phila. ) They are calling for a possible foot of snow with high winds & drifting snow. If you can head out early for your cruise, you might want to consider it. The snowstorm might not end until Sat.

Safe Travels to all. Enjoy your cruise. May your seas be calm.

Joyce & Of Course Harvey

We chose Bayonne because I have 3 kids and the airfare alone for all 4 of us to get to FL would be at least $800--not to mention the hassle of having to pack taking air travel into consideration. MUCH easier knowing that I can bring whatever we want as long as we can all carry it :)

Plus, the whole reason we go away in the winter is to get away from the winter. Not saying I would refuse a cruise during our summer months but I REALLY enjoy it to get away from the winter weather!

We chose Bayonne because I have 3 kids and the airfare alone for all 4 of us to get to FL would be at least $800--not to mention the hassle of having to pack taking air travel into consideration. MUCH easier knowing that I can bring whatever we want as long as we can all carry it :)

Plus, the whole reason we go away in the winter is to get away from the winter. Not saying I would refuse a cruise during our summer months but I REALLY enjoy it to get away from the winter weather!

I agree that the whole point of cruising during winter is to get away from winter. I have to fly to a port anyway, so for me it would make no sense to start off in a cold port or one that could potentially have snow. If I leave from Miami or anywhere in FL, I am almost guaranteed that it won't snow. It may not be 80 and sunny, but I know it won't snow there. I may get stuck in WI on the way out, but I know I'm taking that risk. I just personally would not choose to sail out of NJ (or Baltimore) in the winter. I happen to prefer Miami to NY since I have to fly anyway, but I know that NJ is very convenient for many people. I'm very jealous of that! :D

And for the record, the East Coast has had more snow than Milwaukee and Madison this year, and the Dells are really never lovely. :) Just like "Jersey Shore" doesn't represent NJ, the Dells don't represent WI.

We are expecting a Major snowstorm ( we live between Trenton & Phila. ) They are calling for a possible foot of snow with high winds & drifting snow. If you can head out early for your cruise, you might want to consider it. The snowstorm might not end until Sat.

Safe Travels to all. Enjoy your cruise. May your seas be calm.

Joyce & Of Course Harvey

My sister in NJ sent this link yesterday, outlining a nor'easter Thursday-Friday with damaging winds up to 70 mph in some areas, blinding snow, huge waves, and flooding. I would definitely leave extra extra early.

http://www.accuweather.com/regional-news-story.asp?region=eastusnews

Good luck to everyone trying to get to their vacations this week end. We leave Saturday for Lauderdale, to be on the Indy on Sunday. It looks like our luck may hold out (still worried about flight problems from other places):eek: Stay safe!

Our neighbors feel the same way about seeing Kenosha Wisconsin in February, but I am sure the Wisconsin Dells are lovely in July.

i agree...AND i don't have to get on a PLANE!!:eek:

thanks--PJKH

What is the date of the cruise you are going on in June? I am on one June 10, and I too, am from Michigan.

I have actually seen Kenosha in February and the Dells in July. I use to live in Wisconsin but now I live in Maryland. I remember the winter of 78/79 when we got 80 inches of snow and 3 weeks of -25 degrees. Had I known school would be canceled for a week, I would have jumped on the Pride. The great thing about cruising out of Baltimore or NJ is that we don't have to pay for airfare.

We found it to be a wonderful experience when we cruised out of Bayonne last January. It was gently snowing the morning when we sailed out. It was different, because we also needed a few warm outfits/jackets. The seas were rougher than when crusing from Florida, but we found that fun. The day we boarded and and the next day were quite cold, but by the second sea day it was warm enough for short sleeves and no jacket or sweater.

We loved having the extra days at sea. So much time to really experience the ship. I would sail from Bayonne again in a heartbeat (though its not a pretty or well-organized port).

Rachel

We were on the Dec. 20th Holiday sailing. There was a huge snowstorm on the 19th. We drove up from North Carolina (bringing the snow with us). We had to leave a day earlier than planned. We stayed at the Wyndham Garden Hotel at the Newark Airport and left our car there in a secure lot for two weeks for the $99 price of the room. I was amazed that traffic moved very well the morning of the cruise. No problem getting a taxi to the port. We were quite relieved. We were on board by 12:30.

Archived