1. 1. Who should be Marina's godmum?

• Susan Sarandon
    • Hilary Clinton
    • Meryl Streep
    • Kate Winslet
    • Diane Sawyer
    • Catherine Zeta-Jones
    • Emma Thompson
    • None of the above, my choice is noted below!

If we are looking for a celebrity with the "O vibe" I go back to Betty White- doesn't take herself too seriously, has a good sense of humor, and ready for anything.

merryecho: I appreciate your referring to the "O vibe" and suggesting Betty White as an example. She is indeed a woman who seems as genuine, comfortable and fun to be with as anyone mentioned. Perhaps I have answered my own question, with the adddition of men, ofcourse!! ? ("what is the O vibe)

When we embarked the Nautica for our Black Sea cruise a couple of years ago, we saw the portrait of Fana Holtz, the godmother of the ship. As we were wandering around the ship, we saw her. She was in the cabin next door to us on deck 6 (before you ask, the owners suite).

She and her husband, Abel, were a delightful couple - very friendly. Of course, my curiosity got the best of me, so I googled the name and found that she is a Cuban immigrant and quite a philanthropist - her crowning achievement was Miami Children's Hospital - also known as Abel Holtz Hospital for Children.

I attended one christening -- NCL's Pride of Aloha, I think -- where they really wanted to give the honor to Hawaii Senator Inouye but couldn't cause he's a man. So they had some assortment of women actually push the button, but I believe he gave the speech. That's the closest I've seen to crossing that women-only-as-godmothers line.

Carolyn

Digby- It seems appropriate to have a 'godfather' for a ship as soon as that ship has a woman captain- but hopefully that can't be too far away.

Digby- It seems appropriate to have a 'godfather' for a ship as soon as that ship has a woman captain- but hopefully that can't be too far away.

I believe there already are female captains although not on "O" ships.

Don't think that Ms.Parker would accept the gig.

As an avid smoker, I don't think that she would care for the O smoking policy :rolleyes:

Didn't know that about Ms. P. It'd be awful to make the Godmother walk the plank.... :eek:

I'll cast a vote for Jan Fishbein as well. She's one very classy lady and a joy to be around. If anyone deserves this honor, she does. I can't think of a single person who has promoted Oceania as much as she has. Not only does she guide her clients to the Oceania experience but she honors us with her answers on this board. Thanks Jan from one very satisfied customer of yours and of Oceania.

Karen

Or as an alternative suggestion, I vote for Meryl Streep - - Not only a truly elegant lady and wonderful actress, she would be ideal if Jacques Pèpin were on board.

What a treat to have her play her Julia Child as he goes through one of his wonderful cooking demonstrations.

Oh well, one can dream - can't one?

Having sailed on all three ships we have never recognized any of the godmothers. I presumed they were wives of executives but there was no explanation with their pictures.

As to the suggestion of Sophia Loren. she is already the godmother of the MSC ships.

Jan is well known in the business and among those who sail Oceania regularly.

On our last cruise on Insignia, we were hanging around deck 4, in the area near the portrait of a woman, and I asked a crew member at the nearby desk who she was. The crew member said that she was the godmother of the ship, and said her name but I don't remember it. I do recall that the crew member said that the lady was the wife of one of the founders of the cruise line or something like that.

Does a godmother of a ship have to be alive? I think Julia Child really would fit the bill. Concentration on excellent cuisine, friendly and classy yet unpretentious.

If being alive is a must, I would nominate Judi Dench!:D

New vote- Sandra Bullock- she seems nice and maybe she would bring her hunky husband.
An inspired choice! Classy, genuine, unpretentious, understated .... very Oceania.

And for the culinary connection, she has a sister who's a Master Baker.

Or as an alternative suggestion, I vote for Meryl Streep - - Not only a truly elegant lady and wonderful actress, she would be ideal if Jacques Pèpin were on board.

What a treat to have her play her Julia Child as he goes through one of his wonderful cooking demonstrations.

Oh well, one can dream - can't one?

Meryl and Jacques, that would be a dynamic duo and THE cruise to book! LOL

Archived