May or September.... Alaskian Cruise

Momma Mojito

We are considering an Alaskian cruise and would like your opinion on either May or September. Cost is the reason Which month would you see better scenery or does it matter We have always done Caribbean because of the warmer weather, but have been thinking maybe we should see Alaska. Anyone that I have asked have always told me an Alaskian cruise is one you shouldn't miss.

Our first AK cruise was the first one in May. Great cruise! Didn't see any bears, though. Went whale watching & flight seeing. Weather was nice (By that I don't mean warm, but not too rainy). This year we're cruising the last cruise of the season. So we'll see.

I agree - an Alaskan cruise is one everyone should go on once in their lifetime. The scenery is incredible.

It's hard to predict what the weather will be. We went in late August 2008 and the weather varied from sunny to rainy to foggy (too foggy to flightsee in Ketchikan). You just have to be prepared for anything and not let the weather stop you from doing things. Water resistant shoes or boots and jacket are very important.

We've done both - first AK cruise was mid-Sept. Cooler temps., more rain, less hours of daylight. Next AK cruise was May 30th into first week of June. Longer hours of daylight was the biggest bonus we experienced! Light til 10:30PM, sun up at 4AM or there abouts - so much to see and do! Weather was much better too - still chilly, but not near as much rain. Weather in AK is a crap shoot though - you could have amazing warm, dry weather at anytime you go....or you could have the polar opposite. Just for the longer daylight issue alone, I'd highly recommend May - the later in May the better. In our opinion, however, ANY trip to Alaska is a great one! So much so, we're headed back again on May 31st for a 14 day itinerary on HAL. Its truly magnificent - the scenery, the wildlife, the mountains, the culture - it takes your breath away! Good luck in your decision and do enjoy Alaska - truly God's country!

I too will always pick May over Sept. I also have sailed these timeframes several times. In my opinion, the "cheaper" rates of Sept, are not large enough for me to consider them any more. I recommend mid May or later, and it's usually much better the first week of Sept. compared to the following two.

It's a different story, if you are going to Denali Park??

May is a much drier time to cruise Alaska. My first was in June and my second was in August. August it rained most of the time. May, though colder is perhaps the best time to cruise because of lack of rain(hopefully). But you will most likely not see bears and the salmon don't start spawning usually until late July or August. My next Alaskan cruise is in May and can't wait!

Did my first Alaskan in late May. Saw alot more wildlife. The icebergs around Glacier Bay were covered with seals and their babies. Next one was in August. Not as much wildlife accept the salmon were running and that was interesting. We were lucky on both and had great weather.

Going the end of May this year.

Every one knows weather in Alaska or Colorado is a crap shoot. There are advantages and disadvantages in going either month. Have had great weather in August and terrible weather, last August, in August. Last time we went in May no waterfalls, still frozen. So flip your coin.

My first cruise was in Sept with a few days of rain, but nothing to stop any excursion I wanted, & was followed by a beautiful double rainbow. This year I'm going in May, so will see the opposite end of the spectrum. If you are going inland to Denali, I highly recommend Sept. The fall colors are unbelieveable. What ever the weather, it is Alaska & magnificent.

We sailed mid September, rained everyday, very cold & windy. We did see several Bears, especially at Mendenhall Glacier and on the shorelines while we were cruising from port to port. I thought we saw a ton of whales while on the ship but according to others that had been to Alaska in earlier months, they claim that most of the whales have moved to warmer weather.

I have not went in May but a close friend did and she said, is was pretty cold, but little to no rain, lots on snow still on ground, frozen waterfalls but very little sightings of Bears, she only saw one on her Floatplane tour and that was the only one for thew entire trip.

I have heard that you can never predict weather in Alaska nor can your be assured of seeing Bears. You would definitely have more daylight hours which is a plus. We are cruising to Alaska this year in July, so I will hopefully be able to see Alaska without being wet all the time.

However, I love Alaska and I would cruise there anytime, any month, just to go. It is the most beautiful and GREEN you will ever see, guess that's where all that rain comes into play:D.

Have a great time, no matter which month you choose.

We are considering an Alaskian cruise and would like your opinion on either May or September. Cost is the reason Which month would you see better scenery or does it matter We have always done Caribbean because of the warmer weather, but have been thinking maybe we should see Alaska. Anyone that I have asked have always told me an Alaskian cruise is one you shouldn't miss.

May would be my choice as I enjoy 'Spring'. September all I can think of is bone chilling cold, drizzle with fog. You will find better pricing in gift shops in September for end-of-season clearance, but better selection in May. I personally enjoy living in Alaska and seeing all the wildflowers come to life in Spring.

Archived