rate increase because of oil price?

pattyk

My travel agent said the companies are having it rough enough without charging fuel surcharges. She thinks it will be a while more before anyone gets charged.

I don't know about that. Bookings are way up for almost every line. All the cruise lines are reporting bookings are up 40 - 50% over this time last year. They are seeing a fantastic wave season - with bookings being enough that Carnival is raising the prices on their summer sailings March 22.

I believe that crude prices haven't hit a crisis mode yet, perhaps the lines have enough reserves that they don't need to implement the fuel surcharge again and none of them wants to be the first to implement a fuel surcharge.

When you go to "My Cruises" to check your reservation, it states the following:

"Royal Caribbean International reserves the right to impose a fuel supplement of up to $10 per guest per day on all guests if the price of West Texas Intermediate fuel exceeds $65.00 per barrel."

We had a increase last year, but was credited when the price of oil went down.

I think you will find like most airlines cruiselines lock there oil prices in on a 3 or 6 month contract. I suppose it will depend on what the price is when they renew. Hopefully it will drop drop again soon as the States comes out of its winter. These snow storm conditions have resulted in a greater demand.

Demand = Price rise. when the demand drops off prices will go down.... as long as the suppliers don't decrease production.

So lets all pray for wrm hot sunny days... except here in Australia.... cooler weather would be appreciated.

If by a "price increase" you mean the imposition of a fuel surcharge, the answer is no and as others have indicated as long as the price of oil remains relatively stable, it is highly unlikely that any line will impose such a surcharge regardless of the language which would permit them to do so. No line wants to be the first to do so.

However, you may find that prices will be going up as the economy improves and as demand for cruises increases. That is simply the effect of the law of supply and demand. The lines, if they are to be profitable, can only discount their fares so much and for so long. RCI continues to charge, and get, premium prices for its Oasis cruises and the likelihood is that if this situation continues, it will allow them to increase the fares on their other ships while still maintaining a sufficient difference in price to make it seem a bargain to book those ships.:) Bargain fares may never be better than they are right now and with the price protection that the lines offer to guests once they are under deposit, it might make sense to book now rather than wait.

Archived