Best Strategy to get your question answered

SheilaNC

Hi,

I've noticed recently that members are posting questions on this board that are likely to receive the best informational answers on other boards. So I thought I'd give you a heads up :)

1. If you want info about a particular port or location, go to the Ports o Call forum and look for that location to post your question.
  2. for information about embarkation ports (parking, hotels, transportation to the port, etc) go to Departures and post on East coast, West coast, etc. thread
  3. For information about a particular cruiseline or ship, go to the section where cruiselines are listed alphabetically
  4. This board is a great place to ask general questions about cruising; there are many other boards that deal with specific issues (such as fashion, saving money, specialty cruises, etc) so if those of topics of interest to you, you'd do better looking for those boards.

So...if you're not familiar with the wide scope of this amazing Web site, I hope you'll enjoy exploring to find the best place to find the information you are seeking. And be sure to post answers to the questions of others, when you've had experiences that would be helpful to them.

Enjoy!

and....

(if I may add?)

and... try to touch on your topic within the title of your message posted. Messages with titles like "Help me!" or "What should I do?" really don't catch people's attention.

Good point, Wendy, if you're not specific in naming your thread, you certainly might miss out on information because members don't know what it is you want to know and, therefore, might not read your thread....thanks.

Other ideas, folks?? :)

Good point, Wendy, if you're not specific in naming your thread, you certainly might miss out on information because members don't know what it is you want to know and, therefore, might not read your thread....thanks.

Other ideas, folks?? :)

Don't use your screen name as the title of the thread, here or on any other board.;)

I don't read threads with "help me" anymore either.

-Please also check if there is already a thread on your question. Sometimes there are 5 threads on 1 page about the same topic. Posters normally do not have the time to answer all those identical posts, or get pretty fed up after a while.

-If you are seeking help, accept the help offered. I cannot believe OP who react with "that is not true" or "what would you know" or "I know there are 500 responses that tell me it is not a good idea, but I am going to do what I want anyhow". If you were already so smart or so determined, why ask the question in the first place? When they see this kind of reply, other posters are not likely to post suggestions.

I disagree that a newbie should have to search the page to see if a question they want an answer to has already been answered. Many people are new to message boards of any type and do not realize their questions have been asked multiple times. Let them have some time to read a while and learn. At the very least, be gracious enough to guide them to the correct board and tell them where the search feature is....we were all new at one time ;)

I do agree that a new thread title should have at least a bit of the question in the header. I also wish that people wouldn't use words like "Beware!" and make the thread seem alarming, rather than "Be aware" when all they are really doing is to give information.

I don't really think every question asked has to be specific regarding what ship they are cruising, unless the question pertains to their specific ship, like cabin choices. So many main stream cruise lines are pretty much the same any more, just tweak the decor.

I disagree that a newbie should have to search the page to see if a question they want an answer to has already been answered. Many people are new to message boards of any type and do not realize their questions have been asked multiple times. Let them have some time to read a while and learn. At the very least, be gracious enough to guide them to the correct board and tell them where the search feature is....we were all new at one time ;)

I do agree that a new thread title should have at least a bit of the question in the header. I also wish that people wouldn't use words like "Beware!" and make the thread seem alarming, rather than "Be aware" when all they are really doing is to give information.

I don't really think every question asked has to be specific regarding what ship they are cruising, unless the question pertains to their specific ship, like cabin choices. So many main stream cruise lines are pretty much the same any more, just tweak the decor.

I don't know. If there are three threads about the same thing (and with the subject in the title) on the first page of the forum, it doesn't indicate to me that someone has taken 2 minutes to "read a while and learn." I don't think it's asking too much to expect someone to spend 10 minutes browsing a few pages of thread titles to get an idea of what's current. That's what I did when we first found CC.

Sure, it's not reasonable to expect anyone (new member or not) to search for every single thing. But it does get slightly irritating to realize that there are five threads in a row about the same thing on the same page!

I sometimes suggest how to search best (single forum at a time; advanced search; limited and specific search terms; shorter time frame) and occasionally do a quick search if I know I've seen or posted on the subject recently. I'll then list a few links to recent threads to get someone started. Often, the subject is one that is discussed so frequently that I'll also note my own posts--which often include a list of links to a few of the 15 (or what have you) recent or current threads about the subject. I will also try to guide someone to the appropriate forum, if that seems best.

Yes, thread titles should contain some idea of the question/subject. I know many members just breeze on by threads titled "Is this good?" or "I need help." Sometimes even the first line preview doesn't give a clue, so it's good to start right in when posting.

IMO, it does matter what cruise line and ship for more than cabin choice. Even though the mass market/mainstream lines are similar, more similar than different, IMO, there are enough differences that it's usually helpful to know. If someone hasn't booked yet, then obviously they can't do that, but they can give us an idea of what they're looking for in their thread. It's not that hard to include cruise line and ship name, if applicable.

I would add to the list of how to get the best answers:

Don't ask "Will we/my kids/my spouse/my parents like this?" unless you also give some ideas about yourselves. We don't know what someone else will like or what they might prefer without at least a tad of background information. Same goes for "Will I be disappointed in that-or-this?" Without some specifics, how can we know if someone will be disappointed in something?

beachchick

I know "use the search " is not a popular thing to say, I have no idea why, I use a search/FAQ's facility now as the first thing when looking for information, it is an easy way to find out what you want to know immediately from several different people. How many times are people supposed to answer questions about dress,kids, smoking,towels, what will the weather be like on such & such date, what currency is it on xxx? On 'Ports' you can get several questions asking the same thing on the same page, probably with a thread answering all of them too! OK now you are thinking "if you don't like it don't answer"....well if we all did that nobody would get an answer!

Would it help, or would it be possible to have a 'CC navigation sheet'? Something very brief, that new enrollees would have popup as part of the enrollment screens. They would have to read it before their enrollment would be finalized?

Or stickies on each page on "How to get answers", "How to search" or "Your question is not new...see previous answers by doing this". This presupposes that people actually read the stickies... :rolleyes:

I've noticed recently that members are posting questions on this board that are likely to receive the best informational answers on other boards.

I've noticed likewise and I wonder if this is due to the RECENT REVISION of the main menu for this group? There is now a section for "First Time Cruisers" and one of the choices thereunder is "Ask a Cruise Question."

So, what do you know, first time cruisers are asking questions! :-)

Perhaps the menu structure needs to be re-thought???

Any change tends to create new behaviors; however, we want First Time Cruisers to ask questions....in fact, encourage them to do so. However, ALL members will benefit from understanding best ways and places to ask the questions to get the information they are seeking. In my experience, these strategies apply to just as well to new and experienced members. See my previous post for the best way to send your suggestions to the Community Manager.... :)

Hi,

I've noticed recently that members are posting questions on this board that are likely to receive the best informational answers on other boards. So I thought I'd give you a heads up :)

1. If you want info about a particular port or location, go to the Ports o Call forum and look for that location to post your question...

But if you opt to go to Port o Call looking for expert info on a port one finds this:

Local Experts

If you are a local expert, your participation on the forums must be general in nature. You may not recommend local businesses or tour operators. We define a "local expert" as someone who either LIVES IN or KNOWS A GREAT DEAL ABOUT (this will be determined at the sole discretion of Cruise Critic Management) a port of call...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/announcement.php?f=5&a=190)

Might I suggest writing like you would normally write. That means using a font this is big enough to be easily read and using more than one big long paragraph.

If I have to work to hard to read the question then I just move on.

Some really good suggestions. It does seem that many people new to this or any other forum tend to stop at the very first area of the board. I noticed that when the holiday area was running, many newbies started threads there instead of scrolling down on the main page of the board. So I guess other times of the year, the first section gets many people asking if anyone is "on our cruise." So maybe, if possible technology-wise, when people first register for CC, they are then sent to a quick tutorial.

I would add a suggestion that people don't choose an icon unless it is applicable to the subject. So many times someone will be giving an impression of a cruise, for example, and put a thumbs down or unhappy face, but are just giving positive feedback. Someone will ask about that and the OP will say it was a mistake. That seems strange to me as I never have to select an icon in order to start a thread.

I don't read threads with "help me" anymore either.

-Please also check if there is already a thread on your question. Sometimes there are 5 threads on 1 page about the same topic. Posters normally do not have the time to answer all those identical posts, or get pretty fed up after a while.

-If you are seeking help, accept the help offered. I cannot believe OP who react with "that is not true" or "what would you know" or "I know there are 500 responses that tell me it is not a good idea, but I am going to do what I want anyhow". If you were already so smart or so determined, why ask the question in the first place? When they see this kind of reply, other posters are not likely to post suggestions.

Those of us who live in the Southern California area find that frequently people will ask about an area to stay in or a hotel, but when we Angelenos give our advice (and often with a consensus), the OP will often say they're going to stick with their original plan. I guess they don't understand that there are dicey areas here or dumpy hotels and poor public transit.

Archived