1. 1. Who should be Marina's godmum?

• Susan Sarandon
    • Hilary Clinton
    • Meryl Streep
    • Kate Winslet
    • Diane Sawyer
    • Catherine Zeta-Jones
    • Emma Thompson
    • None of the above, my choice is noted below!

Just for fun: I have compiled a list of all the words/phrases used to describe the qualities of the (Oceania Vibe?) new godmother for Marina. If there is one woman who fits all this may we be lucky enough to meet her (or know her). I have one friend who comes close but she doesn't know a thing about Oceania.

Friendly, classy yet unpretentious, understated, supporter of Oceania, accomplished woman, fantastic, humanitarian, enjoys cruising, doesn't take herself too seriously, good sense of humor, ready for anything, beautiful, genuine, comfortable, fun to be with, everybody loves her, unique, exceeded expectations, joy to be around, "dream come true", concentration on excellent food, seems nice, elegant lady, wonderful actress.

Whew!!

• 8 months later...
Just for fun: I have compiled a list of all the words/phrases used to describe the qualities of the (Oceania Vibe?) new godmother for Marina. If there is one woman who fits all this may we be lucky enough to meet her (or know her). I have one friend who comes close but she doesn't know a thing about Oceania.

Friendly, classy yet unpretentious, understated, supporter of Oceania, accomplished woman, fantastic, humanitarian, enjoys cruising, doesn't take herself too seriously, good sense of humor, ready for anything, beautiful, genuine, comfortable, fun to be with, everybody loves her, unique, exceeded expectations, joy to be around, "dream come true", concentration on excellent food, seems nice, elegant lady, wonderful actress.

I quote myself here! Instead of starting a new topic, I knew this has been discussed and voted on months ago. I wonder if there is any new news regarding the Godmother of Marina? When does this take place and where, and when will we know who it is?

Take a look at this:

"Shrek’s Princess Fiona named Allure of the Seas' godmother

Royal Caribbean chose Princess Fiona, an animated character from the Shrek film franchise, to be godmother of the Allure of the Seas. The ship’s naming ceremony took place on Sunday"via Travel Weekly.

I just hope we have a human!!

Lynne

Can someone explain to me why it matters?

Do you mean why it matters that there is a godmother, or why it matters when we will know who it will be and when it will be announced, or when it will take place?

Personally, I think it is fun to watch the films of Twiggy and Queen Elizabeth, Sophia Lauren., etc., and even Shrek's princess Fiona performing the rituals. I have always enjoyed watching the films of the bottle of champaign crashing onto the ship (hull?) right before a launching (in the movies).

I am also curious if the ceremony will be done when I am on the ship to be able to see something I have never seen done in person. I read that one ship had all the passengers on its Maiden Voyage be the "godparents" and I like that, since I will be on the M.V. :)

Lynne

I mean why it matters who the Godmother is. Other than a photo op at the inaugural what difference does it make? If she could get us extra reservations in the specialty restaurants I'd be more interested.

okay, I think I understand what you mean and can agree that once the ceremony is said and done and photos and videos taken, it is over and doesn't really make a difference to the passengers. I do enjoy the ceremony and the speeches, but they don't change the cruise experience either (unless it happens my the Maiden Voyage ;)). It ooks like it will not be until the inaugural? which changes the idea that the ship is "christened" for it's first trip. I would still watch the videos.

What inspired me to even open this thread was Fiona being a godmother and several of us had made comments about who and why we would like to see in that role. BTW, Fiona is not all that bad, she is kinda cute really.

Lynne

... It looks like it will not be until the inaugural? which changes the idea that the ship is "christened" for it's first trip.

The Christening takes place in Miami on February 5, the day after we arrive in Miami. Unfortunately, there will not be space for the general public to attend -- invitation only.

The naming of Shrek's Fiona as Godmother of the Allure of the Seas has made for some hilarious threads on the Royal Caribbean board...

Apparently some folks take this Godmother thing quite seriously...

Though most of us, I would guess, couldn't care less...

Think back on all of the cruises you've been on and see if you can remember who ANY of the Godmothers were...

What difference does it really make to your cruise experience?

Far more important who the Cruise Director is...the entertainers are... the Captain--MAYBE

If you think about it, virtually irrelevant issues like what silverware pattern they use in the main dining room or what fabric they use for the bedspreads in your cabin will have greater impact on your cruise than who the "Godmother" is...

So, whether they name a famous actress, a political wife, a socialite, a pop culture icon...or even an animated cartoon character makes no difference to me...

Just give me a nice ship and an enjoyable cruise...

One thing that's pretty certain; regardless of how any of us may feel about the issue, the Powers That Be take it very seriously. It's a real prestige category. I mean, it's pretty tough to top having Queen Elizabeth as the Godmum, but that doesn't mean they don't try. The media, especially, loves this procedure, and having a prestigious godmother attracts a lot of favorable media attention, which has never been a Bad Thing. Even having a popular animated cartoon figure attracted a lot of buzz and awareness, and actually was pretty clever.

It's also a lot of fun, and I, for one, can hardly wait to see how good a job FDR did in attracting a Godmother for his "baby".

I think one of the perks for the Godmother is a certain amount of free cruising, and if the person is exciting enough, it should be great fun to occasionally see her aboard.

Personally, I'm hoping for either Betty White, or, after her performance on Dancing With the Stars, Florence Henderson.

Archived