What's Up With The Pricing?

wesail7seas

I have checked out NCL's 9 day Mediterranean cruise,departing on April 9th.

Oceanview and Suites were all sold out,but inside cabins are still available.

Now,here's the mystery:Inside cabins start at $849.00,but a Balcony starts at $9,899!!

The same balcony NEXT April starts at $1199.00

So I called NCL,and was told that they have no balconies available anyway,and that price is posted...well..hmmm.....but would I like to book for next year?

Also,the same huge gap in pricing is evident in several cruise sell off sites.

So does anyone know how the pricing works?Are there standards,or can they just slam any old price they want? :confused:

I've wondered that myself on our Sun trip in June. It shows routinely a balcony for $9,999 and once in awhile a suite will show available for in the $3,000 range (right now on the sailing prior, same $9,999 price for balcony but a suite starts at $3,299.

Now,here's the mystery:Inside cabins start at $849.00,but a Balcony starts at $9,899!!

So I called NCL,and was told that they have no balconies available anyway,and that price is posted...well..hmmm.....but would I like to book for next year?

So does anyone know how the pricing works?Are there standards,or can they just slam any old price they want? :confused:

They can put whatever price on them that they want.

What seems to be happening is that when something is sold out it shows some stupid price. Has been happening since the new website was launched.

I called about a simalar price for a balcony on a different cruise. I was told that the balcony cabins were sold out. They put that price when the catagory is sold out:rolleyes:

That price is listed so that at least one category remains "open." If all of the categories are listed as "sold out," their system will remove the voyage from the schedule. If someone then cancels and a cabin opens up, it won't list as available. Therefore, by listing a balcony category with an unreasonable price, the ship won't be removed entirely, and any last minute openings are available.

I checked our cruise today and it still shows the balcony cat starting at $9,999. I clicked on it and it provided 10 balcony room numbers to choose from for booking. That would indicate it isn't always used as a placeholder.

Because you clearly know that there aren't unassigned GTY balcony reservations sitting out there, waiting for those 10+ balconies to be assigned to them...

If they wanted to sell them, they wouldn't have them listed for 10k/person.

I checked our cruise today and it still shows the balcony cat starting at $9,999. I clicked on it and it provided 10 balcony room numbers to choose from for booking. That would indicate it isn't always used as a placeholder.

First, they can pick any price they want and change it whenever they want. This does happen from time to time based on supply and demand.

As to those crazy prices, I would guess they are just a placeholder for various reasons.

It's a placeholder to ensure that the entire voyage doesn't disappear when all of the other categories sell out. They have no intention of selling those cabins at those rates, although I suppose if you REALLY wanted to mess with them, you could so them by booking at that rate...:eek:

I just saw that. Could it be

A: using it for an upsale or

B: it's a typo

Archived