Has anyone chosen not to buy insurance?

cards09

We are in your age bracket and have no trouble whatsoever purchasing travel insurance that covers everything from pre-existing conditions to medical emergencies to medical evacuation.

There are NO stipulations in any of our policies at all about any change in medication 3 months in advance of a trip. :confused: My husband's blood pressure and diabetes medication is adjusted on an "as needed" basis, depending on his B/P readings and sugar levels. He has had, on several occasions, medications added/deleted just before our leaving on a cruise. I have not seen any such stipulation anywhere - can you tell me what company provides this clause as a part of it's issuance?

What type companies have you looked into? We have used Travel-Ex and Access America, as well as some cruise-line insurance (tho' not very often). No problems at all.

If what you say is true, there would not many elderly passengers traveling as most could not afford to lose their trip costs and airline costs, let alone pony up $25,000+ for a medical emergency or medical evacaution while traveling.

I looked into this about 2 years ago, specifically was looking for insurance that covered medivac for my husband who is over 75 years. Figuring what we needed was true emergency insurance only. If we lost the costs of the trip that would be okay. Simply wanted insurance to help us if we had a health issue while travling since Medicare is of not assitance outside the US.

I can't recall what companies I checked out. I had them send me information in the mail. Everyone I looked into had a stipulation that any changes in medical care within last 3 months prior to a trip would make the insurance invalid for a pre existing condition. Since my husband is on Medicare and has Kaiser Health insurance, sometimes his meds for blood pressure are changed for no specific medical reason, only due to costs for Kaiser. The clauses I read made me feel that buying insurance on an independent basis was risky for us. I wish I had kept the brochures I received, so I could quote to you the clauses I read. I even had my sister read the brochure since she works in the medical field.

I have been thinking about looking into the insurance offered by the cruise lines to see if it is different.

I was trying to buy insurance on an annual basis vs per cruise since we often cruise a couple of times a year and sometimes change our cruise plans from one cruise to another because we book in advance, as much as 6 -18 month in advance. We also do independent land travel overseas so an annual insurance option I thought made since.

Unfortunately I could not find the kind of coverage I wanted for folks over 75 years old.

Health issues aside, you may be interested in this thread from the Princess Boards, dealing with the earthquake in Chile

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1157069

In this case, the OP 'rolled the dice', and got caught by the lack of foresight. Princess just says to show up on time for embarkation. How you get there is up to you

I've had to use trip insurance one time, when I had to have heart surgery just before we were due to spend a week in St Lucia. Aside from a lot of inane paperwork and documentation requirements, I got my money back for both the hotel and flight

I always ask myself "How much can I afford to lose". If I am driving to Ft Lauderdale or Port Canaveral for a 4 night cruise, I might be willing to skip insurance, and, if something happens, it is on me. If I am spending $7,000 to fly to South America for the filght, hotel and cruise, you can absolutely bet that I will be buying insurance

Many people do not buy insurance. Sometimes they then come here with posts such as, "We didn't buy insurance, but now we have to cancel at the last minute due to such-and-so medical/home/work/family problem. How do we get the cruise line to refund our money anyway?" That irks me quite a bit. If they can manipulate the cruise line into refunding their money even though it's within a penalty period, why the hell should the rest of us buy insurance? Why don't we all just expect the cruise lines to "refund our money anyway" and not bother? That's right along the lines of people who don't buy homeowners insurance and then try to get the government (i.e., the rest of us and our tax money) to pay for their losses if they have a fire, flood, earthquake, etc.

The bottom line is that it's a gamble either way: Buy insurance and don't need it, you lose; don't buy it and need it, you lose. Don't buy it and don't need it, you win; buy it and need it, you win. It just depends on priority, cost of the trip (and your own financial comfort level), and other personal decisions.

We always buy insurance for trips that cost more than a few hundred dollars because we have long-term medical conditions (and have filed two claims for medical reasons), we know that companies can go bankrupt (see below), we know that travel delays/interuptions due to any number of factors can be costly, and we know that life is "unfair," so we must be prepared for the worst and hope for the best. We also buy it within the time-frame specified for it to include pre-existing medical conditions (which BTW, most policies require in order to cover pre-ex medical for immediate family members whether they are traveling with you or not), bankruptcy, terrorist attacks, and a number of other "extras."

About cruise line or other travel provider bankruptcy: We never buy insurance through the cruise line or other provider because it doesn't cover us in the event of their bankruptcy. We would have lost a hefty sum 2 months after 9/11 had we not purchased third-party insurance for our 25 day Hawaii trip, which was to include a "make up" cruise to replace the one earlier that year which had resulted in us making a medical claim that allowed us to book the 25 day fall trip in the first place!

beachchick

Health issues aside, you may be interested in this thread from the Princess Boards, dealing with the earthquake in Chile

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1157069

In this case, the OP 'rolled the dice', and got caught by the lack of foresight. Princess just says to show up on time for embarkation. How you get there is up to you

Exactly - thanks for posting the link to that thread........decisions have consequences.

If you choose no to buy insurance you have to live with that no matter what happens.

Many here say they don't need insurance because they're healthy. I'm amazed that so many can't see beyond their good health. It's not just about your current medical condition which can change in a heartbeat, or lack thereof. It's also about acts of nature and the fact that many of us do things that we would never even consider at home. (parasailing, zip lines, jet skis, etc)

My dad had no known health problems until he had a heart attack at age 62. (we were not prepared to lose him) Husband was very healthy when he fell and needed a mediflight ($35,000) to get him the care he needed. And, we lost a son from a cancer that was so aggressive it was slightly less than 60 days from diagnosis to funeral.

If you can afford the loss and choose to self insure, that's fine. But when you're making that decision, please consider everything, not just how you're feeling today............

For those concerned with pre-existing medical conditions if you purchase Gold policy (not that expensive) through Travel Guard within the 1st 15 days of purchasing your cruise it waives the pre-existing conditions clause.

Also remember the reason you may have to cancel may be due to a parents death. This happened to my BIL when his mother died. They didn't have insurance and had several very tense days while his mother was dying not knowing whether they would have to cancel. Ends up he missed the cruise for the funeral.

I have gone without insurance before but rarely. If you get your insurance through a reputable independent company other than the cruise line it's not that expensive (ok if you're 70+ it does go up considerably).

When we first started cruising, we didn't buy insurance, as time went by our cruises became more complicated and expensive and we spent more time on CC listening to horror stories we realized we need insurance.

Now it is a rare trip that is not insured.

We always buy insurance. Living in Florida I'm not not really concerned about missing the ship or lost bags. I could eat the cost of the missed cruise or lost bags. I can't afford the cost of a medical evacuation. We get a great deal on insurance through USAA and consider it part of the cost of cruising.

We have been on more than 50 cruises (nearly 2 years at sea) and have only bought insurance for 2 trips when my in-laws were in a frail condition. Since we cruise and travel all over the world we are very concerned about trip evacuation. But our answer to this problem was to purchase a simple policy issued by American Express (to cardholders) that gives annual coverage for trip evacuation and medical for about $140 a year (total for two). This one AMEX policy covers any trip up to 45 days in length and there is no limit on the number of trips over the policy year. If we had bought typical travel insurance for each of our cruises and trips our cost of insurance would probably have exceeded $30,000 over the years. Our only concern is medical coverage and emergency evacuation since these costs can be excessive. As to trip cancelation, we can afford to take that risk since the money is already spent and the liablity limited to that cost.

Hank

We have been on more than 50 cruises (nearly 2 years at sea) and have only bought insurance for 2 trips when my in-laws were in a frail condition. Since we cruise and travel all over the world we are very concerned about trip evacuation. But our answer to this problem was to purchase a simple policy issued by American Express (to cardholders) that gives annual coverage for trip evacuation and medical for about $140 a year (total for two). This one AMEX policy covers any trip up to 45 days in length and there is no limit on the number of trips over the policy year. If we had bought typical travel insurance for each of our cruises and trips our cost of insurance would probably have exceeded $30,000 over the years. Our only concern is medical coverage and emergency evacuation since these costs can be excessive. As to trip cancelation, we can afford to take that risk since the money is already spent and the liablity limited to that cost.

Hank

Hank that sounds very interesting, can you tell me the name of the policy and how you go about getting one, we are card holders too.

I used to purchase various types of insurance until I learned from an insurance professor that we should not purchase insurance unless we cannot afford the loss.

His theory is do not buy extended warranty, travel insurance (except medical), and whole life insurance, because the risk is too low and premiun too high. If we lose, it won't ruin our life.

He said however eveyone should purchase term life insurance, long term disability, and mortgage insurance because if we die our family will be in financial jeopardy.

That's no theory; that's a fact. I'm an insurance professional and I agree with every word of this. I self insure for trip-cancellation. I only insure catastrophic events.

Hank

Hank - I would be interested in this as well. I am an Amex cardholder. We are looking at MedJet Assist but that is $385 per year for a two.

That's no theory; that's a fact. I'm an insurance professional and I agree with every word of this. I self insure for trip-cancellation. I only insure catastrophic events.

Just trying to clarify your meaning of "catastrophic events. Are you including medical evacuation/use of an "air ambulance" in your coverage?

The following is from the US Dept of State Travel.State.Gov website:

If an American citizen becomes seriously ill or injured abroad, a U. S. consular officer can assist in locating appropriate medical services and informing family or friends. If necessary, a consular officer can also assist in the transfer of funds from the United States. However, payment of hospital and other expenses is the responsibility of the traveler.

Before going abroad, learn what medical services your health insurance will cover overseas. If your health insurance policy provides coverage outside the United States, REMEMBER to carry both your insurance policy identity card as proof of such insurance and a claim form. Although many health insurance companies will pay "customary and reasonable" hospital costs abroad, very few will pay for your medical evacuation back to the United States. Medical evacuation can easily cost $10,000 and up, depending on your location and medical condition.

THE SOCIAL SECURITY MEDICARE PROGRAM DOES NOT PROVIDE COVERAGE FOR HOSPITAL OR MEDICAL COSTS OUTSIDE THE U.S.A.

I realize you are Canadian, but am just curious if those "catastrophic event" policies in Canada cover the above situation.

Our private health insurance policy WILL cover some medical expenses outside the US, but definitely does not cover medical evacuation. We always buy travel insurance that does, and also have the policy include "Cancellation/Cessation of Trip for Any Reason".

Thanks in advance for your reply, & Smooth Sailing always. :)

First, let me say we always purchase insurance before traveling. We are both "seniors" and proud to say we are both in excellent health. However, a few weeks ago, we were enjoying our day when all of a sudden DH blacked out. In a matter of seconds, we went from being happy and carefree to being in an emergency room quite concerned and worried. Fortunately it was nothing serious but we learned just how quickly things in your life can change. So, for our peace of mind, we will continue to purchase travel insurance every time we travel.

Hank - I would be interested in this as well. I am an Amex cardholder. We are looking at MedJet Assist but that is $385 per year for a two.

I do not believe MedJet Assist will perform med-evac's from cruise ships. Their FAQ section on their website gives this disclaimer:

Will you rescue me in any medical emergency no matter where the location?

No. We cannot guarantee evacuation from remote locations that do not have an accessible landing strip.

Due to the limited medical facilities and testing available on cruise ships, in some cases MedjetAssist may require the member to be admitted to a hospital on shore before scheduling medical transportation to another hospital.

And from here on a Cruise Critic thread already on this Holland America board ("Husband Had a Heart Attack Yesterday....":

post_old.gif February 23rd, 2010, 07:23 PM

sail7seas user_offline.gif

Charter Member - 5,000+ Club

icon1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudscraper viewpost.gif

According to the president of Medjet, transportation occurs in-patient to in-patient (hospital to hospital). But, if there is no hospital or clinic at the site of your illness or injury, contact Medjet and if it is determined that you would be hospitalized if one were available, Medjet would transport you. I would interpret this to mean that Medjet would transport you from the ship only if there were no hospitals in your vicinity.

Rich

Rich,

My question to Med Jet was very clear. No confusion.

Does Med Jet medically evacuate policy holders from ships?

Answer: No. From the first port the ship arrives at after you become ill.

They do not have helicopters.

We had looked into purchasing a MedJet policy last year and decided to stick with our regular travel insurance mainly for that reason - no evacuation from the ship. If a passenger is ill enough to require medical evacaution from the ship, one can only then hope that he/she can stay alive long enough to get to a port. Not a risk we are willing to take!

It's so hard to wade through all the legal-eze in these various contracts. Luckily, our TA pointed out the fact that MedJet would not evacuate from cruise ships. :)

Last week the Star Princess was to pick up 2700 passengers in Santiago. The earthquake closed Santiago airport and only about 300 passengers were able to make the trip. If you didn't have insurance Princess said "too bad - you didn't make the ship - no refund". If you had insurance, and apparently less than 2/3 of the passengers did, you were out the cost of air fare, transfers, hotel, and cruise. On a 32 days cruise than ran into the 10's of thousands of dollars for some people.

My wife and I always carry insurance. And have collected. Although we are both healthy (or so we thought) my wife had her annual check-up two months before a seven week vacation and cruise. The Dr found the start of a cancer. Needless to say we did not make the trip.

On our last cruise, Santiago to Rio we had two medivacs - one by RAF helicopter from mid-Atlantic to the Falkland Islands the other into Buenos Aires. I don't know if the people had insurance.

Another friend had his mother die the day before a cruise. He could have claimed if had insurance - he didn't.

If you don't take insurance, make sure you can afford the loss in case something happens. For a week long Caribbean cruise that could be only a couple of thousand, but for a month long cruise with land tours you are looking at over $10,000.

Last week the Star Princess was to pick up 2700 passengers in Santiago. The earthquake closed Santiago airport and only about 300 passengers were able to make the trip. If you didn't have insurance Princess said "too bad - you didn't make the ship - no refund". If you had insurance, and apparently less than 2/3 of the passengers did, you were out the cost of air fare, transfers, hotel, and cruise. On a 32 days cruise than ran into the 10's of thousands of dollars for some people.

My wife and I always carry insurance. And have collected. Although we are both healthy (or so we thought) my wife had her annual check-up two months before a seven week vacation and cruise. The Dr found the start of a cancer. Needless to say we did not make the trip.

On our last cruise, Santiago to Rio we had two medivacs - one by RAF helicopter from mid-Atlantic to the Falkland Islands the other into Buenos Aires. I don't know if the people had insurance.

Another friend had his mother die the day before a cruise. He could have claimed if had insurance - he didn't.

If you don't take insurance, make sure you can afford the loss in case something happens. For a week long Caribbean cruise that could be only a couple of thousand, but for a month long cruise with land tours you are looking at over $10,000.

Sorry - I need to edit my post and the 15 minute time expired. It should read "If you did not have insurance, you were out the cost of air fare, transfers, hotel, and cruise."

We had looked into purchasing a MedJet policy last year and decided to stick with our regular travel insurance mainly for that reason - no evacuation from the ship. If a passenger is ill enough to require medical evacaution from the ship, one can only then hope that he/she can stay alive long enough to get to a port. Not a risk we are willing to take!

It's so hard to wade through all the legal-eze in these various contracts. Luckily, our TA pointed out the fact that MedJet would not evacuate from cruise ships. :)

I think we all look at insurance to fit our particular needs - in our case we live in Seattle and cruise a lot from FLL and the East Coast. We still purchase normal travel insurance for our cruises.

There has been thread on Princess board where a passenger was critically ill on the way back to FLL and hospitalized when they got in FLL (no helicopter evac ) and treated until stabilized in Florida. But the travel insurance would not pay to fly him back to California where he and his family live. Flying him home commercially was not an option. Luckily, they had MedJet coverage and they flew him back home via a medical jet. That is why we would purchase this type of policy.

We have been in that situation - my DH was hospitalized in Florida for two weeks and trying to get him home was an ordeal. We ended up having him go directly from the hospital bed to an Airline seat for a cross county flight. I would not want to repeat this.

Helicopter evac from the ship is another story. I am not sure what the cruiselines policy is about who can do medical evacuations from a ship. We have only witness one evac from a ship and it was the US Coast Guard off the coast of Oregon. My understanding is the medical evac from the ship is the Ship's Doctors decision and normal travel insurance would cover that cost.

We did not buy insurance for our first few cruises but then for some reason we were sailing out of New Orleans for a 7 day and I bought insurance but not the cruise lines. I became ill while coming into Grand Cayman. Doctor had me leave the ship and fly home as soon as the tenders started. Here is a tip though, if you have to leave a ship in Grand Cayman due to medical ER and want to fly home be sure your paperwork says you are ok to fly. I had to see a second doctor on Cayman before AA would let me fly. It was a nightmare and costly because of times we missed flights and had to stay over in hotels, etc. The good news is insurance covered every penny that was spent from leaving ship to front door of home. So yes we buy insurance for the medical coverage.

Archived