Lunch in MDR on embarkation day?

asylum575

We were on the Grandeur last week and on embarkation day, the dining room was not open for lunch. We were sent to the WJ. Did I miss something? We hadn't been on RCCL in a while and were surprised. They also had the MDR closed on dismbarkation day for breakfast.

We look forward to starting our cruise and ending it in the civilized dining room as opposed to the free-for-all up at the buffet. Our last few cruises have been on NCL and we have been able to start and finish the cruise in the MDR.

We always find the WJ ir any buffet a little too hectic. Too much stimulation for the DS5 and DD2. We had all but three meals in the MDR. I will always trade selection for serenity.

Is this the norm now?

We were on the Grandeur last week and on embarkation day, the dining room was not open for lunch. We were sent to the WJ. Did I miss something? We hadn't been on RCCL in a while and were surprised. They also had the MDR closed on dismbarkation day for breakfast.

We look forward to starting our cruise and ending it in the civilized dining room as opposed to the free-for-all up at the buffet. Our last few cruises have been on NCL and we have been able to start and finish the cruise in the MDR.

We always find the WJ ir any buffet a little too hectic. Too much stimulation for the DS5 and DD2. We had all but three meals in the MDR. I will always trade selection for serenity.

Is this the norm now?

There hasn't been lunch on embarkation day in the MDR in a loooong time, though I can't put a date on it.

I have never been on a cruise, however, when the MDR was NOT open for breakfast on the final day. THAT I find odd.

If you time it better, the WJ isn't that crowded on embarkation day, i.e., get there early, 11-ish.

:)

WHen we boarded, we went straight to the MDR. WHen they were closed , we walked around , hoping they would open at noon. By the time we went up to WJ, it was nuts.

They definitely did not have breakfast in the MDR on the last day. We were in the MDR as part of the priority disembarkation for the platinum and diamond members. They had coffee/tea and pastries, not a to order breakfast.

WHen we boarded, we went straight to the MDR. WHen they were closed , we walked around , hoping they would open at noon. By the time we went up to WJ, it was nuts.

They definitely did not have breakfast in the MDR on the last day. We were in the MDR as part of the priority disembarkation for the platinum and diamond members. They had coffee/tea and pastries, not a to order breakfast.

The MDR on the Grandeur has two levels. (it's on two decks).

Perhaps the priority disembarkation was on one deck, and the breakfast on the other. It's my opinion that this is the likely answer to what you saw.

....not sure why that's the 1st thing everyone does when they board a ship!

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that they were hungry.

On the Oasis last month, the Opus dining room deck three was open for lunch for Diamond Plus and Suite guests on embarkation day from noon until two. Not sure if this is an every week thing for the Oasis.

The MDR on the Grandeur has two levels. (it's on two decks).

Perhaps the priority disembarkation was on one deck, and the breakfast on the other. It's my opinion that this is the likely answer to what you saw.

This has been my experience as well. One level is open for breakfast on debarkation day and the rest is used as "debarkation lounge".

To the OP, yep it´s the norm today that the MDR is closed for lunch on embarkation day as well as most of the port days.

I forgot to mention the port days. Thanks

I just prefer the dining room.

MDR not being open on port days can vary...We were on ROS May '09 Alaska and the MDR "was" open for lunch when were in port at Ketchikan..Best to check when onboard to be sure...

The reason why the MDR is closed om embarkation day it due to the fact that all available crew are busy hauling luggage and doing a variety of other duties that first day. Makes sense.

Happy Cruising,

TnT

Understandable, although NCL still does it. They have a small staff in the MDR. They pretty much direct everyone upstairs to the buffet. You have to be a bit persistent, but when you get there, it's well worth it.

It's just a personal preference. I like the dining room. You run less of a risk of running into a pushy buffet hog. You know the type, they're on every cruise.

Not being able to start my cruise in the MDR won't stop us from sailing RCCL, just a little disappointed. To be honest with you, I was more disappointed with the entertainment on the last cruise on Grandeur. I still had a nice time. We just enjoy being away and it would take a lot to ruin our vacation. I'm just posting a personal preference, not complaining. RCCL offers a good product.

On our Rhapsody cruise in December, we asked about the MDR upon embarkation, and it was open, but only for travel agents who were touring the ship that day. However, I went into the MDR to just check out where my assigned table was (never had assigned seating before), and they started to point me to a table for lunch! We'd already eaten in the WJ.

Not sure if the travel agent story was not full disclosure, or if they thought I was a travel agent (I certainly wasn't dressed nicely enough!)

--Michael

On our Rhapsody cruise in December, we asked about the MDR upon embarkation, and it was open, but only for travel agents who were touring the ship that day. However, I went into the MDR to just check out where my assigned table was (never had assigned seating before), and they started to point me to a table for lunch! We'd already eaten in the WJ.

Not sure if the travel agent story was not full disclosure, or if they thought I was a travel agent (I certainly wasn't dressed nicely enough!)

--Michael

I have no idea why they pointed you to a table, but I've been on a few ships tours with lunch in the dining room. There are usually only about 40 people, all seated together and kept together as a group until the tour and lunch are over. We have then been able to wander the ship for about an hour or so, but have to disembark well before the muster drill starts.

Most people on the tours are dressed in casual clothing, not really dressed up, thye look like any other passenger onboard.

The MDR has always been closed during embarkation as far as I can recall - on several different ships - but we always have breakfast in the MDR on disembarkation. I certainly hope RCI isn't discontinuing this as it would be a big disappointment. And, yes, the various Lido Cafes/Windjamers - different names on different ships - can become quite crowded and hectic at peak times. This in direct proportion to the size of the ship in my opinion - I do like it when a crew member helps carry your tray to a table but this practice seems to be fading away along with quite a few of the older niceties. We usually explore the ship on embarkation and then go up to the Windjammer/Lido for a little snack later. I do not quite understand the "feeding frenzy" that seems to be the norm...to the best of my knowledge no passenger has ever gone hungry on a cruise ship!

Going straight to the WJ after boarding is just what we always do. It's part of the ritual of embarkation day for us. We are always at the port early and usually are among the first to get on board so we never have a problem getting a table. I know it's crowded and hectic but it's a big part of our cruise experience. Eat, get out and go walk around the ship or find a quiet place to sit until our room is ready.

We had lunch in the MDR last April on Radiance on embarkation day, but only because we were part of a large group of consecutive cruisers. Our lunch was at noon from a special menu and we were done by 1PM. We were seated on Deck 4 on the right side of the room.

I understand this is done on all ships if there are enough consecutive cruisers to warrant such a lunch. We are doing a consecutive cruise on Serenade in April so we shall wee what happens.

Archived