Zuiderdam and dry dock

sweet sheep

Does anyone know what they are going to do while Z is in dry dock? I know they are adding a " Canalletos" in the grill area like the other ships, but do not know what else is planned.

We are sailing April 10th and know she is going in late March.

Many thanks from my fellow cruisers. I love this web site!:)

Just came off the Zuiderdam and although the ship was clean, it was very tattered and worn. All the rugs, upholstery, trims, walls, cushions, tiles, chairs, etc. in the public rooms and cabins, needed help.

The showerhead in a friend's cabin was broken the first day, and was fixed the next day. Ours broke halfway through the cruise, and it took them 2 days to fix it, not great, but at least it was somewhat functional. Another friend's cabin had the plastic case on the vanity light missing, with the bulbs exposed (which really is a safety hazard), and when they couldn't find a new cover they offered to tape it up.

The Crow's nest and Internet area was absolutely beautiful. One of the best areas on any ship.

I've never been on a ship in such disrepair. But we're very easygoing people and loved the cruise. Would certainly cruise with Holland again.

I've never been on a ship in such disrepair.
When we were on the Zuiderdam (12/07) my daughter got trapped in a Ladies' Room stall by a broken lock/latch, and no one and answered the "help" call button. Maybe that didn't work either.

After 20 minutes or so of fiddling with it she managed to escape, and told a nearby bartender. We don't know if anything was ever done about fixing it.

Just off the Zuiderdam (2/11-2/21/10), I hope HAL services the engine in dry dock!!!!!!!!!!

The engine stopped in the middle of the night. Power was interrupted. The following night, there was an announcement of smoke in the engine room.

For both incidents, captain made announcements and apologized for the inconvenience. But, we did not feel confident with the Zuiderdam's mechanical functioning.

We were also on Zuiderdam (2/11-2/21/10). While we did see some worn areas, we saw nothing that disturbed us. No problems with our cabin. The "smoke in the engine room" was reported to us as someone smoking where they shouldn't - don't know for certain.

We were also on Zuiderdam (2/11-2/21/10). While we did see some worn areas, we saw nothing that disturbed us. No problems with our cabin. The "smoke in the engine room" was reported to us as someone smoking where they shouldn't - don't know for certain.

hmmm ... did Captain Timmers lie to us? He said it was due to exhaust from the smokestack entered the air intake due to wind changes.

Funny this didn't bother us, other than being woken up at 2 AM. I jumped out of bed, ready to get changed and mentally prepared myself, but waited for further notice. We weren't concerned when he came on and said they were investigating. Just waited for the 'all clear'.

I was a little more concerned when the engines cut out the night before. DH was fast asleep but I was reading and realized something wasn't quite right when the ship started bouncing up and down and was not the usual roll. Sure enough a little while later the AC cut out. Many of us went out on the balconies and I didn't like the feeling of just floating at sea. Although the power came back shortly afterwards, they never did determine what caused the generators to shut down.

Now that was scary!! From reading on CC, I know this happens quite often, we never experienced it on any of our previous cruises.

Who knows the true story - if the captain told you a reason then that is the official line. If you recall the initial announcement was from the officer of the deck - then a few minutes later the captain came on sounding a little sleeping IMO and gave comments that things were being investigated. I just wonder if the officer in charge jumped the gun a little. I didn't get up just stayed in bed glad that the announcement could be heard from the little speakers right at the top of the bed. For normal announcements I have to open the door to the hall to hear.

• 1 month later...

We were on the Zuiderdam's first voyage after dry dock two years ago. In many respects, the ship board experience was much less than what we had experienced on previous HAL cruises. I had never seen a HAL ship in such poor condition. I would hate to have seen it prior to dry dock. Nevertheless the overall cruise experience was saved by the excellent itinerary.

But I learned a valuable lesson. When planning future cruises make sure you aren't on the first cruise, and also perhaps the first few cruises, for a ship coming out of dry dock.

Archived